Barnstable County Sheriff to expand Comm. | MassCops

Barnstable County Sheriff to expand Comm.

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by 9X19, Sep 5, 2013.

1. 9X19

9X19 MassCops Member

Cape Cod - Barnstable County Sheriff Jim Cummings was notified Aug. 30 by the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security and the State 911 Department that his office has been awarded a grant for fiscal year 2014. It was awarded under the aegis of the State 911 Department of Regional Public Safety Answering Point, the Regional Secondary Public Safety Answering Point, and the Regional Emergency Communications Development Center.
    The $203,833 awarded will be used for a feasibility study, for project management services, and for architectural and engineering services for the development of a regional emergency communications center.

The Sheriff’s Communications Center is widely recognized as one of the largest and most efficient regional communications centers in New England. Currently, the center serves as a regional “911” Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for the towns of Falmouth, Mashpee, Joint Case Cape Cod, Harwich, Chatham, Brewster, Orleans and Wellfleet. This PSAP also serves as the back-up for several communities as well as Dukes County (Martha's Vineyard).
    The Sheriff’s Office provides fire dispatch services for the Barnstable and West Barnstable Fire Districts, as well as the towns of Bourne, Mashpee, Orleans, Wellfleet, Brewster, Dennis, Harwich and Joint Base Cape Cod Fire departments. The Barnstable County Fire Mutual Aid System is maintained and dispatched from the Sheriff’s Center as well. The Sheriff’s Office also operates a technical division which maintains, repairs and installs communications equipment for all public safety agencies on Cape Cod. This service is provided free of charge to the communities it serves.

The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center was formalized in 1938 when the Massachusetts legislature enacted Chapter 100, Acts of 1938. It authorized the Sheriff to operate a “police broadcasting radio system.” Today, the communications division is under the supervision of Peter Thomas, Chief Deputy of Communications. A staff of 30 includes a director, an assistant Director, 25 full-time telecommunicators, and 10 part-timers. All members of the staff are certified in CPR, First Responder, APCO (Association of Public Safety Communication Officials) basic telecommunicator and APCO EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch).With an increase in communities looking to regionalize public safety communications, the Sheriff’s Office will now be able to move forward with plans to expand to accommodate any town who those requests – incorporating them into to the Sheriff’s Regional Communications Center.

Read more: http://www.wickedlocal.com/falmouth/news/x574264826/Barnstable-County-Sheriff-s-Office-receives-grant-to-expand-Communications-Center#ixzz2e34JiG68
    Follow us: @wlcapecod on Twitter | 268578153228770 on Facebook

http://www.wickedlocal.com/falmouth...eceives-grant-to-expand-Communications-Center

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

A good friend of mine works there and everything I've heard (not just from my friend) rates the job done there as excellent. Congrats on the grant.