Area soldier to appear on CNN program | MassCops

Area soldier to appear on CNN program

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 6, 2007.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

BRIDGEWATER — Philip R. Rand Jr. was low-key when he was awarded the Bronze Star two years ago for repelling a two-hour insurgent attack on the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

More of this story

2. badogg88

badogg88 New Member

When will he be on? I'm from Bridgewater...

3. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

This a perfect example of why the full article should be published on the site
    the article is only one day old.

404 - File Not Found!

The requested documentprintDocumentName() , http://www.southofboston.com/articles/2007/02/05/2headlines/news/news/news03.txt, could not be found!printEmailLink() or, contact the webmaster at [email protected].

Story from another source:
    Philip R. Rand Jr. was low-key when he was awarded the Bronze Star two years ago for repelling a two-hour insurgent attack on the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
    He let his family know at the end of a two paragraph e-mail.
    Now, a much wider audience will know of his heroics.
    “Lou Dobbs Tonight,” a CNN news program, will be in town this week to profile Rand as part of its ongoing “Heroes” segment, which highlights servicemen and women who return home after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Rand said he was surprised by the show's interest in his story. “They called about six months ago and left a message. I figured they moved on,” he said. “Then they called me back recently.”
    A crew is expected to tape Rand — a Bridgewater police officer — at the police station and at his Plymouth home this week.
    Rand's wife, Heather, formerly of East Bridgewater, said the show had been trying to get in touch with him for a while but he was too modest to pursue the calls.
    “I'm surprised that they got a hold of him,” she said. “He returned a call here and there ... I'm very proud of him. He would jump into anything to help out people.”
    Rand was one of two members of the 1-102nd Field Artillery National Guard serving in Iraq in 2005 to be awarded the Bronze Star with “V” for valor for helping to repel insurgents.
    The Bronze Star medal is given to anyone who distinguishes himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement. The “Valor device” is awarded to represent valor in combat.
    Rand and Master Sgt. Joe Young, 52, of Orange were awarded the Bronze Star for repelling a two-hour insurgent attack on the Forward Operating Base Abu Ghraib on April 2, 2005, that left 36 members of coalition forces injured. The base houses a prison, hospital and support base.
    One of the weapons systems went down and, with mortar rounds in close, a five-member National Guard group that included Rand scrambled to replace it and fend off the insurgents, according to the U.S. Department of Defense News.
    Rand, son of Philip Rand Sr. and Jane Rand of Plymouth, grew up in Brockton and later moved to East Bridgewater with his wife. The couple later moved to Plymouth, where his parents moved about four years ago.
    Rand has been home since Dec. 18, 2005, and is back at work on the police department. He and his wife had their first child, Philip Rand III, on Jan. 20 — their sixth wedding anniversary.
    Rand said he expects to remain home for at least two years.