Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The LED light bar probably costs as much as the car. They had to go with LED because standard strobes would have slowed it down when they put the lights on!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I heard, the Prius sells for around $20,000....so around the same as a "normal" cruiser would go for. The real savings comes at the pump though. They get something like 80 miles to the gallon. I'm still trying to picture that car responding though, LOL :shock:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You guys laugh - but there's probably a serious end to this.

I crashed my Toyota Camry a few months ago and replaced it with the Honda Civic Hybrid. I get about 42MPG on average (i work in danvers, live in Taunton, so have to drive through the city each day)

But the car has major zip - I cruise at 65 - 80 w/o any problem and have found the car to have far better acceleration than my old Camry.

I did not drive the Prius as they are very difficult to get - but I would imagine that the performance is similar....

In any event, perhaps that university police department rarely has to respond at high speed... that car may fit their bill.

Bryan

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
They get like 50 MPG, they are a HUGE liability in crashes, they have no track history of lifecycle and total cost of ownership, they are not proven for reliability and certainly have no real "bang" for the buck. Also the TOTAL environmental impact of these vehicles is horrible!
People say it's green because it uses less gas...unfortunately the process to make the high voltage NiMH battery that these things use to store electricity DESTROYS the environment. Granted they are making the batteries in China, who doesn't have to abide by hardly any pollution control standards (it's been granted developing nation status by the WTO), so it's not messing up my streams right now but is doing untold damage to the environment of the planet.
Now here's the real kicker, the car, with its complex manufacturing process and electrical system costs about $48,000 to make but subsidies for these type of vehicles brings the price down...BUT when you go to get repairs, there are no subsidies on your repair parts.
Last bit of my rant, the high voltage lines that run through the car stay charged for 5+ minutes, cut into them as part of an extraction...die on the spot. In Lenox all the yuppies are touting their "green" cars that they roll out for photo ops...and I'm a bit tired of hearing how "green" these cars are..when they really aren't.
Rant over and this isn't directed at anyone...just something that really gets under my skin.

From what I heard, the Prius sells for around $20,000....so around the same as a "normal" cruiser would go for. The real savings comes at the pump though. They get something like 80 miles to the gallon. I'm still trying to picture that car responding though, LOL :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SOT...just goes to show I should believe none of what I hear, and only half of what I see :shock: Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
164 Posts
It may not even be a standard patrol vehicle, probably a huggie-feelie sing Kyumbaya and make the student life office feel as if you care kinda vehicle.

Civil deputies in FL have been using fully marked Priuses when serving papers for awhile now. There was an article in one of the trades recently about it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Civil deputies in FL have been using fully marked Priuses when serving papers for awhile now. There was an article in one of the trades recently about it.
Makes sense though, why would you need a V8 to serve papers?

I wish NSCC would do this. The Blazer they drive at the Danvers campus is pointless-a golf cart would be better. I understand the point at the Lynn campus because they are in the middle of a city with people parking in our lot etc but in Danvers it is in the middle of the woods and is totally isolated,its not like you can park in the Danvers campus and go some where else. :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
I used to sell toyotas so i know a lil bit about the first prius. They get an average of 50 miles a gallon they have 70 something batteries the system gets recharged when it gets low by the gas engine starting up kind of like an air compressor. I actually had the car up to 90 before on the highway just to see how fast it would go. The other thing is the car handles remarkably well. I drove it on a slalom course doing 50 MPH through the cones. It also has a full bumper to bumper warranty for i think 3 years/ 36,000 miles then the hybrid system has a 8yr/100,000 mile warranty. It's a relativly good and safe car. But looks wise I'd rather have the Civic Hybrid

Scott :pc:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to sell toyotas so i know a lil bit about the first prius. They get an average of 50 miles a gallon they have 70 something batteries the system gets recharged when it gets low by the gas engine starting up kind of like an air compressor. I actually had the car up to 90 before on the highway just to see how fast it would go. The other thing is the car handles remarkably well. I drove it on a slalom course doing 50 MPH through the cones. It also has a full bumper to bumper warranty for i think 3 years/ 36,000 miles then the hybrid system has a 8yr/100,000 mile warranty. It's a relativly good and safe car. But looks wise I'd rather have the Civic Hybrid

Scott :pc:
I have the civic hybrid - it's a great car!
Bryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts