Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mikey,
I have never taking the APCO, but you should also look into EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch). I was told this was to be required of all dispatchers for all cities and towns by the state. I myself am looking into this. Any other dispatchers out there take this?

·
Registered
447 Posts
PJM,

EMD is NOT required by the state. There are a lot of cities and towns that do EMD and most of them use Priority Dispatches EMD, NOT APCO.

The only thing about mentioned about EMD is in the Office of Emergency Services (OEMS) 2000 Protocols and all that says i that dispatch centers that take ems calls and dispatch emt's/ambulance should be EMD. It is not mandatory YET.

As for APCO online course, I have never taken them. I have taken other public safety courses online and they are pretty good. I do know some people that have taken APCO courses and APCO Institute classes online and they like them. It is more of a self pace self learning style then get it done and know it in 3 days.

remember that APCO is holding an APCO Communications INstructor course in August in Belchertown MA.

I will re post it in this topic area even though it is already posted under training.

Jeremie

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mikey,

There will be on via the 5 week academy in Sept or Oct. You will need to have a current Healthcare Provider CPR card to attend. This is a NAED EMD Class. I think with the state offering this class for free quite a lot during the year you will see the APCO and Power Phone one go away (why pay for one when the other is free).

Here is the link to the EMD course.

http://www.emergencydispatch.org/

http://www.medicalpriority.com/main.html

Jeremie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mikey, I wouldn't spend your personal money on an EMD class. The agency that hires you will cover that for you. However, if you have that kind of money to spend I would highly recommend that you take some college classes through JSU. (Jacksonville State University) In conjunction with APCO they are providing a Bachelors in Emergency Management with a Minor in Public Safety Communications. I'm currently enrolled in that program and the classes are great. All of them are on line. If you don't want to do that, many Community Colleges are offering programs in Public Safety Communications. Even getting a certificate of completion in a program like that will look really good on a resume.

·
Registered
334 Posts
MrJim911 said:
Mikey, I wouldn't spend your personal money on an EMD class. The agency that hires you will cover that for you. However, if you have that kind of money to spend I would highly recommend that you take some college classes through JSU. (Jacksonville State University) In conjunction with APCO they are providing a Bachelors in Emergency Management with a Minor in Public Safety Communications. I'm currently enrolled in that program and the classes are great. All of them are on line. If you don't want to do that, many Community Colleges are offering programs in Public Safety Communications. Even getting a certificate of completion in a program like that will look really good on a resume.
MrJim911,

Would I be correct in assuming (I know, I know! I shouldn't do that, because, when you assume you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me") that this is an on line or distance learning degree program? JSU is kind of a long commute for me ;-) What's the tuition like? Non- degree programs, options for individual programs or certificates? Could you maybe share a little more info - this sounds beneficial to several people around here.

-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, so long as its an online course, I'll check that out. I was hoping that SETB would put a dispatch class through over the summer, since FT college class schedule in fall and spring won't let me do that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
EMD runs about $400ish last I checked, so if you can hold out until a department will send you (and pay for you to sit there, as well), it might be a better investment.

My department sent me, as EMD is mandatory in our communications center. All medical calls must follow the cards; we do use all of the features (I could only imagine the firefighters' faces if I gave out "Rescue 1, you have a Thirteen-Delta-Two"), but it does cover our ass by giving as many pre-arrival instructions as possible, as well as determining if we need to start ALS.

If you are a Mass EMT, paying your own may is not a bad investment -- the 24 CEUs come in handy!!

-Mike

·
Registered
447 Posts
The online college is what I was mentioninng in one of my recent posts here. For all the information on this go to

http://www.jsu.edu/depart/iep/ap_des.html

In Massachusetts there are still many more like most agencies that will not pay for any training outside of NCIC and the 2 days E911 course. With the state being in a financial down fall most places will be looking to hire only people that already have training. In my case I had to go and find all the training myslef and pay for it but this was before the APCO College which I hope to start taking classes in this fall. Sucks but the reality.

There are even people in Law Enforcement in MA that had to pay for the full time police academy themselves so they could get on a dept full time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry for the late response.

I just paid $444 per class. I'm out of state and they are all on-line.

Leadog - They do offer a Certificate of completion. I forget though what the certificate is for exactly. They also offer just an AA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.