Ballistic Vests for DOC ???? (Help) | MassCops

Ballistic Vests for DOC ???? (Help)

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by doc1126, Feb 28, 2020.

1. doc1126

doc1126 MassCops Member

Looking for some insight on starting this from the ground up.

Are there people in the know to help point me in the right direction on outfitting a certain number of staff for ballistic vests for a State Correctional Department.

That is, Perimeter Patrol Officers, Trip Officers, Hospital Posts, etc.

Is there any state/ country sherrifs dept out there that currently does this, and what posts?

Did you have to make changes to any departmental policies?

Was there any T&E involved?

Departmental funding or grants?

Quantity between shifts (are they issued directly to a staff member or shared?)

I know theres a lot that I am missing question-wise, but like I said, this is from the ground up and looking for a good place to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ps I know its taboo to talk about prison security in an open forum without it being questionable, I can take PM’s and go through my departmental email if needed.

2. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

DOJ has some funding available for grants to purchase body armor. I’m not sure if the grants are available to corrections agencies or not, but it would definitely be worth looking into.
    There are definitely some county guys that wear body armor, I’ve seen them wearing it before.
    Body armor should never be shared. Your body armor should be custom fit to your body.

pahapoika likes this.
  3. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Bulletproof Vest Program (BVP)

MQUOTE="doc1126, post: 1099133, member: 8809"]Looking for some insight on starting this from the ground up.

Are there people in the know to help point me in the right direction on outfitting a certain number of staff for ballistic vests for a State Correctional Department.

That is, Perimeter Patrol Officers, Trip Officers, Hospital Posts, etc.

Is there any state/ country sherrifs dept out there that currently does this, and what posts?

Did you have to make changes to any departmental policies?

Was there any T&E involved?

Departmental funding or grants?

Quantity between shifts (are they issued directly to a staff member or shared?)

I know theres a lot that I am missing question-wise, but like I said, this is from the ground up and looking for a good place to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ps I know its taboo to talk about prison security in an open forum without it being questionable, I can take PM’s and go through my departmental email if needed.[/QUOTE]

4. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Bulletproof Vest Program (BVP)

5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

State trans had a bunch of old vests that you could sign out. Not sure if they were from some original program and then turned in after people retired ?

The idea of wearing a used vest never appealed to me so never bothered checking one out, but I will say after doing a few road jobs in the 90-plus degree heat have washed my vest in a front loader. Despite what the manufacturers may say have done that a few times and seen no appreciable degradation of my body armor.

Just an FYI in case they give you an old vest because it seems the DOC likes to issue shitty, old equipment ( or at least they used to )