Ask A Cop [Keep it or delete it??] | MassCops

Ask A Cop [Keep it or delete it??]

Discussion in 'MassCops News' started by Gil, Sep 13, 2009.

?

Ask A Cop Forum

Poll closed Sep 23, 2009.
  1. Keep it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Delete it!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Ask a Cop, looking for input on whether to keep it or delete it, It seems to just draw in the trolls that we end up banning anyway.

Plus keep in mind that we are not going to be posting our findings as to their name etc anymore as this has just brought me headaches in the past.

What say you all??

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Gil,

I don't ask for much, but removing "Ask a Cop" would eliminate so much free entertainment, it would be a damn shame.

PLEASE don't turn this place into o.com.......

3. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

What a rarity; I agree with Delta. :rolleyes:

If I had a penny for the amount of times I've laughed out loud reading AAC threads, I'd be a very rich man.

4. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I'd have to agree.

Also, answering many of the questions cause me to revisit the parts of the law I'd long forgotten or had no reason to use since I graduated from the academy. It keeps me fresh. I'd venture to say I get more out of it than do those whose question is being answered.

Personally, if the status quo is absolutely unacceptable, I'd prefer to see it scaled back rather than eliminated entirely. If your goal is to make it more serious, I humbly suggest perhaps a registration requirement, a scaleback on the flaming allowed, or being more selective of the threads that are allowed to be created. (Again, I humbly suggest the latter as I know it would place a heavier burden on the mods.)

Still, as Bruce said, the entertainment value of some are absolutely priceless.

5. 5-0

5-0 Guest

I say keep it. I post my patrol questions as an unregistered person, so I don't ruin
    5-0's good name. LOL

6. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Like anything, its great in moderation and there have even been legitimate questions asked and answered there. Sometimes its gotten crazy, especially with that last troll lawyer causing grief but it was handled well by the mods and admin. Personally I like the chuckles Ive gotten out of it. I like most of the changes but will miss contributing to the HBT( yes I know there are sites just for that). I came here as a guest three years ago and just stayed on ( like a bad inlaw) and have made alot of friends here. I dont know if youre planning on going to a LEO only forum (in which case I would be excluded ) but in any case I thank you for the site you created....it was and has been a godsend for me.

7. Boston Irish Lass

Boston Irish Lass MassCops Member

I'm not LE but I really do feel my skip a littell beat when I see a new question in the unread messages list

8. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Maybe in addition to the "changes", it's time for a verified LEO section, plus the verified title under the screen name. Quick email or a call to the job, badda bing-done. Anybody who doesn't want it publicly known can take the title out but still have access to the verified threads. Non sworn are still great around here, but sometimes stuff needs to be really private, not just in After Hours...

9. badgebunny

badgebunny "Tinkerbell"

Keep it...

10. NewEngland2007

NewEngland2007 Active Member

There are people who have legitimate questions they'd like an answer to, and it doubtless helps some members refresh on a point of law, or illustrate the real world application to people who are studying criminal justice or law.

Are you able to auto-scan submitted Ask a Cop questions for key words and spit back suggested threads for frequently asked ones? Moderating them was a great idea and has indeed cut down on trolling. The likes of Ekswired make attempts on all boards.

11. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I knew this was you 5-0!
    LTC question, But have one *I believe* misdemeanor. Can i still possibly get it?

12. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

OMG A badgebunny!!!! WTF.... j/k bunny, kinda ironic the one with the namesake is not in the group of the ones I was referring too

Ok that issue should be fixed, only new threads are moderated so replies should go right through now...

13. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Just to clarify, Gil, should things start to go south, they can still ask if the officer was wearing his hat etc?

14. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

If you only knew how many times Ekswired has tried to rejoin with
    different handles and IP addys. He was one pain in the a$$.

15. Simon

Simon Guest

16. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

I say keep it as well G, but make it so the user has to register, and all new AAC threads by new users has to be approved through the moderation process.

17. caesar

caesar MassCops Member

I think we have enough hope and change bullshit going on now. I vote for keeping this forum the way it was. I don't care for the new changes at all.

