·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Elaine Allegrini
The Enterprise
Posted Oct 03, 2008 @ 12:16 PM

EASTON -
The man who police say stole a suppressor/silencer for an AK-47 assault rifle on Sept. 18 was caught on tape that is now on-line and available for viewing.
Police say the suppressor, an accessory that silences the noise of the powerful automatic rifle, is valued at about $1,000 but is a demo unit and may not function.
Still, Detective Sgt. Jack Lynn said, "You've got to wonder why somebody wants a suppressor or silencer."
The unit was taken from the counter at Zero Hours Arms, 7 Renker Drive, Easton. The surveillance video shows a man taking the black 6-inch accessory and putting it in his pocket.
Visit this website and read The Enterprise on Saturday for more information.

To see the video, click here.

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/x...silencer-reported-stolen-from-Easton-gun-shop

G

·
TINY shop............... This guy must have taken up the entire customer area with that gut of his and must have been removing items from the shelf to make room for his belly.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Its a suppressor, dumbass, there is no such thing as a "silencer". It doesn't "silence" noise, it gets rid of flash and reduces audible sound. I was just demoing some on a Sig 556 a couple a weeks ago at Sig Arms Academy, and while they reduce the noise quite a bit, they are still quite loud.

Still, Detective Sgt. Jack Lynn said, "You've got to wonder why somebody wants a suppressor or silencer."
The military buys them by the tens-of-thousands to reduce sound signature and flash. Police agencies often use them on specialized teams that hit meth houses, because the suppressor can eliminates most the expended flash, hence greatly reducing risk of igniting fumes. Honestly, most SWAT teams would benefit by fitting suppressors on their rifles and pistols, to protect their team's hearing. Ever fire a rifle indoors without hearing protection? Some EPO and Police agencies use suppressor equipped weapons to put down animals without alarming nearby people.

G

·
Its a suppressor, dumbass, there is no such thing as a "silencer". It doesn't "silence" noise, it gets rid of flash and reduces audible sound. I was just demoing some on a Sig 556 a couple a weeks ago at Sig Arms Academy, and while they reduce the noise quite a bit, they are still quite loud.
Anything in 5.56 is going to be loud, but I was amazed when I fired a suppressed MP-5; the noise of the action cycling was louder than the report of the discharge.

I'd just like to be there when the dope attaches the fake "silencer" to his real AK and unloads a few rounds out the window of his ceramic tiled bathroom with no hearing protection. :cool:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Anything in 5.56 is going to be loud, but I was amazed when I fired a suppressed MP-5; the noise of the action cycling was louder than the report of the discharge.
Yeah, we use the MP-5SD3 at the airport, and its very accurate and quiet. But the subsonic 9mm round isn't exactly a showstopper; it won't penetrate plywood at 100 yards! I'll take the larger bang for my buck on the 5.56 round.

G

·
Yeah, we use the MP-5SD3 at the airport, and its very accurate and quiet. But the subsonic 9mm round isn't exactly a showstopper; it won't penetrate plywood at 100 yards! I'll take the larger bang for my buck on the 5.56 round.
Well, 30 rounds of subsonic 9mm at close range should (hopefully) end the show, and I don't think you want to let loose a 5.56 round in Terminal A the day before Thanksgiving! :p

But does it sound like the silencers in the movies? :D
Judge for yourself;

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You must bear in mind that the silencer mentioned could also be used in conjunction with the Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator and the ACME Disintegration Pistol. These are key weapons in the arsenal of total global domination, and of course the first choice of terrorist organizations and Marvin the Martian. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts