Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting to see what you guys/gals think. I am a 24 year old female with my Masters in Criminology and my Bachelors in Criminal Justice and am currently in the part time basic police officer intermittent academy in
Foxboro and was sponsored by the Taunton PD.. I took the Police test for MA and scored a 98 in April and just took the RISP test and think I did well.. I want to get onto a force but things don't look well in MA.. so I am going to start of with an auxilliary force somewhere and hope for the best... Any other ideas that might help me get onto a force.. I covered the academic venues and am thinking of going on to work in my Phd. but I really want to be a police officer... so any thoughts would be appreciated...
Thank you
-Jessica (PVD24)

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
The job market for Law Enforcement sucks in MA right now. Your best bet is to pack your bags and move out of MA. Thats what I am about to do. As soon as I have enough cash saved I am out of here.

G

·
Mass opportunities

Sounds like you have the schooling behind you, but as for advice, I would also advise you to look outside of Massachusetts.I have been a Reserve Officer for a year and a half here and the openings just aren't out there. I was supposed to start the MSP academy last March and the funding fell through for that and there isn't any funding in the near future. I am going through the process for the Rochester NY police right now and the tentative academy is Jan 04. I know that they are giving another test in Dec and the deadline is this month.(they are looking for qualified woman as well) The NY State police is also having a test in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PDV24

I agree with the posts above about your situtation. In many cases MA depts. (local) will only hire you to P/T / Reserve, then when a F/T position opens up they will pull from the P/T'ers. Considering seniority of course. So if you are an Aux. Officer, you can wait until a F/T position opens. Which in MA could be awhile. Also as stated in the previous posts you could go out of state until the situtation improves here then you could come back :lol: Cities like LA, NY, Detroit etc. often have 3 or 4 tests in a year (or at least they used to, I haven't done much research in that area recently). The WWW is a great resource for you to obtain info.
Then there is always Campus Depts., some will take you with the P/T academy. Many colleges prefer it's officers to have a college education (hence it's a college) which you have plenty of. In many of those cases when you submit your resume it's scaned for keywords. So if your looking to apply there it might be helpful to go over some template police resumes. I know they sell books on this stuff, never having seen one myself I can't say how much help they are, but it's something to think about. This isn't concrete, just in general.

·
Registered
968 Posts
PVD,

Keep focused and do what you are doing, something will happen in mass if you stick to it. If you don't think you can wait and want to get things movin, NYPD is still taking applications for their next exam.....deadline is soon......go on their website and apply, it's free and quick.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I've done some dabbling down in Florida this year. There are jobs open everywhere. I recently passed the written and the physical for the Highway Patrol, and there are currently 150 to 200 positions open. So the opportunities are there if your willing to move.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Florida might be an option

Florida might be an option.. my parents live in Florida half the year.. and the other half.. they are in CT... I just love New England... but if I can get some experience.. then why not... They don't even know how to spell Masters in Florida... no one goes on to college.. its not the environment I want to be in.. but if there are opportunities to advance.. I might give it a try.. (no offense to anyone in Florida)..lol.. My friend just got hired by New Bedford in November of last year... and went through the academy and has been on the job for about 3 months.. and his job is not even secure yet... This just sucks... do you guys think that more than normal... people want to be in Law Enforcement in MAss.. than any other states? Anyone have any positive things to say about the Attleboro Auxiliary?
Have a great night everyone...
-Jessica (PVD24)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go west Young Lady!

LAPD will take you in a heart beat. The dept loves candidates that are from The north east!

Best of luck to you!

David

:thumbup:
:twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry this is off topic, I heard somewhere that LAPD officers get some type of rent reduction if they work in the same district/sector whatever it is that they live in. That true? What's the cost of living like out there?

·
Registered
968 Posts
For about 250k you can live in the beautiful beachfront ooops I mean crimefront community of Compton. It's not the best place, but there is a sub shop on one of the corners that makes a mean steak & cheese (make sure you tip the crack addict hooker out front though, she can get cranky). :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
9cr57 lapd said:
Go west Young Lady!

LAPD will take you in a heart beat. The dept loves candidates that are from The north east!
If it's the West Coast you want try San Diego. I just came back from there. Absolutely beautiful. I went there to start the process for SDPD.
Right now they are testing once a month, every three months they have a test dedicated to out of town applicants. I must say that they are the best department I have ever tested with. The recruitment team is awesome. For example, there was a guy that was having trouble with the PAT test. I saw 4 recruiting officers jog along side him for the final portion of the exam to give him extra encouragement. He ended up passing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
no rent reductions for living in the division that you work, i would not advise doing that..............

FYI: compton is a suburb of Los Angeles, has it's own police dept.

the only good thing to come out of compton are the tennis star williams sisters!

the city is extremly violent, you could not pay me enough $$$ to leave lapd and go to compton.
:eek:t:

anywho, san diego is nice. (weather) i dont know too much about the agency.

:twisted:

·
Registered
968 Posts
lapd,

I did not know that......I thought Compton was covered by the LAPD. By the way, have you read the book COP by Mike Middleton (Retired LAPD). Tell you what, I would consider LA if I didn't have kids. Scared to bring them out there (due to money issues), wouldn't be able to live in the hills.

G

·
PVD24

With your schooling :rd: behind you, take an LE career with the Feds. Best job would be US Postal Service Inspector. Great pay & bennies and also a 20 year retirement. Look around on the Gov't listings and you are sure to find an interesting LE job there. Best of all you can pretty much lateral around to different agencies if you grow tired with one aspect or another of your present job.

With this new Homeland Security gig going on, there's plenty to do. You can also choose to live where you want and transfer to different offices around the US. Wish I was young (and stupid) again since that is the path I would take. :L: OK wiseguys, take your cracks. :FM:

·
Registered
968 Posts
HousingCop said:
PVD24

Wish I was young (and stupid) again since that is the path I would take. :L: OK wiseguys, take your cracks. :FM:
I doubt you would change the path you chose......I mean you were a big hit in tombstone, the Earps I heard were jealous. Quick Question.....Was Doc Holliday really that good?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,657 Posts
SAN JOSE!! :D

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I agree with HousingCop. Go Fed. At 24 with your education and your ambition for advancement, I think that would be a great path to take.

In MA, it appears that most of the time how educated you are doesn't make a difference in whether or not you will be hired for a police job. Some cops I know only have a GED. Affirmative action in MA has made it so that education is the least of the reasons why you would make it onto a police department.

It sounds as though you've done very well for yourself. I wouldn't put all your knowledge to waste sitting around waiting for a card in the mail from civil circus.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.