Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get some information concerning BAPERN? Who runs its? How to get on it? and so on. Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I thought it was just a network or police frequencies monitored by all depts in the region. Kind of like WEMLAC is to Hampden and Hampshire County.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Boston Area Police Emergency Radio Network
By Gary Saffer of The Eastern Mass Scanner Guide

BAPERN was originally conceived in the early and mid seventies as a system to allow police departments in the greater Boston area to be able to communicate with each other while at the same time having discrete local operating frequencies. As conceived, it would go beyond the existing intercity system, which only allowed base stations to communicate and would allow mobile and even portable radios from different agencies to communicate directly via a system of district and region wide repeaters. This would allow for joint operations to be coordinated on one set of frequencies as opposed to a patchwork of different bands and frequencies.

In addition to the Local frequencies known as BAPERN 1 there are district and regional frequencies as listed below. A few systems also have a second local operations frequency that may be used for a variety of purposes. BAPERN 3 is the primary intercity frequency used in the system. Pursuits will often be simulcast on the local channel and BAPERN 3. Also descriptions of wanted persons will be broadcast.

BAPERN District Freq (MHz) PL (Hz)

BAPERN 2 NORTH 470.4875 131.8

BAPERN 2 WEST 470.7375 131.8

BAPERN 2 SOUTH 470.9125 131.8

BAPERN 2 NORTHEAST 471.7625 118.8

BAPERN 3 470.7875 131.8

BAPERN 4 470.5625 131.8

For more complete information on BAPERN visit:

http://www.scanboston.com/bapern.htm

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last I knew Newton was running BAPERN 3. I know we still do the monthly radio tests. I will look into how to join when I get into work this afternoon.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
A while back, I heard of the Bapern system being redistricted to include a Bapern "Central" district. Any word on that?

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
The Greater Boston Police Council (BAPERN)
2 Winter Street Suite 302
Waltham, Ma 02451
tel 781-899-3331
fax 781-647-9501

email [email protected]
www.bapern.org or www.gbpc.org

Make sure you tell them your department will not play music on the channel like some officers do who think their funny.

If you are stationed over in Boston/Charlestown I can give you a copy of the policies, practices and procedures.

·
1,952 Posts
COLE said:
Last I knew Newton was running BAPERN 3. I know we still do the monthly radio tests. I will look into how to join when I get into work this afternoon.
I thought that was done every Monday... State PD to XX BAPERN 3. XX is on State.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You may be right. It's been a while since I've done it myself, I work the mids unless on OT, so I'm not working most monday mornings. We do how ever get letters and phone calls from other cities and towns requesting to use it and we foward it to the chief's office. Like I said it's been a while so it may have changed hands, but a few months a go we were doing it.
On another note I was unable to get any info about joining, the officer that controls our radio system is at in-service.

·
Registered
157 Posts
BHCCPD said:
Make sure you tell them your department will not play music on the channel like some officers do who think their funny.
Speaking of wise @sses on Bapern, does any department out there have an identifier for Bapern, or has anyone heard of such?

·
1,952 Posts
Joe B said:
BHCCPD said:
Speaking of wise @sses on Bapern, does any department out there have an identifier for Bapern, or has anyone heard of such?
I have never heard of such

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.