Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Get off my lawn!
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss for words....

Tucson, Arizona — A Tucson police officer has been fired after he was accused of shooting a shoplifting suspect in a wheelchair nine times, killing him, after the man brandished a knife, authorities said. The video, released by the Tucson Police Department, shows the fatal confrontation between Officer Ryan Remington and a man in a wheelchair. The man, identified by police as 61-year-old Richard Lee Richards, was in a motorized wheelchair at the time and had brandished a knife, but had his back to the officer at the time of the shooting. The incident occurred when the Walmart employee noticed Richards leave the store without paying for a toolbox. The employee followed Richards into the parking lot and asked if he had a receipt. Richards then waved a knife at the worker and said: “Here’s your receipt.”

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
These are the only cops that will be left over when they fire all the good ones for not taking the job.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Forget the taser, sounds like this job could have been handled with a Denver Boot.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
I have to admit I didn't watch a video before I first commented. The headline said enough, when I watched the video a few times it's one of the few times where the headline was absolutely right. This guy is going to really enjoy prison, where he belongs. If you want to disqualify people who have ever been in a physical altercation from getting hired as law enforcement, you will get people who will shoot a guy in a wheelchair rather than just kick him the fuck out of it and handcuff him. This guy is flawed, I don't even know if it's the training or the job, but this guy is wrong on every level. I don't usually think someone who makes a mistake deserves to go to jail, this guy deserves whatever fate a woke jury decides.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I can watch the most questionable OIS or use of force video or scene, and I can at least find one small detail or exigent circumstance to justify the actions of the officer. I still feel Chauvin should be a free man and that he had no intent to kill Floyd he was simply following his dept policies and acting in good faith. But with the "it looks awful but its lawful" and the "we have to take the totality of the circumstances involved" as well as the "I wasn't there so I can't opine on the incident" et al. cannot, and shall not apply. You can't plug a quadriplegic 9 times in the back and claim you were in fear of your, or anyone's else life.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Screw that if the guy has a knife, you could get cut to ribbons while messing around with flex cuffs, just stick your baton into the spokes of one of the wheels.
Our Regular didn’t stab. I’ve spoked a few bikes though…

·
Get off my lawn!
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah he was a shit bag who should have been in jail but that still doesn't justify that shoot. The Weird Al look however, remains open to debate.
Hair Glasses Forehead Cheek Vision care

TUCSON (KVOA) - The News 4 Tucson Investigators have uncovered the criminal history of Richard Lee Richards, who was shot nine times and killed by a Tucson Police Department officer on Monday.

Richards' has a long criminal history going back to the 80s.

According to court records, he was sentenced to 10 years in 2007 for first-degree attempted murder, aggravated assault and resisting arrest for crimes that took place in the 90s.

Records show he was released in 2018 but then was jailed again in 2019 for "transporting illegal aliens for profit" after being stopped by Border Patrol in Nogales.

In Federal court records, his attorney is quoted saying Richards' developed "severe physical problems" while in custody and this limited his ability to move, putting him in a wheelchair.

Richards' could be seen in the body cam footage from the shooting, shared by TPD Chief Chris Magnus, moving around in a motorized wheelchair.

He was gunned down by Officer Remington as he was trying to enter a Lowe's on Valencia. Responding officers can be heard in the video saying Richards' was carrying a knife.

Chief Magnus said during a news conference Tuesday that Officer Remington has been terminated and the Pima County Attorney is investigating.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Should have gone with the PIT.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,830 Posts
Has this gone National? Ahhhh.........Ok the dude isn't black.
But seriously WTF was that officer thinking!?!?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts