Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Mike's COE topic was heading this way I thought I start a new thread.

As far as Haverhill's Aux. You'll attend the nearest R/I academy. Most attend the Reading academy, I attended the R/I Academy (along with about 20 other members from Masscops 8) ) and we have 2 more "Aux-iffers attending Waltham this spring.

The key to Auxiliary Departments is it is only as good as its officers. The more you get involved, the more you get out of it. 99% of all Auxilairy cops are just using it as a stepping stones. In my opinion the 1% either can't decide if they want to be cops or realize that this is the closest they'll ever beome to being a cop.

Haverhill does alot of traffic details including races and holiday activities. We also patrol the city's properties and schools.

In the 2 years I've been on, I have never had any real problems with the regulars. They all seem to respect what we do. But like I was saying before; a department is only as good as its officers. If you join and treat it seriously and WANT to learn and better yourself then you'll go far in the LE field and have a great department. If you join to "wear a badge" then go work for Merrimack Security. Because chances are you'll just piss off the regulars and disgrace your department.

Any othe Aux departments want to share how they do things please feel free to do it here. I just rather this thread doesn't become a pissing contest or an "aux are stealing my food" thread. We know we are the "cousin oliver" of the police department :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
and since Phil has started this new thread I might as well pipe in with my thoughts... :)

The Wayland Aux's do a mix of ride alongs and X-ray (Auxiliary) patrols... We basically schedule ourselves each month... Our first priority is to patrol X-ray... and then ride alongs... We are asked to patrol at least 8 hours a month... however if you're serious about a career in LE... 8 hours a month isn't enough IMO... I currently patrol around 30 - 40 a month... while working 50 + a week at my full time job :)

When riding X-ray we do as Phil stated... patrol town property (eg. schools, town beach, cemetary etc)... We also respond as directed by the shift supervisor to back up the regulars on calls... We always ride in pairs when in the X-ray... and one Officer must be of senior rank... meaning they have been on the road for at least a year and proven themselves to the department commander... If we come across an incident our first priority is to call in the sector car... but we are also able to respond in the interrum if needed...

When riding with a regular Officer we basically do as much or as little as that Officer will allow... the more they know and trust you the more they teach you and allow you to do... In the year I have been with the WAPD I have run directed patrol with a regular, initiated and carried out motor vehicle stops, assisted in an OUI arrest, assisted with EDP's.... house parties etc... Basically if you are squared away... don't overstep your boundaries, know your stuff and really want to be there... the regulars will show you the way man...

Beyond the normal patrol functions the WAPD also performs traffic for special events when requested... we help with numerous community projects like the Senior X-Mas Light Tour and Senior Breakfast's... Salvation Army X-mas drives etc... Anything we can do to help the town basically... :)

It's been a great year of experience, learning and some fun thrown in... :) I highly recommend anyone wanting to start a career in LE to try an Auxiliary position... as long as you remember that you're there as a backup and don't overstep your role... you'll learn a lot...

Ok I'l shut up now...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi I was wondering how full timers feel about auxiliary units that are in there town. I am hoping to become a police officer, and I' am thinking about auxiliary police. My reason is that I can see if I like it before I give up my full time job.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi I was wondering how full timers feel about auxiliary units that are in there town. I am hoping to become a police officer, and I' am thinking about auxiliary police. My reason is that I can see if I like it before I give up my full time job.

Thanks
Philly.... a well run Aux program will do exactly what you are looking for... I gained a lot of valuable insight to the LE world along with training and experience in my year as an Aux with Wayland...

If you're serious... I say go for it... like someone else said in another thread to you... don't try to be hardcore as an Aux... learn learn learn... get as much training as your department will give you... ride as much as you can... and do as much as they want you too... no more... That was my philosophy with WAPD and I never had an issue with a regular... and am now about to begin the full time academy...

About the full-time job... I can definitely understand where you're coming from... I'm leaving a nice cushy, well paid, software engineering job to go into LE... Even though being an Officer is something I had thought about since High School... reality is we need a paycheck... so I thought the same way you are... the Aux's allowed me to get my feet wet without jumping overboard... For me LE turned out to be everything I wanted and hoped it would be... I can't wait to be in my new career F/T :)

Sorry for the rambles... hope it helped... Good Luck...

Mike

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Another great department to work for as an AUX/SPECIAl is Abington PD. I worked there for six years, it was an awesome gig, definitely gave me lots of experience. Department issues you the firearm,portable and other euipment. You do shift patrols on Fri and Sat nights, basically same as Wayland but you can initiate the arrests and do what you gotta do. We worked lots of details, if you wanted to you can pretty much work every day, lots of work in town and surrounding communities. Plus the department is quite busy, borders Brockton,Rockland and Weymouth. It is very hard to get on though so if you don't get accepted the 1st time, try again. Almost everyone that worked there got on full time somewhere and since APD is a civil service dept, almost every AUX that lived in town and had residency got on FT there or at least P/I position.

ABINGTON PD

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mike how is the Wayland Aux, and are the looking for new Auxiliary Officers?

Phil
Wayland is top notch Philly... I know they were accepting new Officers and have brought on a few... I'm not sure if they still are... WAPD

There was a notice on the home page before... not there now... leads me to believe they are done hiring for now...

J809... just to clarify one point about WAPD... if the situation warranted then could initiate an arrest... :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is Haverhill Aux?
Haverhill is OK. It has less restrictions and minimum requirements as some aux department. They have a good relationship with the regulars, and the Auxiliary 'brass' are top-notch. They do MAINLY church duty. But they also do Parades, marathons, and special events. They do go out at night and patrol municipal property, and they are alot of property to cover in Haverhill.

The department is currently still in transtion, but are continuely hiring. Most officers, like myself resign due to being hired as a ful-time officer elsewhere. I was on for 2 years and in the past year we have had guys get hired for:

2 as Haverhill Full-time officers
1 Florida Sheriff
1 Methuen police
1 MGH police
1 Virginia sheriff ( not sure what county the south is the south :lol: )
1 NH State Trooper

That's just a small sample of the guys (including myself) that has gone on to real jobs in the last year.
Disclaimer: NOt every auxiliary officers will get a job. Some shouldn't even be auxiliary officers or Mall cops! :twisted:

Over all its a good department. You won't get paid, You don't do paid detials, Everything is basically out of YOUR pockets, but i felt it was worth it.

If you are serious about becoming a cop, its not a big deal to have to buy your own gear, you can always use it later when you get hired elsewhere, its called an investment.
If you are interested in joining PM me. I'm still friends with the LT and the SGT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts