Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Auxilary Police

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Macop 
#1 ·
Does anybody know of any departments in the Central Mass. area that have auxilary departments?

I am 20 years old and have the Reserve Academy. I know some do not hire under 21...any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Charlton does have a unit. I'm full time, but I run the unit on my own time.(no pay or comp)Just do it because I enjoy it. I was a reserve for ages so I've been there. I have 15 auxiliary officers and 1 auxiliary Sgt. Between Aux. Sgt. and I we run meetings, training classes and so on.
Over the past several years we have sponsored several officers to the full time academy. Even though we are civil service we were able to put several of them on the job fulltime.
All officers have reserve academy, First responder/CPR and have to qualify with a suitable duty weapon.
They are allowed to do ride alongs with full time officers and have arrest powers while riding.
Everything is volunteer except if there is a detail that the full timers dont take, they can work them.
We usually advertise once a year and keep a running list.

#5 ·
Hi Derek,
Yes we are 21+. The reason for this was due to the LTC requirements. I was concerned that someone under 21 might get jammed up. Technically anyone can carry under their badge when they are on duty. Auxiliary officers are not really on duty 24/7 so it could cause a problem. I did not do to bust balls, as I started when I was 19. But back then you could get an LTC at 19.
I see your from Dudley. Some of my past and present Auxs are there as reserves.
I'm not sure when your going to be 21, but you can call me at the station if you want more info. I work 7-3 on the 4 and 2.

Oh yea, tell Sgt. P to stop stinking up my gym

#7 ·
I have a few months before I turn 21 but I am definitely interested in your department. I was an explorer on Charlton PD in 2001 and liked the structure and operation of your department. I will attempt to get in touch with you at the hours you have posted about possibly applying for employment! Thank you very much for your feedback!

#8 ·
Bhark,

The way I understand it, There is no current requirement for reserve/intermittent officers to attend inservice. I believe the reserve academy from 1995 is still good, although the particular town you apply to may want you to attend another inservice prior to starting work. If anyone else has more info, please jump in.

#10 ·
I'm not sure with the reserve academy. I was talking with my Chief recently and he said that with the full time academy it's only good for 5 yrs and a day.
I think it is probably up to individual department with the reserve academy.
I was recently viewing the in-service for reserves and saw that some of the MCJTC academies are charging reserves for in-service. I think that MCJTC is getting out of control.

#11 ·
Not to bad mouth Aux Officers, cause its where I started. But if one is gonna go the p/t way to start,here are depts in Wmass and central mass that have parttime police and not aux. I mean depts that treat u like a regular officer. Granted most of those depts are in wmass and centrel ma closer to wmass. But if Aux is all you can get its a start.

#12 ·
As far as the reserve academy goes, I'm pretty sure it doesn't run out (i.e. you don't need to attend a refresher), but what I would be concerned with is getting beat up by a defense lawyer in court, when he finds that out. Say going to court on a an arrest for a recent law change. You might get a court room arse whooping, if the man finds out MCJTC didn't tell you what the new rules are...even though you probably know it to a T.

#13 ·
MaCop-

Yeah I was looking for departments that were hiring reserves but with the hiring freezes in effect there is no chance to get one at this point in time. Hopefully by the new fiscal year, which I believe is in July, their budgets will allow for more reserves. So I just figured auxilary would be somewhat of a foot in the door.

#18 ·
Ya, that would be him, did you hear anything from Amherst? Amherst may be a place to avoid, they are very clicky and have a hollier than though attitude, and they love to shit on ya if you are a campus cop or a cop in a small town. The chief is an extremly unpleasant person.

#19 ·
I passed the written and took the physical, passed most of it, but unfortunatley couldn't pass the bench press. It's reallly my own fault though, because I really didn't prepare for it as well as I should have. No one to blame for that. So that was the end of Amherst for me... :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Tackleberry what town are you from, or what area?

Belchertown has some part time spots open I believe. Agawam has part timers but im not sure if they hire off the civil service list, same thing with Holyoke. Holyoke definately sponsors people through the part time academy though. West Springfield has a big part time group and is fairly easy to get onto, however they mostly do the Big E with the exception of required ride alongs and in service. Granby has part timers as well. Easthampton hires part timers with the title of "specials". THere pretty competitive to get into and dont hire too often, occasionally you'll see a listing for em in the Daily Hampshire Gazette. Southampton you can go into the department at any time and get a part time application, I believe they hire full timers from their part timers. Smith college and Hampshire college both seem to have frequent openings which may mean high turnover. Hadley has part timers but from what I hear the pay isn't that great, but its a foot in the door. Also check into Wilbraham or Hamdan, for some reason I think they have some part timers but am unsure of how they work or how many. Good Luck and keep plugging away.

#21 ·
All those places have part timers that work and are treated like full timers, in fact most wmass depts are like that. When I first moved out here and was hunting for p/time work, I looked into many of those pds.

1)Hadley has parttimers and openings at any given time but from what I was told by a partimer that works there that I used to work for is that for some reason the chief lets the postions go unfiled.

2)Granby makes you work as an aux first then p/t then f/t if it arises. I know someone who is going through it now

3.) Belchertown is a good place, I interviewed for a job there about 6 to 7 months before I went to the academy. The person they hired, not me, lol was working 40+ hours and was in my academy, she was there less than 6 moths before being promoted to f/t. I know another person who was hired there and promoted to f/t within months, if you have a chance go for that pd it is very quick to go from p/t to f/t.

4.) I tried Southampton but dont bother now one of the officers I work with lives in Southhampton and she says there are cuting the pd heavily.

5.) I know a few people who work at Hampshire, its good if yuo want to get the academy and to start somewhere, other than that its not all that good , at all. Smith is very good money but you will be unhappy.

6.) I know a person who is at Easthampton and says its a very good pd.

7.) Agawam has your run of the mill traditional aux. and so does Holyoke, Holyoke also has civil service p/timers.

8.) One of my staff instuctors was a Capt from West springfield, I'm told they get a lot of road jobs, but not sure about patrol shifts, I dont think there is much of that, mostly do details, not that its a bad thing, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.