Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Philly....

Sorry, I dont know anything about those specific depts., but I have some suggestions as to how you could find out...

I would recommend meeting with someone from each of those depts....and ask very pointed questions before you join. Some important ones include: Do aux officers have police powers? Can we carry? Can we ride along with regular officers?

What kind of training do they provide? Are aux. ever called to assist regular officers?

You want to go to a dept. where you get as much experience as possible...that said, pretty much every aux dept in Mass is limited in what it can do. Don't think you will be answering calls, 'cause you won't (unless all the regulars are busy, and the nature of the call is pretty minor).

I've been on two different aux depts...and that has been my experience. Maybe someone else will post a different one.

Still, you can get some great experience that will serve you well when it is time to look for that first job. Take it for what it is, and don't get frustrated when you can't do that much. It is still a very worthwhile line to have on your resume.

Good Luck!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Pick up the phone.

Dial the number to the PD in question.

Ask dispatcher, "Who can I talk to about becoming an Auxiliary?"
-----------------------------------------
You'll go through an application and interview process - which would be good practice for your future - and during that time you'll find out all about the Auxiliary duties. Also, I know some PD's have potential candidates do a ride along with a Senior Auxiliary Officer to see if they up for it.

G

·
I don't know about Billerica Aux but I used to work for patriot ambulance in Lawrence and would see their aux guys from time to time. Lawrence Aux do patrol, they were armed and had an aux police car. Their main function is traffic, to assist with traffic at accidents fires ect. If things got real busy they would show up on hot calls. I saw them once at a fight call, when all the other units were tied up. They also were out in force for flag day. It was a big hispanic festival on the commons in lawrence. It has been a few years sense I worked there so it might have changed, give them a call. Check out Haverhill PD website, they have and Aux dept.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pick up the phone.

Dial the number to the PD in question.

Ask dispatcher, "Who can I talk to about becoming an Auxiliary?"
-----------------------------------------
You'll go through an application and interview process - which would be good practice for your future - and during that time you'll find out all about the Auxiliary duties. Also, I know some PD's have potential candidates do a ride along with a Senior Auxiliary Officer to see if they up for it.
I did call, thats how I found out about them. I was looking for more info, from people who know someone who works there, or might have worked there themselves. Sorry if II was not more specific in my question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts