Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work part-time for the Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary Police Department as a State Police Special. I'm currently working on a project to obtain a Automated External Defibrillator for our department. I have all of the answers from our Regional EMS administration on what we need to do there. What I'm looking for is to hear from other campus police departments that already have AEDs and how they addressed any issues with their campus administration with appropriating money for training etc. I'm hoping to get the AED unit donated so if someone has been down that road also I would like to hear from you also. Any help, questions or comments would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ed,

WPI Police aquired a few units about 2 years ago. I did a fair amount of research into the idea as part of the dept's EMS program. I will try to dig up some info for you - I'll send you a private message.

-Eric

·
Registered
105 Posts
ED,
We just went to them here at Harvard, every cruiser will have one plus some will be placed around the university. Training was not a problem with us. It would be in the administration's best interest to train you and acquire at least one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Northeastrn University PD has a defib (or atleast it was only one when I worked there), that they shuffled from car to car each shift. Anyhow, I do believe they had a few saves with it. Very worth while venture. I'm not sure who you would even contact to get that information from them, but try calling (617)373-2696 (Administration Office).
Good luck!

·
1,952 Posts
Originally posted by bikecop:
Northeastrn University PD has a defib (or atleast it was only one when I worked there), that they shuffled from car to car each shift. Anyhow, I do believe they had a few saves with it. Very worth while venture. I'm not sure who you would even contact to get that information from them, but try calling (617)373-2696 (Administration Office).
Good luck!
Moved up in the world :D

Every crusier has one now and also one in the ambulance. Every officer is required to be certified in CPR/AED which is taught by our own officers yearly.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
As far as training goes, I don't think you should have too much of a problem. As far as I know AED has become part of the curriculum with American Heart Association and Red Cross CPR certification. So when that runs out (good for 1 year or 2?) you'll be getting trained anyways. I could be wrong on this, but I"m pretty sure this is the case.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by PearlOnyx:
As far as training goes, I don't think you should have too much of a problem. As far as I know AED has become part of the curriculum with American Heart Association and Red Cross CPR certification. So when that runs out (good for 1 year or 2?) you'll be getting trained anyways. I could be wrong on this, but I"m pretty sure this is the case.
ARC certs are good for 1 year - AHA for 2 years. The levels of care that teach AED (and the level you need to meet state requirements for first responder) are "CPR For the Professional Rescuer" from ARC or "CPR Health Care Provider" from AHA. The CPR DOES NOT certify you to use an AED. In order to be certified to use the unit you must receive training under the OEMS regional guidelines and have a medical director who will support the use of AED's in your department. Sounds like Ed is all set with the technical issues though. The biggest problem for most agencies is that the units still aren't cheap. Grants and donations are the only hope for many.

-Eric

·
Registered
164 Posts
We are about to place one in each cruiser (4), as well as another 5 scarttered through high traffic areas onm campus. PM me with specific questions and I'll do all I can.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Ok, I'm a little slow at this stuff. I know when I re-did first responder this September, we did the AHA CPR course, which covered the use of the AED. So what your saying is that the AHA ourse doesn't certify you to use the AED? If so, what is the point of including it in the AHA course. I'm a bit confused.

·
Registered
579 Posts
AED is mandatory in aha cpr certification and recert for all as emt's and first responders,all instructors are required to teach it in the course no exceptions. but some don't, however most do.. all depends how quick they want to get out of the class..

G

·
I just took the AHA BLS Instructors course and the AED for adult victims is included in the "Healthcare Providers" course. It gives you the certification use of AED through a PAD (Public Access Defib.) program. To use in a department, thru OEMS guidelines you need a medical director to sign off on your training. Usually one from your local hospital.
Also, my dept. just received 4 defib's from Access CardioSystems 150 Baker Ave. ext. Suite 108 Concord, MA 01742. These units are small about 4x8x4, they fit right in with the jump bag, no need to carry two things on calls. I think my Chief said he got them for about 1500 a piece.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by PearlOnyx:
Ok, I'm a little slow at this stuff. I know when I re-did first responder this September, we did the AHA CPR course, which covered the use of the AED. So what your saying is that the AHA ourse doesn't certify you to use the AED? If so, what is the point of including it in the AHA course. I'm a bit confused.
Welcome to the world of EMS. If you ever thought LE was screwed up when it comes to training and certification, look no further. MA OEMS takes the top prize in the world. They have successfully made a bureaucracy out of a 5 person office. This could be the answer to much of the state budget crisis.

-Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.