Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who may be in the running for the Chief's job? I used to work in a neighboring town and knew the cops. A really good group. The department is a diamond in the rough and would be outstanding with the right chief..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind...answered my own question

Search Committee to review 50 police chief resumes
By Caitlyn Kelleher

ASHBURNHAM -- Interim Town Administrator Norman Thidemann expects the Police Chief Search Committee to review about 50 resumes next week, in the first step to fill the vacant position.

Town officials received 47 resumes by Wednesday afternoon, the day resumes were required to be postmarked by, Thidemann said. He speculated that four or five more will arrive in the next couple of days.

"My personal opinion is (the candidates) go way beyond what I was expecting in terms of their qualifications and experience," Thidemann said.

Former Police Chief Roy "Skip" Bourque resigned as of March 7, 2005 after a year-long, town-wide controversy over the management of the police department. John E. Murray is filling the position as an interim chief until a new one is hired.

The search committee will conduct a preliminary review of the applications and determine the next step, said Steven Unsworth, the consultant hired to help with the search.

The committee will decide between sending the narrowed-down list of candidates a questionnaire and asking for written responses; having Unsworth conduct phone interviews with the candidates; or conducting personal interviews with each person, Unsworth said.

"The committee will discuss that and advise me which of those three steps that they want," he said.

Thidemann said using a questionnaire is a common process.

More than one of these steps may be conducted before the committee picks about five candidates to participate in an "assessment center activity," Unsworth said.

"There could be steps three and four (steps) depending on what the committee wants," Unsworth said. "It's a narrowing (process)."

The candidates will participate in a series of role-playing exercises to help determine their knowledge during the assessment center activity, he explained. The situations will be designed specifically for the town and the candidates will be evaluated by three current police chiefs.

He said the committee will be "very concerned about the work history," and the "management and policing style" of the candidates to ensure those qualities match with the town's and police department's views.

Committee will recommend candidates to the new town administrator, who will hire the new chief.

Selectmen have offered the town administrator job to Kevin Paicos; he is currently negotiating a contract with the town

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.