Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on departments' individual policies concerning awards/medals/commendations/etc. Specifically, the guidelines that are used when determining what types of acts are or are not deserving of something beyond a "pat on the back." I'm trying to put together something for my department. Thanks for any assistance. Please PM me with info.

Be safe

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,713 Posts
apparently from the lack or responses this may be a laughable topic.:lol:

I know my agency hands out disciplinary actions like candy. The last Award was handed out in 1999. Since then smackings and grievances are the order of the day. Subsequently, Morale is something that hasn't been seen on the positive side of the scale in quite some time.
:(

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Oh come on...

Condemnation

n 1: an expression of strong disapproval; pronouncing as wrong or morally culpable; 2: (law) the act of condemning or judging to be unfit for use 3: an appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group 4: the condition of being strongly disapproved of.

See, all you had to do was look it up onlin-- <pauses> What? Oh, shit... you said commendation not condemnation? Sorry, can't help you there. :wacko:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm actually interested in this too. It is sad that we can readily find policies and literature on disciplinary action but tracking down policies for commendations and awards is difficult.

I put together a disciplinary matrix that covers our part-time officers and it has worked out quite well. I'm thinking of putting together a similiar matrix for awards with different levels - citation, commendation, medal, etc... I would ultimately like to have something that ties in discipline, performance evaluations and commendations.

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
For those of you inquiring about commendations and such, feel free to PM me. My department gives out quite a few commendations and medals over the course of a year. We have policies and requirements for them. I'd be more than happy to help you all out.

As far as why there isn't too much response to the original post, it may be because he asked to for folks to PM him, which I did. Maybe others did also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
LA Copper said:
For those of you inquiring about commendations and such, feel free to PM me. My department gives out quite a few commendations and medals over the course of a year. We have policies and requirements for them. I'd be more than happy to help you all out.

As far as why there isn't too much response to the original post, it may be because he asked to for folks to PM him, which I did. Maybe others did also.
R'ut R'oh - I think you are over the storage limit... ](*,)

If you could e-mail anything you have to me at bluesamurai22 -at- yahoo.com (replace the " -at- " with a @) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Glen

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
Umm, we got rid of the Officer of the Month because we couldn't find anyone good enough to commend. Does that mean anything?

·
Registered
186 Posts
LA Copper,

I would like to know what awards your department gives and regs on getting them, but when I tried to PM you it says your box is full and you can't receive any more PM's could you please PM me with the aswers. Thanks.

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
Glen,
I sent you an e-mail. Sorry about the full in-box.
Mike

bluesamurai22 said:
R'ut R'oh - I think you are over the storage limit... ](*,)

If you could e-mail anything you have to me at bluesamurai22 -at- yahoo.com (replace the " -at- " with a @) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Glen

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
As soon as I can figure out how to clear the in-box and sent-box, I shall send you a PM. If you want it on this open forum, let me know.

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
On second thought, it may be a while before I figure it out so I'll just post it here.

We have an awards committee that convenes twice a year to decide who is worthy of a medal. Our bravery medals in descending order are:

1.) The Medal of Valor: "an officer shall have performed an act displaying extreme courage while consciously facing imminent peril."

2.) The Police Medal: same criteria as above but to a lesser degree.

3.) The Police Star: Same criteria as above but to a bit of a lesser degree.

For commendations, an officer shall make some type of arrest or perform some type of function that is above the norm but does not amount to the criteria for a medal.
Any supervisor can recommend an officer for a commendation. It ususally talks about what the officer did, then commends him/her for good tactics, report writing, teamwork, etc. The commendation is signed off by the divisional captain and then placed in the officer's personnel package for the remainder of his career.

These things are good for officer morale and gives them incentive to do their jobs. Of course their paycheck is also an incentive but medals and commendations are an added plus.

If anyone has any questions regarding our policies, feel free to let me know.

Chief 801, do you have any input on this subject?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Somewhere in storage I have the official NYPD criteria for its commendation program, when I find it I'll post it. In the meantime, I found this online a while ago, but I cannot vouch for it's authenticity since I was never a LAPD officer, and I didn't recieve it from LAPD. Hope this helps...

Commendations
The Department will award appropriate commendations to employees and on-duty reserve officers who perform service or acs deserving official recognition. A commendation may be awarded posthumously.

Minor Commendations. A minor commendatory act (e.g. an employee's superior handling of a difficult situation or alertness resulting in the apprehension of a suspect) may be recognized through the completion of an Incident Report Form or an Employee's Report Form.

Bureau Commendation. The Bureau commendation may be confered upon employees or organizational units which perform outstanding service or balor similar to, but to a lesser degree then required for either a Police Star or Police Meritorious Service Medal, or Police Meritorious Unit Citation. The Bureau Commendation consists of a Commendation Report Form signed by the concerned bureau commanding officer. It is awarded by the Bureau Commander, in the name of the Department, at an appropreate ceromony.

Major Commendation. Outstanding performance of duty or an act involving commendatory bravery shall be recognized through a major commendation, which includes the conferring of a Departmental medal or unit citation.

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS FOR BRAVERY.

The awarding of a medal for Bravery shall be in recognition for a single action performed by a Departmental employee. Several incidents of bravery, each being worthy of an award, will not qualify an employee for a higher award.

Medal of Valor. The Medal of Valor is the Department's highest award and may be awarded to officers who distinguish t h e m s e l v e s b y conspicuous bravery or heroism above and beyond the normal demands of police service. To be awarded the Medal of Valor, an officer shall have performed an act displaying extreme courage while consciously facing imminent peril. It is awarded by the Board of PoliceCommissioners and is presented bythe Chief of Police in the name of theDepartment at the annual Medal ofValor awards ceremony. The awardconsists of a medal, ribbon, and citation.

Police Medal. The Police Medal may be awarded to employees who distinguish themselves by bravery or heroism above and beyond the normal demands of duty, but to a lesser degree than required for the Medal of Valor. It is awarded by the Chief of Police in the name of the Department and presented by the Chief, or the Chief's designee, at an appropriate ceremony. The award consists of a medal and ribbon.

Police Star. The Police Star may be awarded to: * Employees who distinguish themselves by bravery or heroism above and beyond the normal demands of duty, but to a lesser degree than required for the Police Medal. * Employees who distinguish themselves by performing in stressful situations with exceptional tactics and/or judgment. It is awarded in the name of the Department and presented by an Assistant Chief at an appropriate ceremony. The award consists of a medal and ribbon.

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS FOR SERVICE.

Individual awards for service are based on exceptional performance of duty, clearly above that normally expected, which has contributed materially to the success of a major project or field operation. Long and faithful service is not considered for purposes of such an award.

Police Distinguished Service Medal. The Police Distinguished Service Medal is the Department's highest award for service and may be awarded to employees who distinguish themselves by performing exceptional service in a duty of great responsibility or of critical importance to law enforcement. The Police Distinguished Service Medal is awarded by the Board of Police Commissioners in the name of the Department and presented by the President of the Board, or the President's designee, at an appropriate ceremony. The award consists of a medal, ribbon, and citation. Medal.

Police Meritorious Service Medal. The Police Meritorious Service Medal may be awarded to employees who perform meritorious service similar to, but to a lesser degree than required for, the Police Distinguished Service Medal. It is awarded by the Chief of Police in the name of the Department and presented by the Chief, or the Chief's designee, at an appropriate ceremony. The award consists of a medal and ribbon.

Police Commission Distinguished Service Medal. The Policecommission Distinguished ServiceMedal may be awarded to citizensand employees of other Citydepartments who distinguish themselvesby performing exceptional service to thisDepartment or by performing in astressful emergency situation withgood judgment and bravery.Department employees whodistinguish themselves by performingexceptional service to thisDepartment may be awarded thismedal.The Commission DistinguishedService Award is awarded by the Board of Police Commissioners inthe name of the Department andpresented by the President of the Board in an appropriate ceremony. The award consists of a medal, ribbon, andcitation. Note: This award is not to beawarded to Department employeesfor acts of valor or bravery sincethere are existing medals and awardswhich apply to these circumstances.

Human Relations Medal. The Human Relations Medal was established to appropriately recognize and award Department employees who have in their day-today activities shown great compassion and have gone above and beyond the call of duty in their response to fellow human beings. The award is presented by the Chief of Police and is primarily intended for on-duty actions.

SPECIAL CATEGORY - THE LIBERTY AWARD.

The Liberty Award is awarded to a police service dog (K9) that has been killed or seriously injured while engaged in police duties. The incident shall be recorded on a Commendation Report Form, with the canine's name and serial number placed in the "name" box. At the bottom of the Commendation Report the words "request for Liberty Award" shall be printed. The award, consisting of a medal mounted in a "shadow box," shall be displayed at the canine's division of assignment

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
Jon,
You pretty much got it. I just tried to cut it a bit shorter for this forum.
I'm coming back there for vacation for a couple of weeks later this month. I've got lots of examples if anyone wants to see them.

I'm still wondering what some of the local management thinks about this topic. How about it Chief 801, does your administration encourage these things?

·
Subscribing Member
3,457 Posts
Gumby,
You're very welcome. Always happy to help. Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

sempergumby said:
LA Cooper,

Thanks for the posting it is very interesting and worth more attention.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Hey LA! Shoot me a PM with your travel itinerary, I'd love to break away if I can for a coffee or beer while your out... BK

1 - 20 of 30 Posts