Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MassCops Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these terms interchangeable or are there differences between these types of Police Officers? Are they different from, say, a "Special" Police Officer, like the "Summer Specials" often employed on the Cape? if this has been discussed before, perhaps someone can point me to the link or thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
CHeck MGLs on this.

Auxiliary Police by MGLs fall under Civil Defense and ONLY have police powers when a disaster is declared.

Reserve/Intermittent Police are fully sworn, R/I Academy trained officers who are supposed to have the same powers as FT POs, but typically only work when called. However many towns abuse R/I Officers, telling them that they only have police powers when working, claiming no responsibility if they get injured on the job, etc.

However, R/I is a good way to get experience and to perhaps get hired FT.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Some departments will swear they're auxiliary officers as special officers in order to give them additional authority. Auxiliary officers are also non-compensated, whereas most, not all, special officers draw pay.

·
1,952 Posts
R/I officers and specials are also a way to keep retiring members still in the dept to help out but not FT. IE. to do details.

·
Registered
456 Posts
JoninNH said:
Some departments will swear they're auxiliary officers as special officers in order to give them additional authority. Auxiliary officers are also non-compensated, whereas most, not all, special officers draw pay.
You mean that I should go back and demand 18 years back pay?
:jump: :L:

I did mention that some towns abuse their R/I (aka Specials) didn't I? Most of us worked 100s of hours/year for free, paid for our own gear/clothing (no allowance), paid only when working details/shifts (early years only . . . one chief agreed to NOT allow us to work shifts in a union contract) and NEVER given a lunch/dinner break. Looking back, we really had to be "into" S & M to put up with the treatment we received!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Crvtte65 said:
R/I officers and specials are also a way to keep retiring members still in the dept to help out but not FT. IE. to do details.
My town didn't do this while I was on until the end of my tenure. Now they regularly appoint the retirees as Special POs so that they can work details. I also know a retired Sgt up in Tyngsboro that now works ~3 days/week as a Special PO for their PD, working details.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Charlton has had Aux's for 6-7 years now. Aux's mean "Volunteer" when doing police work. Only get paid for details. All gear, gun, training and what not is your own time and expense. Depends on dept police what powers they have. Charlton Aux have full police powers when on duty.
has changed recently where only when doing a ride along with supervision of full time officer. Now when in uniform, but considering most have little traing, only there for the details.
Southbridge Aux I hear have them do foot beats and make arrests, as well as have thier own patrol car and do building, and cemetary checks. Part of thier madatory volunteer time to stay active on the roster and eligible for details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts