Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me where to find the assimiltive crimes act that gives certain fed/military cops the enforcement ability of state laws. I know it was on here but I cant find it, I remember it was title 18 of the US code but there are to many sections to search through it. Thanx

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Assimilative Crimes Act, §289, Criminal Code, 54 Stat. 234, 18 U.S.C. §468, 18 U.S.C.A. §468, reads: 'Whoever, within the territorial limits of any State, organized Territory, or district, but within or upon any of the places now existing or hereafter reserved or acquired, described in section 272 of the Criminal Code (U.S.C., title 18, sec. 451), [FN1] shall do or omit the doing of any act or thing which is not made penal by any laws of Congress, but which if committed or omitted within the jurisdiction of the State, Territory, *713 or district in which such place is situated, by the laws thereof in force on February 1, 1940, and remaining in force at the time of the doing or omitting the doing of such act or thing, would be penal, shall be deemed guilty of a like offense and be subject to a like punishment.'

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dodpopo2468 is correct. As a Fed you can also assimilate certain state laws through the CFR, Code of Federal Regulations.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's where we get screwed. At least those of us under the umbrella of the Air Force. All reserve bases (AF) have proprietory jurisdiction. There has to be a way to change this so we don't have to call MSP for every little thing. When we start to cover housing again they are not going to want to cover out domestics, disturbances, etc. There has to be a US Code or statute that we can fall back on out there somewhere. :s ](*,)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sarge439 - Sorry to hear that you guys have that problem at Westover. We don't have that problem at Hanscom Air Force Base. We do have a few small sections of the base that are proprietary jurisdiction but most of the base is exclusive federal jurisdiction, and some parts are concurrent jurisdiction. It is a mystery to me as to how what type of jurisdiction a base will be is decided.

·
Registered
689 Posts
militia_man said:
Sarge439 - Sorry to hear that you guys have that problem at Westover. We don't have that problem at Hanscom Air Force Base. We do have a few small sections of the base that are proprietary jurisdiction but most of the base is exclusive federal jurisdiction, and some parts are concurrent jurisdiction. It is a mystery to me as to how what type of jurisdiction a base will be is decided.
I think the Wing King has the say in what jurisdiction he wants his cops to have. I know for us it came down from 22nd AF at Dobbins back in 1992. They said no arrest powers. We turn it all over to MSP. Active duty gets turned over to their First Shirt or CO. Makes it real hard to get any credibility from the public. Especially since we're a Reserve base w/80% civilian employees. :letitall:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.