1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police Officer
Baltimore City Police
Dept. Civil Service Test
We encourage all candidates whom meet the below listed minimum requirements take our Free civil service police officer exam for over 300 vacancies.
Police Officer Salary Range
$35,784 - $57,983
At least 20 years and 9 months of age. U.S. Citizen (or naturalized). Have a valid drivers lic. Have a High School Diploma or GED.
Location: Sheraton Newton, 320 Washington St, Newton, Ma 02451
Dates: Friday 10/03/03
Saturday 10/04/03
Testing: 9am-12pm-3pm
Advance Registration Req'd: Call 1-877-PRIDEPD or (410) 396-2340/2341
Call between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Paid parking available on site.

·
Subscribing Member
4,376 Posts
Before you decide to work there, I highly recommend that you watch the following series on HBO

"The Wire" and "The Corner". Yes, Baltimore is a shit hole.

G

·
H50 said:
Before you decide to work there, I highly recommend that you watch the following series on HBO

"The Wire" and "The Corner". Yes, Baltimore is a shit hole.
I'm going to 2nd that I used to work for Amtrak and my crew and I worked there for a whole summer, calling Baltimore a shithole is being nice.Its the arm pit of the east coast.

·
Subscribing Member
460 Posts
Yeah Baltimore is one tough town..So far they've had over 150 murders so far this year...on average 250-300 murders anually..what's Boston at now 40 or 50...On the plus side you'd get experience very quickly..and you don't have to live in the city....Personally I'm kicking that option around..I have friends that live nearby...Can always go somewhere else after a few years...

G

·
John J said:
Can it be any worse than Boston or NYC?
Ya one would think NYC would be worse but not in this case, just becuase of the size difference, Baltimore is truly a DUMP and when you start to go further in the suburbs now your getting into clan country. When I worked there we worked with guys from the surrounding areas and most of them where Clan members, it was interesting to say the least, weird but interesting, those boys are wacked. Defintiley strange characters.

Another thing I remember about Marys land was the State Police park marked Cruisers on the side of the highway and put fully uniformed manicans in the drivers seat. Obviously to keep speeders in check.

G

·
I have been an officer in Baltimore for 24 years. I have no idea where you got the information that members of the dept from surrounding areas are clan members.
That is 100% bullshit.
Yes parts of Baltimore are very bad, however there are some very nice areas in Baltimore.
I will say that you will get a great deal of experience working in patrol.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Copper 25,

Is their academy a live in academy? How long does the hiring process usually take? Is Baltimore an expensive place to live? Thanks in advance for the info.

G

·
The Baltimore Police Academy is not a live in academy. I believe there is a special process for out of state applicants. Once in the academy it should last approx six months.
Over the years I have worked with many officers who have come from the metro Boston area. I have always been amazed how difficult they all say it is to get hired in the Boston area.
In recent years many traditional middle class neighborhoods have been invaded by yuppies. Houses that several years ago sold for 70k are now going for 250k. However there is no residency requirement. Nice houses in the newly yuppified areas vary in price. Many out of town officers have other officers as roommates.
Overtime is virtually unlimited ie: Oriole games, Ravens games and numerous other city overtime sites.
Don't get me wrong, the place is far from perfect but not as bad as some of the above replies.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks again for the info. I am taking the exam and I am going to give Baltimore some serious thought.

·
Subscribing Member
460 Posts
Copper very intrersted in your Dept...Just curious as to shifts Do your days off rotate or are they fixed.. On ot can you be held over to cover another shift?...And What's the retirement %'s like....Thanks in advance..

G

·
Sgt Jack

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
The present patrol schedule is 6 on and 2 off. The 5th and 6th week is 5 on with two three day weekends off.
There are times if the next shift is short they will allow you to work a double at time and a half. It is not mandatory.
The midnight shift is permanent. 8x4 and 4x12 rotate every 28 days.
Salary is 35,784 to 57,983
20 year pension at 50%

·
Subscribing Member
460 Posts
Copper that's no problem..I figured you guys are pretty busy down there........Thanks for the info...I'm gonna set a 4 day process when I get some time this winter to make the trip down...Anyway thanks again..

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
The test was good I was superised that they wanted us to start the Academy on OCT 31 if we choose to go to the four day process on oct 17th

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.