Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woman knocked down by deer in Salem :lol:

By Melissa Be

SALEM -- You've never seen Bambi behave like this.

Taking a page out of "Ripley's," a displaced deer ran down a pedestrian in the center of Salem yesterday, as the 59-year-old woman was attempting to cross Washington and Lynde streets in front of the Post Office.

The force of the impact threw the stunned woman to the ground as the deer continued to run through the downtown area. The woman suffered a cut to the head and was taken to Salem Hospital for treatment. Police refused to release her name, but said she is expected to be OK.

Dozens of homeowners and motorists called the Salem Police Department to report deer sightings within minutes of the bizarre collision.

Police said they tracked the animal though Ward 2, near the MBTA train station and near the site of the animal hit and run.

"We had a lot of calls because people were, of course, surprised to see a deer running around a really congested area," Salem police Lt. Scott Englehardt said. "We called the environmental police and they said that we should leave it alone because it was getting dark and it would bed down for the night soon."

As of last night, police had not located the animal, but were confident that the deer had returned to a wooded area. Police said they had no guesses as to where the animal might have come from. But they acknowledged that it is somewhat odd for a deer to be running around in the congested downtown area.

"The only other incident I can remember like this is when that deer fell into the water on Bridge Street a few months back. But a deer downtown? I've never heard of that," Englehardt said.

Witnesses on Washington Street told police that the deer appeared out of nowhere around 4:14 p.m., just as rush hour was beginning. Medical personnel responding to the scene initially thought a caller had misspoken and assumed that the woman had been struck by a car.

The deer was not hit by any vehicles, and did not hit any other pedestrians.

The victim, police say, will make a full recovery.

"The female who was struck was stunned -- who wouldn't be?" Englehardt said. "I mean, now she has something to tell her grandkids. Not too many people can say they got struck by a deer walking through downtown."

cher

Staff writer

Posted Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:14:

That hillbilly christmas song "grand ma got run over by a reindeer" keeps playing through my mind for some reason. :p

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
stm4710 @ 15 Aug 2004 12:11 said:
," Salem police Lt. Scott Englehardt said. "We called the environmental police and they said that we should leave it alone because it was getting dark and it would bed down for the night soon."

As of last night, police had not located the animal, but were confident that the deer had returned to a wooded area.
Posted Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:14:

:p
Oh Great!!!!
First, the Environmental Police not responding to an "assault & battery" Real professional attitude!
Secondly, how can anyone be sure the perp won't do this again? "confident" that the deer had returned to a wooded area? Give me a break! Based on what investigation? And how do we know the previous deer sighting at a bridge wasn't a homeland security issue?
:shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.