Aurora Police Department, CO Hiring Lateral Officers | MassCops

Aurora Police Department, CO Hiring Lateral Officers

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by Mtnman, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mtnman

Mtnman New Member

2. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

"Go west young man", or woman.

Joel98 likes this.
  3. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

While it is confusing if you'd have to academy again, and only city/metro police qualify as "lateral," the money and bennies do look appealing..

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I started to apply towards Ft. Collins Colorado PD back in March or something... The pay was gigantic. Must be a Colorado trend?

Joel98 likes this.
  5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Well begun is half done...

6. Mtnman

Mtnman New Member

Higher pay, lower cost of living.

7. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Nice website.
    Chief Oates looks friendly.
    Colorado used to be a solid red state but they've turned slightly.

Joel98 likes this.
  8. GD

GD MassCops Member

This was a little weird...............................:throwball:
    "You supply your own weapon meeting published department standards"

9. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I didn't get into the site enough to notice that. That's a terrible idea for a number of reasons but especially when the shit hits the fan and you're looking to grab extra mags.

10. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

Holler up if you need more info.

I grew up in the Boston area and have worked for Aurora for a while. It's a fairly busy department (650+ ofcs.) and has a pretty diverse work environment spread across three districts.

11. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

It's really no different than the bordering depertments providing mutual aid, LECs and MSP backing up another agency. No body has the same firearm. You'd be luck if your back-up has the same caliber these days.

mpd61 likes this.
  12. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

I have a friend who is a deputy chief there. Sounded like a nice department. The authorized weapon thing is very common in the west. Some departments issue but also give you a list of authorized alternatives you can use, others just give you the list and you provide your own.

13. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

Very few agencies out this way issue weapons. At my agency they limit the manufacturers and calibers (9mm, .40, and .45) for primary weapons to the major brands (Sig, Smith, Glock, Kimber, and Colt). If you can qualify quarterly with it and it meets our specs and passes a yearly inspection, you are good to go. A full-time range staff of five insures compliance.

In my humble opinion, the interchange of ammo issue was more pertinent twenty plus years ago when we were carrying a total complement of eighteen rounds for revolvers.

With today's high capacity semi-autos and the loads we now carry, the issue has been minimized.

I have been involved with investigations where we expended one hundred and eighty rounds and only one gun ran dry. This was a SWAT officer and he quickly transitioned to his handgun.

Joel98 likes this.
  14. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Sounds like a pretty well thought out firearm policy. I'm guessing that gets guys on the job more involved with what works best for them, as opposed to being issued something they could possibly dislike and not qualify as well with.

Now since they don't issue a weapon, do they give you a weapon allowance? For instance part of your contract states that they'll pay you an additional $700 annually or something to purchase and maintain your own weapon?

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

NYPD does that...there's a list of approved handguns, and you buy it through them. You can still choose a revolver, if you want.

Joel98 likes this.
  16. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

No, on the weapons allowance. Yes, on whatever leather gear goes with whatever weapon you select.

Over the course of the years a lot of us, and it certainly includes me, have been through the latest and greatest phases in police handguns. The policy is flexible enough to insure that officers are comfortable and competent. The importance is on your comfort and skill with the chosen weapons system.

Officers can provide their own AR-15 after, chosen from four brands, or utilize a department Colt.

17. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

18. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I would go for that, if they only made a bit more $$$ to start

Joel98 likes this.
  19. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

20. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

21. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

22. backfist

backfist MassCops Member

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  23. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

I have a friend who retired from there. From what I know of it, a good department.

Joel98 likes this.