Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 11th of November in 1918 was when the First World War officially came to an end. And that day has been formally marked every year since in remembrance of those who died. When I was growing up it was known as Armistice Day in Australia and I still think of it as that. It is however now formally Remembrance Day. It is Veterans Day in the USA. It is perhaps a little more significant this year as the 90th anniversary of the event. Britain certainly seems to have been engaging in more than the usual amount of commemoration in the last few days.

It is indeed a fitting occasion to remember. All wars are bad but that one probably reached a highpoint in ghastliness. And the amount of the slaughter was phenomenal. Few British and Australians emerged from it without the loss of at least one family member. One of my uncles twice removed died in it.

The suffering endured by the troops at the front was so awful that the war became known as "the war to end all wars". No reasonable person wanted another war. Even Theodore Roosevelt lost his enthusiasm for war when one of his sons died in it. And no politician thereafter could come to power unless he was seen as anti-war. The history books have washed memory of it away but even Hitler came to power as an advocate of peace.

I am putting up below a picture of a Nazi propaganda poster of the 1930s that you won't believe unless you are aware of how readily all Leftists preach one thing and do another. It reads Mit Hitler gegen den Ruestungswahnsinn der Welt. And what does that mean? It means "With Hitler against the armaments madness of the world".

And how about the second poster below? It would be from the March 5, 1933 election when Hitler had become Chancellor but Marshall Hindenburg was still President. Translated, the poster reads: "The Marshall and the corporal fight alongside us for peace and equal rights" (Der Marschall und der Grefreite kaempfen mit uns fuer Frieden und Gleichberechtigung)

Convinced yet? If not, maybe the next one below will convince. It is a poster for one of Hitler's famous Nuremberg rallies. It reads: Reichsparteitag des Friedens, 1939. That translates as "National party rally for peace, 1939".

And the fourth poster reads: Mit Adolf Hitler "Ja" fuer Gleichberechtigung und Frieden -- which translates as "With Adolf Hitler "Yes" for equal rights and peace" -- the same old standby slogans that the Left trot out to this day, of course.

So if there is any lesson to be learnt from the ghastliness of the 20th century, it surely is that loud "antiwar" cries from the Left are fraudulent. Such cries are just bait for the gullible and a mask for their real love of destruction.

Sadly, there will never be an end to the desire of some people to prey on others so there will never be an end to war. And any pretence otherwise is at best ignorant.

Posted by John Ray.

http://interested-participant.blogspot.com/

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From an e-mail

Get a load of these high school kids singing. At the conclusion listen to the high notes on the trumpet, played by a high school kid! One of the fathers recorded it, added some graphic enhancements to the recording, and posted it on the web. The song, of course, is the ' Battle Hymn Of The Republic.' Be prepared-it could send a few shivers up your spine.

Click below:

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle Hymn/index.htm

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Thank you all for you service...I have to say how disgusted I am though...I had the radio on for 2 hrs this morning and never heard a mention of Veterans Day...

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
Armistice Day: Britain remembers its fallen soldiers

Britain fell silent at 11am to remember the countless soldiers who
have given their lives for their country.

Three of the four surviving British veterans of World War I have helped
mark the 90th anniversary of the end of the conflict.

Henry Allingham, 112, Harry Patch, 110, and Bill Stone, 108, represented
the RAF, Army and Royal Navy respectively at a ceremony at London's
Cenotaph.
They led the country in observing two minutes' silence from 1100 GMT.

The three veterans were met with a round of applause as they were
wheeled to the Cenotaph for the ceremony.

Lit up by rays of winter sunshine, the men watched silently as their armed
forces representatives laid wreaths on their behalf, one by one.
The ceremony formed the core of Britain's most important service to mark
the 90th anniversary Armistice Day commemorations.

Mr Allingham - the world's oldest World War I veteran and the UK's oldest
man - said: "I'm glad to be here. It means a lot to me. I hope people
realise what my pals sacrificed on their behalf."

The last-known survivor of the Battle of Jutland, who is partially deaf and
nearly blind, said his comrades should never be forgotten, and he could
not describe what they meant to him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ay-Britain-remembers-its-fallen-soldiers.html

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
God Bless the fighting men and women who preserve freedom for us at the cost of their own lives.
You owe us nothing, we owe you everything.
God Bless the United States.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So far as the Atomic Bomb is concerned, while it is a scientific invention of the first water, it is not as earthshaking as you might think. When man first began fighting man, he unquestionably used his teeth, toenails, and fingernails. Then one day a very terrified or else very inventive genius picked up a rock and bashed a man in the head while he was gnawing at his vitals. The news of this unheard of weapon unquestionably shocked Neolithic Society, but they became accustomed to it. Thousands of years later, another genius picked up the splintered rib of a Mastodon and using it as a dagger, thrust it into the gentleman with a rock in his hand. Again, pre-historic society was shocked and said, "There will surely be no more wars. Did you hear about the Mastodon bone?" When the shield, slingshot, javelin and the sword and armor were successively invented, each in it's turn was heralded by the proponents as a means of destroying the world or of stopping war. Certainly the advent of the Atomic Bomb was not half
as startling as the initial appearance of gunpowder. I remember two inventions which were supposed to stop war; namely the submarine and the tank. Yet, wars go blithely on and will continue to do so when your great grandchildren are very old men.

- General George S. Patton Jr.

...To all who have served

1 - 14 of 14 Posts