Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on the board is from Charlton, I was wondering what my chances are to getting on their as a reserve and what the chances are that they would sponsor me. I spoke with a friend and advised that the cheif there is great and will sponsor a lot of people. Anyone have any input on this dept?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I know sometime ago they advertised for 2 "Auxiliary Police Officer" openings and got lots of applications. I applied and never got a call or letter - and I have a strong background.... that's ok though, I got hired as a PAID Part-time patrolman elsewhere... :lol: I heard they are a great department. Lots of details as well.

Just for the Auxiliary position they wanted folks with a related background and training, so apparently they are a "high speed" dept.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah knew they were looking for 2 AUX positions a while ago and they were filled, I like the town a lot and would love to work there, but does anyone know if any surrouding towns are hiring or will sponsor me?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hello all re: charlton p.d. I have been an aux. there for past 4 year and is can be great. I know the chief posted two openings a while back; but he hired about 6-7 guys to expand the roster. Why, dont know. Why he hired the ones he did, who knows why chiefs hire the people they do. All but one I never heard of, so they are unknown to most of the guys here.The one is the retired Dudley Chief, William Prout. Working there is tough. First of all, the full-timers did not like the idea of aux's, and most still dont. Dont bother most of them. Some have warmed up, but as far as doing police work,(ride alongs, etc...); the full-timers dont want u near them, except for select few. The chief is only guy who keeps the unit there. He is more than willing to help out guys to get started. Sponsored many for the reserve/intermittent academy; but for 99% that is as far as he's goes. Most do it for details, which can be few and far between. Full-timers eat them up, and we get the left-overs. With many more new hires, who knows how many u get, or at all this year. Only stipulation on the job is volunteer time. so many hours per year to be eligible for details and stay on the unit. Private details,(mass hway, verizon, mass electric, etc..); is the part of the job u get paid for. That is what helps off set the cost of weapon, duty gear and clothes which u must provide.
Southbridge has an aux unit as well. from what i hear, same type of structure. They however get to do a lot more police type work. Certain patrols like building, cemetary checks. But i have also heard thier full-timers do not treat thier auxs any better than here. But it is hear-say. Hope this sums it up. Any questions, let me know

1 - 4 of 4 Posts