Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boston Globe, 12-14-03

Fourteen college criminal justice programs have been authorized to enroll police next year under the state's stricter new standards for the controversial police bonus program known as the Quinn Bill.

The state Board of Higher Education granted approval this week to 14 of the 48 programs that applied for recognition earlier this year. Another 14 programs that met most standards were given until June to complete their compliance. A dozen more asked for additional time and will be reviewed by the board in February.

The 30-year-old Quinn Bill gives pay raises to police officers who earn criminal justice degrees, and came under fire from critics who said police did little classroom work to earn bonuses. New standards adopted early this year eliminated the practice of giving credit for military experience, limited student-faculty ratios in the programs, and mandated that most faculty members have doctoral degrees in criminal justice.

Almost half of the 80 programs that once enrolled police chose not to seek approval under the new rules, a board spokeswoman said.

Programs approved are at UMass-Lowell, UMass-Boston, Norwich University, Endicott College, Northeastern University, American International College, and six community colleges: Bunker Hill, Massachusetts Bay, Quinsigamond, Mount Wachusett, Springfield Technical, and Northern Essex.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Here is the list of approved schools and the degrees
American International College - BS
Bunker Hill - AS
Endicott College- BS
Mass Bay -AS
Mount Wachusetts - AS
Northeastern Univ - BS & MS
Northern Essex Comm College - AS
Norwich Univ - BA
Quinsigamond - AS
Springfield Tech - AS
UMASS Boston BA
UMASS Lowell - BS

The following 14 programs have been recommended for deferral. They need to be in compliance by june 1,2004. These programs meet or exceed the majority of the quality standards and have provided credible evidence that they will be in compliance with all standards by 6/1/2004.
American International - MS
Anna Maria BS/MS
Berkshire Comm - AS
Bristol Comm - AS
Curry COllege - BA and MA
Dean College - AS
Greenfield CC - AS
Holyoke CC - AS
MAssasoit CC- AS
Middlesex CC- AS
Roger WIlliams Univ - MA

These are the questionable ones that needed extensions.
Bridgewater State - BS & MS
Cape Cod CC - AS
Fitchburg State -BS & MS
North Shore CC - AS
Quincy COllege - AS
Salem State - BS
Western New England - BS in CJ,MS in CJ, BS in Law Enforcement
Westfield State - MS and BS
Worcester State - BS

Anyone who is already enrolled in the program is all set as far as I heard but as of Jan 1,2004 only those that meet or will meet will be eligible. Hope this helps.

·
1,952 Posts
H50 said:
Mass Bay -AS
As in Mass Bay Comm College???

Good god that was the safety school for the last person in my class for cryin out loud!!

And just out of curiosity. Do they accept out of state schools like John Jay? I mean, it's only rated the best in the county and compared to MBCC....uuhhhh yea we all know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a BS from UML in 01. I am going to grad school there in January. I thought they were accredited for a MA Degree. Christ, their admissions policy for the MA is awful..... GRE's and all...

·
1,952 Posts
Amherst and Dartmouth dont have CJ, or at least when I was applying they didnt

And I didn't really go out researching where all the colleges where, I just guessed that they were all in MA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Umass Amherst doesn't have a CJ major, but they do have a Criminal Justice Program as a concentration for Sociology. It's suppose to provide a certificate and letter describing the program. Online courses are also offered for it, last year it stated it was approved for the Quinn Bill.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How does this list affect benefits from other degree programs? I thought the Quinn Bill was supposed to give benefits for law degrees and only a few of the schools listed offer a Juris Doctor.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My understanding is that MA and JD degrees are 25% right now. Since all JD programs in MA are certified and you need to pass BAR exam then they more than meet the requirement. Sociology degrees with concentration in Criminology, as was the case at Bridgewater State years ago do not meet the Quinn Bill. Degree must be in Criminal Justice or Law Enforcement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any one now about Boston Universecity on-line degree program. Offer a masters degree in only 1 1/2 yrs. Twice as much as Anna
maria near me, but looks good on a diploma.

G

·
I looked into the BU grad program. They have customer service reps from Canada try to woo you into the program, without mentioning tuition etc.... I was just about ready to enroll untill I found out the tuition was astronomically too high. Also, they called me constantly and flooded my inbox with emails.

Considering that BU allows shitbag cons to receive degrees for free while in the can and I have to bust my ass working to payoff student loans - I told them I wasn't interested. They asked why, I told them just exactly what I wrote above! THE PRICE ISN'T RIGHT!

G

·
And another thing.....

I know a ton of people going to Western New England College thinking that their degree will go to the dogs now. What's the deal with that school?

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
Magnum,

Spoke with a friend of mine last night who is a long time WNEC instructor (professor emeritus?). His words: "Not to worry. We're working on it." On that advice, I haven't pulled by WNEC B.S. and M.S. off the wall yet to use them to heat my house. If you're in their program now, I would check with the school, although I'm sure they'll be slow to sound the panic alarm for fear of losing all that tuition revenue. They are probably one of the schools that was mentioned in the Glob article as having filed for an extension.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
j809 said:
The following 14 programs have been recommended for deferral. They need to be in compliance by june 1,2004. These programs meet or exceed the majority of the quality standards and have provided credible evidence that they will be in compliance with all standards by 6/1/2004.
American International - MS
Anna Maria BS/MS
Berkshire Comm - AS
Bristol Comm - AS
Curry COllege - BA and MA
Dean College - AS
Greenfield CC - AS
Holyoke CC - AS
MAssasoit CC- AS
Middlesex CC- AS
Roger WIlliams Univ - MA

These are the questionable ones that needed extensions.
Bridgewater State - BS & MS
Cape Cod CC - AS
Fitchburg State -BS & MS
North Shore CC - AS
Quincy COllege - AS
Salem State - BS
Western New England - BS in CJ,MS in CJ, BS in Law Enforcement
Westfield State - MS and BS
Worcester State - BS

Anyone who is already enrolled in the program is all set as far as I heard but as of Jan 1,2004 only those that meet or will meet will be eligible. Hope this helps.
So whatever happened with these schools? Are they all set, errr...???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts