Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with article 17a? Just got it in my mailbox at work. Something about hearings for state CPOs and upgrading essential functions. Any info Sink? Just got back in the state system - seems I missed a lot. Seems they are asking me to fill out my opinions on what kind of training and equipment we want and if I would participate in hearings in Boston. I am seriously curious here.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Article 17a?

Of What? a contract? Are you AFSCME? We need more to go on buddy
:blink:

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you are aware, requests for Art. 17A reviews have been submitted to the Office of Employee Relations. It is anticipated hearings will be scheduled following Columbus Day.

Among the titles/series submitted for upgrading is the Campus Police Officer ("CPO") Series. As the officers are assigned "24/7", we want to make sure all officers have the opportunity to participate in the preparation for the upgrading/"Essential Functions" review process. To that end, would you please provide sufficient copies of this form to the Campus Police HQ at your Local so that each officer in the CPO Series has an opportunity to review and complete it. Thank You.

Campus Police Officer Questionairre
(Attach additional sheets if necessary)​

1. Name:
2: Title:
3: Years of State Service:
4: Military Service: (include years of service, branch of service, rank at discharge)

5: Prior Police (or related) service (list employer and dates):

6. List equipment you feel you need but do not have:

7.List topics about which added training should be provided:

8. Would you be willing to participate in meetings with Council 93 representatives concerning revision of current position descriptions and policies?

9. Would you be willinf to participate in meetings with OER/HRD in Boston concerning revision of "Essential Functions" of the position descriptions in the CPO Series?

10. If the answer to 8. and/or 9. id affirmative, please provide e-mail address and telephone contact numbers, as well as your schedule:

Please either return to your Local President or fax to 617 367-1790, or mail to my attention at 8 Beacon St., Boston, Ma. 02108. Any questions, call me at (617) 367-6044

Thank you,

Atty. Joseph L. DeLorey
Asst. General Counsel/Coordinator​

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Some Clarification:

The 17A/Essential Functions issue was in relation to Unit#2 Job Specifications for folks like Campus Police Officer I, Clerk II, Maintainer I, Institutional Security Officer I-II-III, etc.These are the old (1987) general and broad guidelines published by the old Personnel Administration. Since HRD came into existence and promulgated HRD Form 30's, the old Classification Series are obsolete and too vague. HRD Form 30 is Agency-specific and allows for each agency to identify essential functions, tasks, and even qualifications, trainings, licenses, certifications, skills, etc. that are required for hire and/or retention.

Now the reason many of us didn't know diddly about this when the thread started was because the OER (Office of Employee Relations) was solicited by AFSCME to review titles in unit#2 for possible revsion of some titles. (like making Campus Police Officer simply Police Officer) This article 17A relates to Human Services (DMR/DMH/DPH/Etc)

For the above reasons, it is clear that ALL State employed Police Officers would be better served by one union and/or affiliation with a central organization like MAPS.

GO MCLEA!!!!!!!!!!:t:

BTW= Joseph Delorey/Assistant General Counsel identified above specializes in defending AFSCME against suits by it owns members, for failure to represent. (see Bedford Case-Middlesex Superior Court & Santos v. AFSCME)
:-k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.