Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MIFFLINBURG -- A Watsontown, PA auxiliary police officer is facing charges for allegedly bringing a loaded handgun to a youth football game at Mifflinburg Area High School last weekend.
Clinton S. Mettler, 26, of Watsontown, allegedly had his registered Ruger semi-automatic handgun concealed while watching the midget football game Sunday in the bleachers, according to Mifflinburg police. When confronted by football league officials and asked to leave the school property, Mettler became "agitated and claimed he could be in possession of the handgun" because he was on duty 24 hours a day, officers said.
Cpl. Wade Danley, of the Watsontown police, said the department's auxiliary police officers act almost like fire police, helping with parades and other functions, but have no arrest powers.
"(Mettler's gun) is something he had personally," Danley said. "It has nothing to do with us."
Mettler had a permit for the handgun issued by the Northumberland County Sheriff's Department and a Watsontown Police Department auxiliary police officer badge, Mifflinburg police said. They said he had a full magazine and an additional round chambered.
Mettler was charged with possessing a weapon on school property. The gun and holster were confiscated.

G

·
I've been carrying a concealed handgun for well over 20 years, and no one has ever noticed. How did this guy manage to screw things up in the time span of a high school football game??

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Delta.....hopefully this doesnt offend anyone..but you gotta think since he was an Aux..maybe he purposely let it be seen..you kow what I mean.." hey look at me Im carrying , im one a Dept " ...but either way...ridiculous.

G

·
Delta.....hopefully this doesnt offend anyone..but you gotta think since he was an Aux..maybe he purposely let it be seen..you kow what I mean.." hey look at me Im carrying , im one a Dept " ...but either way...ridiculous.
Valid point, and I know the type. I'm willing to bet the auxiliary badge was clipped on the belt next to the gun.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I'm sure a real bad guy would never bring a gun to football game. No, that won't ever happen. What BS! Just another attack on the 2nd ammendment!! Somebody probably ratted the guy out and now he'll be "blacklisted" for life. Whoever is in charge of the case should show some stones and drop the case.....chances of that happening? ZERO.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Personally, I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt. This story does proves a point all in police work must learn (some like me, several times in their career). When you get in any trouble your department will stand behind you.......WAY, WAY, behind you. Check out Cpl Danley's comments. Delta you know what I'm talking about?

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Now this is a first...members on this board defending a certified WHACKER! I'm all for the second amendment, however...no guns on school grounds means no guns on school grounds! He was playing cop and got busted, its that simple.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Now this is a first...members on this board defending a certified WHACKER! I'm all for the second amendment, however...no guns on school grounds means no guns on school grounds! He was playing cop and got busted, its that simple.
Chief I don't think anyone is defending a Whacker, I think defense of the 2nd amendment is what we are protecting. The clown had a legal permit.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
You sound just like CLK and if you read the threads you see how he ended up.
The 2nd amendment is our right and it looks like PA is getting more anti gun every day.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
What I dont understand is why they charged the guy and didnt just ask him to kindly leave..go home and not come back with a weapon on him, seems a little excessive. Why ruin the guys life.
"When confronted by football league officials and asked to leave the school property, Mettler became "agitated and claimed he could be in possession of the handgun" because he was on duty 24 hours a day, officers said."

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Mettler had a permit for the handgun issued by the Northumberland County Sheriff's Department and a Watsontown Police Department auxiliary police officer badge, Mifflinburg police said. They said he had a full magazine and an additional round chambered.
A full magazine and a round chambered?!?! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

I would hope any law-abiding person carrying a concealed handgun would have a round in the chamber. When I go hunting, even though I could go the entire day without seeing anything, I always have a round chambered when I'm in the woods just in case I do see something. Why should it be any different for a person that is trying to kill you or anyone else in your presence? I guess I'm a bad person. Maybe I should wait until that huge buck walks in before I chamber a round so I can give him a better chance of getting away. I guess I should do the same for the criminals too.

And yes, an absolute ban on guns on school grounds is BS. What are you going to do if a child rapist decides to run into your kid's elementary school to rape your kid. I know I would wish that the teacher had a gun to kill the bastard. If college students are allowed to drink on campus if they are over 21, why can't a licensed law-abiding student carry a concealed handgun? The casualties of school shootings would have been far less than what they are.

It sounds like he wasn't walking around showing off his gun. It wasn't made known that he was CCW until he was confronted. I'm just curious why he was confronted by a league official.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
MIFFLINBURG -- A Watsontown, PA auxiliary police officer Clinton S. Mettler, 26, of Watsontown, allegedly had his registered Ruger semi-automatic handgun concealed while watching the midget football game Sunday in the bleachers, according to Mifflinburg police. .
Seems to me this is the primary germaine point. Apparently his mistake was becoming "agitated" after being questioned by a league official. there is probably a little bit more to this story along the lines of mine is bigger or he's not a real cop etc...
So much for the impact of the Heller decision.
:argue:

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like the reply from the PD, "they act almost like police".

Yet when he claims umbrella protection the department cuts all ties and says your on your own.

This should be a warning to any auxillary or dare I say Deputy that thinks their agency will back them up or that another agency will cut them some slack.

This is all a mute point when Obama and Biden get in only police and the government will have access to firearms. No way you say. Washington DC, SanFrancisco, and Chicago have excellent gun control already in effect and all are actively defying the Supreme Courts recent decision.

Look at Pelosi's San Fran even wanted to ban LE from having firearms after working their shift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts