Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a question that has been in my head for some time.I have been informed I have 2 rib subluxations which is a medical term for ribs dislocating from the spine. This is not the same as an intercostal strain which is a muscle pull of the muscle in between two ribs. I learned by asking and reading, one of the causes for this subluxation is pressure or restriction of the rib cage. After a few years short of 20 wearing a vest, it has been suggested by a few professionals that the vest may have caused this condition. I am wondering are there any other cops here who have experienced the same thing and if so after how many years of vest wearing? I know there are numerous variables since I have done a fair share of rolling around with arrests...but I have met 2 other cops who are being treated for the same thing.......

G

·
I have not experienced such a thing, but I know if the vest is too tight sometimes it feels like my breathing is restricted. You may have been injured some other way, as you said, during those arrests, and the vest just worsened the condition. I'm glad you posted this, as it may help others that experience this.
I have not worn body armour as long as you have, so I will watch for signs, but I think those rough arrests are more to blame. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have heard of other duty equipment causing injuries over time.
I know MSP troopers where there gear all in the same place all the time. Could other gear have caused your injuries? Maybe the same cuff case, baton or mag holder, rubbing against your ribs in and out of the cruiser over the last 20 years?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts