Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BELLE ISLE, Fla. -- It's the city Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty lives in, but as of October 1 the city of Belle Isle is no longer patrolled by Orange County deputies. Instead of real deputies, Belle Isle is hiring security guards to patrol their city.Crotty says Orange County taxpayers have been footing Belle Isle's bill for years. Personally, he doesn't want to pay more taxes, but said if there are deputies on these streets than it's only fair to pay for services he receives.When Melissa Pinion says she takes daily walks with her children in Belle Isle, she is able to do it because she feels safe seeing Orange County deputies patrolling the area"I see them constantly roaming up and down the streets no matter what time it was," Pinion said.But that has now changed. Sheriff Kevin Beary has removed all off-duty officers. Belle Isle says it currently gives the county $800,000 to pay for two off-duty deputies 24-7.But the county says the city has been getting a deal for years and it's time to pay a Municipal Service Taxing Unit (MTSU) tax like everyone else. It wants an extra $1 million. Belle Isle has refused, so now deputies will only respond to the area for 911 calls."I think they either need to pay to support their own police department or they need to pay their fare to the county," Pinion said.Instead, Belle Isle voted Wednesday to hire armed private security guards. The city will also be hiring a consultant to figure out what they should do next.Orange County
Mayor Rich Crotty lives in Belle Isle and is concerned about his safety."Is this licensed law enforcement security that can makes arrests and provide full service or are these security guards at Wal-Mart?" Crotty questioned.But one resident says why take a chance; you get what you pay for."They done a good job so far. Why not continue with them?" resident Michael Bigg questioned.The county also feels the city is using the deputies to make money. Last year the city earned $156,000 from traffic tickets. Eyewitness News asked for crime stats, but city officials would not provide the numbers. They would only say crime is low.
WFTV

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Are you friggin kidding me...theres a huge difference between a Security Guard and a Law Enforcement Officer....nothing good can come from this..I know...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Lock and Key and deterence (maybe) and some arrest powers for obvious things (depending on state mostly relating to shoplifting).

This would be like replacing a cardiac surgeon with an EMT-B. Makes no sense at all, sounds like a good idea on paper, but totally moronic in practice.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
I'm not surprised, they've already privatized corrections and fire in othe parts of the country. Someone was bound to try it. Let's face it, the overwhelming majority of what we do isn't law enforcement related. My money is on other places following suit, reducing the number of sworn officers who will only respond to crime calls and having "rent-a-wrecks" handle service calls. These hacks will gladly do all of the crap calls that we all bitch about hanlding just for the opportunity to wear a uniform. In tough economic times we are all in jeopardy, even though tough times usually means an increase in crime.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It seems that the privatization of all municipal services seems to be a growing trend. I cannot see how this will possibly save any money, due to the fact that these companies that provide these services are there for one thing, and that's to turn a profit. The state has an obligation to its citizens, these corporations have no such allegiance.

G

·
Guys shhh Deval might find out about this, and make a State Security Dept. made up of flag men just think they can patrol the highways and do flagging.

·
Adios, muchacho!
254 Posts
Can't wait until my TYL (thin yellow line) stickers come in!!!
I think alot of plane tickets were just purchased by members privateofficer.com :rolleyes:
Some of the whackerism on that site is amazing!
http://privateofficer.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1964710%3ATopic%3A2025
This noble constable was arrested after doing twice the speed limit and nearly killing an officer (a real one that is) when he ran a red light in his whackerized crown vic and has the balls to blame the cops for being mad at him. This almost seems too good to be true.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts

http://privateofficer.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1964710:Topic:2025
This noble constable was arrested after doing twice the speed limit and nearly killing an officer (a real one that is) when he ran a red light in his whackerized crown vic and has the balls to blame the cops for being mad at him. This almost seems too good to be true.
I would suggest you do a search on our site for private officer .com
it may enlighten you

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts

http://privateofficer.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1964710:Topic:2025
Not ragging on ya but I think you missed something a week or so back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts