Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Auxilary Police

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Macop 
Charlton does have a unit. I'm full time, but I run the unit on my own time.(no pay or comp)Just do it because I enjoy it. I was a reserve for ages so I've been there. I have 15 auxiliary officers and 1 auxiliary Sgt. Between Aux. Sgt. and I we run meetings, training classes and so on.
Over the past several years we have sponsored several officers to the full time academy. Even though we are civil service we were able to put several of them on the job fulltime.
All officers have reserve academy, First responder/CPR and have to qualify with a suitable duty weapon.
They are allowed to do ride alongs with full time officers and have arrest powers while riding.
Everything is volunteer except if there is a detail that the full timers dont take, they can work them.
We usually advertise once a year and keep a running list.

Hi Derek,
Yes we are 21+. The reason for this was due to the LTC requirements. I was concerned that someone under 21 might get jammed up. Technically anyone can carry under their badge when they are on duty. Auxiliary officers are not really on duty 24/7 so it could cause a problem. I did not do to bust balls, as I started when I was 19. But back then you could get an LTC at 19.
I see your from Dudley. Some of my past and present Auxs are there as reserves.
I'm not sure when your going to be 21, but you can call me at the station if you want more info. I work 7-3 on the 4 and 2.

Oh yea, tell Sgt. P to stop stinking up my gym

I'm not sure with the reserve academy. I was talking with my Chief recently and he said that with the full time academy it's only good for 5 yrs and a day.
I think it is probably up to individual department with the reserve academy.
I was recently viewing the in-service for reserves and saw that some of the MCJTC academies are charging reserves for in-service. I think that MCJTC is getting out of control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.