18. Boston Irish Lass

I don't know what the requirements would be to make it possible, but why not simplify this process and make the entire site non-postable unless you're registered?

19. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

All other forums already have that requirement BIL, AAC was the only forum that permitted anonymous posts.
    So in essence, if we make it mandatory that only registered users can post in AAC, by default the entire site will be registered users only.

20. Boston Irish Lass

See what happens when you register first and then post? There's all kinds of things you miss

21. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

I don't mind occasionally answering questions in Ask-a-Cop, plus the trolls were priceless entertainment. I say keep it!

22. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

If this place is going to start getting serious, I might as well go back to work...

23. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

I am in with the majority. AAC does help some of the newbie officers (although they will never admit it). Plus it reminds us of how clueless the general public is to our profession, usually with a chuckle.

24. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I think AAC should stay however... I think some members need to knock it down a notch on responses.

I understand that many of the questions are stupid as well as infuriating but I am not sure that calling people names, or being capt. sarcastic. is quite the way we want to interact with people.

Personally speaking I believe that all questions in AAC should be answered Professionally or not at all. I know on occasion some questions are so asinine that not answering them in a sarcastic manner or demeaning manner would be nearly impossible. However as others I and others have said in the past it is not worth feeding the trolls.

Close the threads that are out of line and move on.

25. LongKnife56

LongKnife56 MassCops Member

On most forums I am on one of the main purposes are for members to share information and knowledge. Some people just sign up on them to ask a (0ne) question that they could have easily just Googled for and then never return or even provide a thank you for any info received. Others could have easily found their answer is they had just searched the particular first as noobies ask the same question over and over again and are routinely told they should have searched first as it is annoying to be asked the same thing.

I do like to say that there is no stupid question, but I often wonder if that is true.

So here's my take:

1. You need to decide on the main purpose(s) of the board. Is the whole thing to be by, for and of LE personnel only, or just a section of it? Is it to be only a place for LE people to share only LE info? Since I am not LE, I hope at least part of it will remain open to non-LE. I particularly hope that the political stuff will still be allowed as it is nice to share views on the issues of the day. As for whether any part of it should operate as a dating service, people can pretty much avoid that on their own if they choose.

2. I think people should be required to register in order to post and their first posts should continue to be moderated. I do not know how much trouble it is to screen out repeat offenders, nor any idea how persistent they are. I do think people that have a lot of posts (say 50+), or that are verified LE people should be able to post in the "Ask A Cop" section without moderation.

3. I recognize that my trolling detector is not as acute as yours are. I recognize that the media is out to get certain groups and police officers are certainly one of their target groups, however I think many of the Ask A Cop questions are just the ones that would usually be expected by people who start typing first before engaging their brain. As for other sub-forums, during the height of the gHates-Crowley controversy I wondered why no reporters posing as members or lefties were not interjecting provocative comments or questions but maybe they were being moderated out, or perhaps they were content just to read.

4. I am sure it is annoying to continually get questions such as "I broke the law, how can I get off." Why someone would expect a police officer to tell them this, I have no clue. I also have no clue on what the appropriate response(s) should be, but I am not sure ones such as "was the officer was wearing his cover?" or "always appeal" do so much to improve the law enforcement community image but I appreciate that such responses are entertaining for the long time users. Most noobies finally understand and accept the humor but it may be better for the LE image if the issue is clear cut to simply say "you broke the law, own up" or possibly "if you need legal advice, hire a lawyer."

26. 78thrifleman

78thrifleman Smurf theft victim

First off, I'll say, like the others, it's Gil's site and his to do with what he wants.

I have to agree, though, that it seems like this place is about to get much more serious than I've ever seen it and I'm disappointed. I only joined 4 years ago, so I don't know the history of it, but I made a lot of friends and contacts here, had ppl to my house, etc. This was always a place to come when I was bored for some sort of entertainment.

The only changes I'd like to see are cosmetics or features. In other words, I joined masscops because I liked what I saw. If there are many changes, masscops will not be masscops anymore, at least in my eyes.

Gil has a successful site here. In my experience, if you mess too much with what is already working and successful, you might lose it.

Just my opinion.