Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard rumors that the MBTA Police had low morale and a high turnover rate. From what I know they seem to be a very good dept to work for. Are the rumors true? The pay seems decent so I don't see why there'd be any problems. Any T-Officers on this forum?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Its a police job in MA, TAKE IT! Seriously, it don't matter if it sucks. Make the best of it and if it is not for you.......you can transfer. If you ask questions like that, you are setting yourself up for the job to be a disaster. Go in with a positive attitude and give it your all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Actually you can't transfer, Chief Carter refuses to sign any transfer papers. You can quit and try to get a job somewhere else within 5 years as provided under civil service.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Southside";p="63265 said:
Its a police job in MA, TAKE IT! Seriously, it don't matter if it sucks. Make the best of it and if it is not for you.......you can transfer. If you ask questions like that, you are setting yourself up for the job to be a disaster. Go in with a positive attitude and give it your all.
Oh I'm not saying I would not take it. Believe me, if they offered me a job I wouldn't need to think about it. I was just curious that's all.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Hey Proud,
These rumors you have been hearing, are they true??
Gee, let's see.........about 400 cops have passed through the doors at the T in the last 10 years. 180 member department. You do the math.

It's a great job. It's only what you make of it. If offered, you'd better jump at it but remember. The grass is NOT always greener. But how many small PD's can offer you Special Ops, K-9, Narcotics, Detectives and membership in the JTTF Boston Office? Not many.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey ProudAmerican the T Police is a great job with alot of room for advancement. I know a few years ago the pay was really low, however they make pretty good money now. Also it is a common misconception that you need your chief to sign your transfer papers. I know a few COPS who have transfered in to the Framingham police department with out the blessing of the Chief where they came from. All you need to do is get the job offer in writing from the new department, and then resign from the old one. I believe you then have to be sworn in the new department within 24 hours. As long as the new department is aware of your situation you won't have a problem. Southside and HousingCop have got it all right, the job will be what you make of it.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HousingCop";p="63288 said:
Hey Proud,
These rumors you have been hearing, are they true??
Gee, let's see.........about 400 cops have passed through the doors at the T in the last 10 years. 180 member department. You do the math.

It's a great job. It's only what you make of it. If offered, you'd better jump at it but remember. The grass is NOT always greener. But how many small PD's can offer you Special Ops, K-9, Narcotics, Detectives and membership in the JTTF Boston Office? Not many.
As always I appreciate the feedback I'm getting from everyone. If the T-Police makes me an offer I'll be more than willing to take it. Housingcop, how did you come across the 400 number? I believe the T is now a 245 member dept. Whatever the problem in the past they seem to have gotten a lot better. I guess I'm interested in the turnover rate because of selfish reasons. I figure the more people who don't want the job the better my chances of getting it.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Proud american don't listen to some of these people on here, granted take what you can get but only a fool goes in blind.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Remember ProudAmerican!

Do not!!! I repeat do not!!!! make any "Wheres' Waldo" jokes :pc: :eek:nfire: :monkeyea: :monkeyea: :monkeyea: :monkeyea: :kiss: :wiltedro:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Macop";p="63390 said:
Proud american don't listen to some of these people on here, granted take what you can get but only a fool goes in blind.
Proud American don't listen to Macop, he is off his meds again!

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trust me! I would have no qualms joining the Transit Police if they made me an offer. I'd work there for free if they'd let me. The experience alone would go a long way.

Right now I'm a bit nervous. I've had my Oral board interview over 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything since. They plan on launching an academy by mid May.

I spoke with an officer who used to work in their BI unit. He told me they would not have scheduled me for an Oral board if they didn't plan on hiring me. Hopefully no news is good news. :D

·
1,334 Posts
Good luck with the hiring process and definately take it if the oppurtunity comes up. The MBTA Police Academy has a reputation as being one of the most top notch acadamies in the state. No matter where you go there will be negativity from your co-workers, big or small department, it does not matter. The social or internal bs is the worst. Just go in, work your shift, take pride in your work, stay positive, and make it the best experience for yourself. Just my two cents.

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
popo";p="63267 said:
Actually you can't transfer, Chief Carter refuses to sign any transfer papers. You can quit and try to get a job somewhere else within 5 years as provided under civil service.
Not to get off topic, but if you quit a civil service job, isn't the five years the time period where you can get your old job back, verses going to another department? That was my impression.

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
The MPTC states that if you're out of law enforcement for more than five years you have to attend the academy again. Eeeeks! :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the Transit Police academy starts on Monday May 16th?
I think they are putting on 17 recruits.
When is the next academy class?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.