Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the forum. Was wondering how many departments have cruisers assigned to only a few people, opposed to having the entire department driving random new cars and being the snot out of them.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
We have about 22 patrol cars some have 3 to a car others 2 to a car.

I am lucky enough to only have one cruiser partner, but that never stops the brass from grabbing he keys and getting lunch or conducting other admin functions with it when we are not using it.

We have a few dedicated cars also (radar, academy, in-service, admin) in addition we also have two last resort options car 24 and 25 if your assigned cruiser goes down you are supposed to take one of those beast and not just jump in any car you see fit.

We also have a policy if for any reason you take a line car not assigned to you and not one of the back-ups your co has to do a letter to the chief explaining why you where assigned that car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have a fleet management plan. We have 26 cars assigned for uniformed patrol. The cars are assigned to the road a maximum of 16 hours a day. For example, on the day and second shift, beat 5 man is assigned the P5 vehicle. On the third shift, the assigned vehicle is the P25 Car which is also used on the day shift for the beat 15 man. In addition, there are about 8 marked "Reserve" vehicles used for details, 3 marked vehicles assigned to traffic division and I'd guess about 35 unmarked vehicles, of 2 are available for patrol division. It seems to keep mileage down and having permanet beats, you get the same car every night, so it's in your best interest to keep it clean.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
We have 20 routes, each assigned a marked cruiser. Each shift takes same car so the sled is running 24/7. Fleet maintenance????? After beating the sh*t out of it for 2-3 years and the engine finally quits or tranny falls it's towed in and sits in our parking lot. Then we have to locate a "spare". The spare is a 7-8 y/o cruiser sitting around that just hasn't been turned in yet.
We get a hand me down from traffic or an old supervisor car and maybe 1 new car every 3-4 years. If we had to get them inspected like our personal cars none would pass. Nothing like hitting a pothole, bottoming out and jumping to the other side of the street into oncoming traffic. Or the front end shaking so bad above 35mph you have to stop. No brakes?? No problem, just don't patrol. But then again our supervisors just got brandy new Expeditions..... Maybe they can drop me off at all my calls. :roll:

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have 7 Black & Whites. We are assigned our own car-most have 3 Cops assigned, some have 2, one has 1-It depends on our schedules. We have 1 spare that's used for details, Academy use or if our assigned unit is broke. Great car except for the old laptop.....Right Woody? :roll:

G

·
28 Cars to patrol which cover assigned beats for 2 shifts and then there is 1 alternate cruiser put in for 3rd shift so the 2003's get some rest. All the alternate cruisers are 2001's with our old paint scheme. Community Policing Division is the only division in which officers have thier own cruisers.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
40th MPOC#309 said:
We have 7 Black & Whites. We are assigned our own car-most have 3 Cops assigned, some have 2, one has 1-It depends on our schedules. We have 1 spare that's used for details, Academy use or if our assigned unit is broke. Great car except for the old laptop.....Right Woody? :roll:
I'll take #209 ANYDAY Baby! Maybe someday I'll even buy it! Of course I'll have to get in line behind old Scotty A. That's if he can find his way to the back of the lot!
:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.