Auxiliary Questions | MassCops

Auxiliary Questions

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by chris21, Dec 29, 2015.

1. chris21

chris21 MassCops Member

Hi All,

Been reading several threads and the information has been very helpful.

I was thinking of pursuing a potential Auxiliary position and was just curious if any current or former Auxiliary Officers could share their experiences. I am in my 40’s and have always been interested in law enforcement. Are most Auxiliary Officers much younger?

Thank you,
    Chris

2. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

Enjoy sacrificing your free time for no money? Spending tons of money on gear? Want to be one of the least respected positions in law enforcement? If you were a young kid looking to pad your resume and hoping to get a full-time job, I would say yes, take the demeaning position of auxiliary, but in your 40's, don't bother.

508Junie likes this.
  3. chris21

chris21 MassCops Member

I appreciate the candid feedback. Thanks.

4. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

Less respected than corrections? Lets not throw rocks. Another perspective is that he can work a normal daytime job, spend most nights at home, never miss a kids baseball game because of a 911 call at the end of his shift, stay out of all the department politics, and just moonlight having fun a couple nights a month. Some municipalities let their Aux go out and play. It's a realistic option for some people, depending on where they are in life. Might be a great way to dodge divorce & sleep problems from working the whacky shifts too.

zm88, chris21, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  5. felony

felony MassCops Member

In my experience, ALOT of auxiliaries are in the same age group as you or older. Take a look at some of the auxiliary websites of departments around you and you will see what I mean. If you want to volunteer to help out great, good for you. Just don't think you will be handling calls for service or running radar, kicking in doors and making felony arrests etc.
    Most just check town property (parks/schools etc.) and provide assistance during parades.

Patr8726 and chris21 like this.
  6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Might be better off becoming a special or R/I

Patr8726 likes this.
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

100% agree with this answer. Some Aux DO GET TO PLAY (not many) and you might find it a good way to try it without paradigm shifts in you life. If you find it's not for you, then not so much lost. On the other hand, you might find it rewarding.....

Patr8726 likes this.
  8. WITDispatch

WITDispatch MassCops Member

My department is always accepting applications. I heard a rumor the process is getting more involved but I'm not too sure if that happened yet (more extensive background checks and psych). Expect to pay for your own uniforms and equipment- gone are the days of money being around to fund that. But we do get to play with the big boys sometimes.

9. Norway14

Norway14 New Member

My department as well is currently looking for new Auxiliary officers...we've had a lot of turnover lately with people getting full time law enforcement jobs. Although you have to pay for your own gear, the uniforms are issued and the training is done by the department itself.

10. chris21

chris21 MassCops Member

Hi, What department? Thanks

11. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

Yes, corrections is pretty low in the public safety "hierarchy," but it is above volunteer positions. I have nothing wrong with being an auxiliary officer, it is a good stepping stone for anyone who wants to become a full-time cop and if someone really feels their civic duty to give back to their community. It is a tough thing to do, especially with a family and a mortgage without the goal of becoming a FT officer.

FAPD likes this.
  12. Norway14

Norway14 New Member

just replied to your message.

13. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

I still don't see what the major financial sacrifice is. There's no ongoing cost to employment besides maybe the cost of an LTC. So he shells out some cash for duty gear, goes to the R/I a few nights a week, and doesn't have to give up his day job. It's very little risk compared to the total life change associated with bouncing through agencies & academies as most do chasing their dream LE job in MA. If chris21 were to do some browsing of the civil service cases on Mass.gov, he'd find that there are SOME auxiliary PD's that get to do some things. Bypass appeals can have a lot of useful info in them for the job seeker.

I stand by by what I said about throwing rocks too. An Auxiliary position is far from demeaning, as you called it. CO's pass out food trays to child molesters, get baptized with feces and strip search smelly felons as part of their job description, how exotic is that? Corrections is a quasi LE job that can open career doors, but don't make it out to be something it isn't. It's a far less desirable job than anything police & the hiring standards show it. Both jobs can be done honorably, and both have their pros & cons. But don't do this guy an injustice by bashing Auxiliary like it's on the same level as a $50 reserve deputy.

chris21, FAPD and Goose like this.
  14. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

First of all, between the reserve academy, gun belt, gun, duty gear, and uniforms, you would be lucky if you spent less that $3K, not including all the time you have to give up. I respect any auxiliary, reserve, dispatcher, campus police officer, police officer, fire fighter, or corrections officer, although it sounds like you do not.

Second, if you are picking your job because it is "exotic," you may want to check your priorities. Police and fire jobs are more desirable that corrections jobs, but if you are looking to support a family, you can make a lot more as a CO than you will at a small police or fire agency. Take a look on Please Come Back Later at what some of the top county and state CO's are making, and ask yourself if you would hand out food trays for $150-$180K a year. We have tons of overtime, tons of police details, awesome benefits including a group 4 pension. Believe it or not we have guys that work with agencies or joint task forces doing actual police work, K9 officers, and guys on regional swat teams. Does that sound all that bad to you? Sound a little better than just strip searching smelly inmates?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    pahapoika and FAPD like this.
  15. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

He kinda sounds like Loyal, among others................:p

mpd61 likes this.
  16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Wouldn't wish corrections on anybody , but comparing the two is silly.

Hope you get your chance Chris21.

Dealing with societies low lifes is no fun no matter what side of the bars your working ;)

Happy New Year :cool:

zm88, chris21, mpd61 and 4 others like this.
  17. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

I can't speak for all of them, but I know there are PD's that send their Auxiliary to the R/I on the PD's dime. And again, there can be tremendous cost and family upheaval associated with going to a new employer, unless by some impossible miracle every LE job you bounce through is within commuting distance of your zip code. Like I said before, it gives him a chance to try his hand and chase his dreams with very little commitment. Changing employers can be like playing Russian roulette sometimes, and Auxiliary could give him a little experience without much risk if he hates it. He doesn't have to quit his job and sell his house to take the position.

You realize I work corrections right? There's no respect issue from me. I don't care if you're a shellfish constable. From my personal experience, a tiny fraction of corrections jobs involve a TF or involvement in a traditional LE role. Those that do often turn keys on agency records instead of cell doors. It still takes a lot of seniority to even think about landing one of those positions. Private sector jobs can pay better too, and often have better benefits besides the pension, plus the fun of working a normal schedule. Every job has it's downsides, you broke out the Better Class of LE chart, not me. The competition for a campus police job with janitors retirement is fiercer than that for any corrections job. That's no secret. For chris21, no matter how how good the pay or benefits are, corrections may not line up with what he's trying to do. Life gets complicated when you have a wife, kids and a comfortable life outside of work.

mpd61 likes this.
  18. Patr8726

Patr8726 MassCops Member

Huh?

mpd61 likes this.
  19. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

At the risk of drudging up an inflammatory back peddler.....Loyal is/was a member who dissed nearly anybody who wasn't Muni/Trooper. Search for his posts if you want, but it's a waste of time.

zm88 likes this.
  20. chris21

chris21 MassCops Member

Thank you. Happy new year to you and the rest of the board as well. Appreciate all the info. Has helped a great deal.

Patr8726 and pahapoika like this.