Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
sleepy and on a no dunkins diet
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the ASP handcuffs? Looking into them, and wanted to hear how they are working on the road.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
You'll need a larger cuff case.

Also, they had to modify the design. Origional were easily picked.
Theres a way to tell if you have a new design. Somewhere on the side a red-dot signifies old, green signifies new.

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
Curious EMT said:
You'll need a larger cuff case.

Also, they had to modify the design. Origional were easily picked.
Theres a way to tell if you have a new design. Somewhere on the side a red-dot signifies old, green signifies new.
It's the double-lock indicator/slide...the yellow is the updated one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got two pairs of the new hinged ASP cuffs. Bad new is they didn't fit in any of my cuff cases. I took a pair to a cop shop and tried them in the cuff cases that they had and would match my other gear, but no luck.
I ended up selling the cuffs to another officer rather me trying to find and buying new cuff cases.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i saw a guy break brand new ASP cuffs from the frot in under 5 seconds, its a design flaw where the swivel goes into the bottom of the cuff. i would avoid until they fix the problem
Air Force Cop said:
What do you think of the ASP handcuffs? Looking into them, and wanted to hear how they are working on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding the ASP cuffs fitting into a standard holder, It will not happen. One of our more tactical guys just picked up a new pair and is trying them out. ASP makes a holder that fits the cuffs as they are larger. The case looks very similar to the Safarilaminate gear that our dept. wears. Looking at the cuffs I noticed that they are very flexible and they appear flimsy. The cuffs look nice but until I hear more on these I'm sticking with my tried and true S&W and my S&W hinged for the real nice guys.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've been warned against them due to reports of breakage or "keyless entry". The only ASP product I'll carry is my baton.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I Have a pair...They fit fine in my nylon gear double cuff case.

I like them.

If your looking to try a new style of Cuffs try the S&W (I think thats the brand) Titanium handcuffs. I personaly have NOT used them but I know a couple guys that use then and talk about them like there the best investment you could make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a pair of ASP chain cuffs when they improved the locking mechanism. I was really skeptical of the cuffs due to the press about them until I actually got to use them. I only carried them as a backup pair. I responded to a domestic with MSP where we were confronted by the suspect, a 280lb pissed off gorilla who did not take kindly to our presence. After several minutes of trying to get cuffs on, one of the troopers got his S&W 100's on him. When we arrived for processing, this guy bent the single strand right off at the hinge and got out of the cuffs. After more wrestling, I got my ASP cuffs on him. We were all nervous that they would act much like the ones you buy in the toy department. This guy struggled and did everything he could to break them but they actually held! The only issue after I got them off was the plastic was slighly cracked on the double strand. They were in better shape than the S&W's. I sent them back and ASP replaced them. I don't know if this was just a lucky fluke or what but it made me think that they actually might work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts