Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the net...I dont know if you should read it for the dumbass humor factor or if people might actually try to pull this off :rolleyes:

"It was saturday night and I was driving my girlfriend home late after a night of partying. I had not been drinking but I had been smoking excessivly. Even though i was stoned i could still function the vehicle great. I had three eights on me and to my horror i saw a cops flashing lights in my rear view. He pulled me over for a tail light out but once he saw my red eyes and since i smelled like Cheech, he was a little suspicious. He then spoke the words that any stoner dreads to hear. "Do you object to my dog taking a look inside your vehicle?" I knew i was fucked and the only thing that came to my head was to say no. I said that my girlfriend has bad asthma and is allergic to dogs. I explained thgat the dogs hair will make my girlfriend go into a sneezing fit and it would be bad. He gave me the most confused look ever then went back to his car. After sweating my sack off for 5 minutes he comes back and lets me go! I guess this is an excuse they havent heard and actually makes sense. So who says potheads dont have no braincells"

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
Hey MPOC!

Lesson Learned: you are not qualified to take Sydney on patrol with you. I checked with civil service and they said her eye condition disqualifies her from K-9 academy. That and her age keeps her off the list because our town won't take a dog over 5 years old

·
Registered
109 Posts
:eek: WOW I can't believe that excuse actually worked. You right 40th MPOC#309 Shame on him.
However you must admit, hes got balls to even try that. Hey I guess desperate times call for desparate measures :confused: One would think that getting abreak like that would make him think twice next however as we all know he wont.

·
Registered
665 Posts
well now we know that excuse won't ever work again for anyone after it being posted on a website full of cops., at we don't have to feel bad if we hear that one again

·
1,952 Posts
Originally posted by sja813:
well now we know that excuse won't ever work again for anyone after it being posted on a website full of cops., at we don't have to feel bad if we hear that one again
:D

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
BHCCPD said:
Hi LEOS,
I would have said since my K9 can search your car do you mind if I do?
Good point!! But you gotta give the kid credit too... of course he's a lying sack of crap, but he's quick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sniff

What I would have done in that situation is have the dog walk around the vehicle and then once the dog responded, search the vehicle for the drugs. The response, I believe, serves as probable cause to search.

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Re: sniff

k1ryan said:
What I would have done in that situation is have the dog walk around the vehicle and then once the dog responded, search the vehicle for the drugs. The response, I believe, serves as probable cause to search.
That might work, but you don't even have to go that far. The strong odor of pot is PC enough to be in the car lawfully.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

quality617 said:
That might work, but you don't even have to go that far. The strong odor of pot is PC enough to be in the car lawfully.
I go by the same method... However, I have heard conflicting stories from other PO's as far as whether or not that is still legit/enough to go on... some say yes, some say no... any case Law "Junkies" have any input on this?

·
Registered
40 Posts

k1Ryan is right an alert is PC. The exterior sniff of a vehicle is not a search (US v. Stone 1989, US v. Barbee 1992), and "When dog alerts to vehicle, officers have probable cause to search it" (US v. Chavira 1993, US v. Jeffus 1994 US v. Sukiz-Grado 1994). The PC is only good however if the car is legally detained by the police. All these cases are federal cases (federal district courts mostly) and are not questioned in the MA courts. A canine is a great tool. Anyone want any other cases let PM me and I will forward them to you. Happy to Help you all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
VOR @ Wed 09 Jun said:
If you can articulate based on your training and experience that you detect the odor consistent with that of marijuana coming from within a motor vehicle on a stop, you may search that vehicle for marijuana without the consent of the owner/operator. You may well find yourself at a motion hearing at some point, but so long as you have a valid stop and proper training and experience you should be good to go.
Do pre-LE highschool parties count? :punk:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts