Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had any type of contact with army recruiters before. I got a call today from a recruiter in Brockton. He asked my info and what not, asked if I wanted to meet with him. I said sure, why not (I'm in college, still looking around at what I want to do). He asked if I wanted meet with him at his office in Brockton. I don't have a car, so he said he could pick me up. Is this usually what happens? I have his name and the number he gave me was for the office in Brockton, anyone have any info? He also said we could stay at my house. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
The recruiter may have obtained your name from where you are attending school.......possibly a guidance counselor. It does not seem strange to me that he offered to pick you up if you dont have transportation...recruiters often provide transportation to M.E.P.S (Military Entrance Processing Stations) for taking a physical and ASVAB for entrance into the military. Recruiters often are evaluated on the number of individuals that they can successfully enlist so if he is motivated I am sure he would offer/provide transportation.

As always be cautious in getting into any strangers vehicle! If he is an Army Recruiter he should be in a uniform and have a goverment car w/goverment plates.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If he is dressed in a clown costume and wants to give you a lollipop....DON'T GET IN!
Hahahah. THANKS MOM! :D No, I actually just called back to double check that he was a real guy. Haha. I asked if we could just stay at my house, he said it was fine. He said the gov't pays for his car and gas, so I understand that he has no problem coming here. He said he was at my HS today and I never met with him while I was in HS. I dunno. It's just an option. Never know.

Thanks guys.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
The Army is a great experiance plus it helps if you want to be a PO in mass

·
Registered
55 Posts
The recruiters actually get additional pay for taking new prospects out to eat and stuff..so if you dont go they get to keep the cash. Good deal huh!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The recruiters actually get additional pay for taking new prospects out to eat and stuff..so if you dont go they get to keep the cash. Good deal huh!
Aww what the crap. He said "I'll buy you a cup of coffee or something on the way back" but I decided just to stay at my house instead. I'm pissed now....lol. Jk.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Well you could try the Air Force, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard for some free eats before making a decision. :wink:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Do yourself a favor and join the Marine Corps. If you don't have the gonads join the ARMY (aint ready for marines yet) :lol: . I'm just kidding, any type of service will get you in shape and give you leadership skills. It is a great place to start; however, if you go in now you will be shipped out over seas within 6 months. Always remember to get what you want from the recruiter, don't let them tell you what they can give you. :icon_hum:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree, military service is a wonderful thing. I think the Army still has the 2-year active/6-reserves program where you enlist for 2 on active duty and you put 4 in as a drilling reservist and you're IRR for 2 yrs.

Also, be VERY sure of what you sign. None of this "I can get you this MOS, (or this Bonus or this duty station), but I can't put it in the contract" crap. If its not in the contract, there's no guarrentee.

I loved my time in the Army, and think its a good choice. But seriously, check out the other branches too and see what they have to offer, and don't count out the Reserves and Nat'l Guard either!

Hey MarineCop: When you're looking down at your toes, (and the tape reads YMRA SU) stands for Yes My Retarded Ass Signed Up

My two cents...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I know they're sales men. My dad basically called me an idiot because I'm even considering it. I'm a smart person, I wouldn't just sign my life away to a guy I met for 30 minutes. I'm just looking at some options because I really don't know what I'm doing with my life. I want to be a cop, in MA, but right now that doesn't seem very realistic. Vet. preference is huge.

Thanks for all the information guys!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You're not an idiot for considering it! The military is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. In the military, you have the chance to do more in three years then most of your peers will do in a lifetime. And that vet pref doesn't end with the MA civil service exam, many private employers prefer to hire veterans because they know they're almost always hiring a high quallity individual who can get the job done.

I used to run my own small business, and when I'd have a bunch of applications or resumes on my desk, I would always interview the applicants with military service first.

:sb:

G

·
If you are a person of commitment, then do it. I joined the Army National Guard 15 years ago and loved it. I joined an MP unit and most of my best friends are from it. They are also mostly deputies, officers and Troopers (a great way to network). When you are with your unit, whether it be training or deployments, you experience a life you never could as a civilian.
I do wish I did a few years active in the beginning, but I don't regret it. The Guard was lacking in equipment and training when I first joined. Since Desert Storm and Bosnia, both changed for the better. Overseas training or augmenting missions overseas are commonplace.
If you join, do it because you are committed and give a sh*$. Whether you join the active or the reserve components, expect to do your time (6 months - 2 years) in a choice of wonderful deployments: Bosnia, OEF, OIF, and all the other up and coming places the war on terrorism brings.

·
Subscribing Member
2,550 Posts
I looked into the Army last year before settling on the Air Force, the Army will pretty much tell you what you want to hear. Want the best go talk to anybody back for recruiter assistance with the Air Force, they will tell you the truth. I'm leaving for basic in 2 weeks i'll let you know what it's like when i get graduate. Just remember the only idiot is the one who doesn't exploere all his/her options.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
SPINMASS said:
the Army will pretty much tell you what you want to hear. Want the best go talk to anybody back for recruiter assistance with the Air Force, they will tell you the truth. .
Allllllllrighty then!!!!! :shock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.