Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of u know I have an L4-L5 disc herniation that I am getting surgery for on april 6th. I have NO history of back problems, just this 1 injury. do any of u officers out there have back problems? or better yet do any of u out there know if this will end my LE career b4 it even begins?

Thanks guys I am really sweating this, i have to rethink my whole friggin life If i am disqualified from LE

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shoot a pm to topcop14. I know him personally and he had back surgury. He can give you some good info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It all depends on the Department that may be hiring, if you are politically connected, you may have a shot. Good luck gimpy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The following are medical conditions that doctors can disqualify for. The good news is that yours seems to be a category B (herniated disc). Category A's are automatically disqualifying. Category B's can be disqualified but are decided upon on a case-by-case basis.

a. Category A medical conditions shall include:
i. none

b. Category B medical conditions shall include:
i. cervical arthrodesis/fusion,/instability
ii. cervical canal stenosis,
iii. cervical radiculopathy or myelopathy,
iv. herniated disc,
v. degenerative disc disease,
vi. abnormal chronic contraction of neck muscles,
vii. any other neck condition that results in an individual not being able to perform the job of police officer

Category A and Category B Medical Conditions

· (a) A Category A Medical Condition is a medical condition that would preclude an individual from performing the essential job functions of a municipal police officer, or present a significant risk to the safety and health of that individual or others.

· (b) A Category B Medical Condition is a medical condition that, based on its severity or degree, may or may not preclude an individual from performing the essential job functions of a municipal police officer, or present a significant risk to the safety and health of that individual or others.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fizzarley said:
The following are medical conditions that doctors can disqualify for. The good news is that yours seems to be a category B (herniated disc). Category A's are automatically disqualifying. Category B's can be disqualified but are decided upon on a case-by-case basis.

a. Category A medical conditions shall include:
i. none

b. Category B medical conditions shall include:
i. cervical arthrodesis/fusion,/instability
ii. cervical canal stenosis,
iii. cervical radiculopathy or myelopathy,
iv. herniated disc,
v. degenerative disc disease,
vi. abnormal chronic contraction of neck muscles,
vii. any other neck condition that results in an individual not being able to perform the job of police officer

Category A and Category B Medical Conditions

· (a) A Category A Medical Condition is a medical condition that would preclude an individual from performing the essential job functions of a municipal police officer, or present a significant risk to the safety and health of that individual or others.

· (b) A Category B Medical Condition is a medical condition that, based on its severity or degree, may or may not preclude an individual from performing the essential job functions of a municipal police officer, or present a significant risk to the safety and health of that individual or others.
now is this if I have EVER had a herniated disc or if i have one @ the time of the physical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That'll be up to the doctor who will look at your medical history and also give you a physical. The doctor will determine whether or not he/she feels as though it won't get in the way of safely performing your duties as a police officer. Judgment call.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.