Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scheduled to go in January, I'm just wondering if they're doing that useless "Incident Command" training again for the third year in a row.

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
Delta, According to James Scott the Program Director for Homeland Security training thru the M.P.T.C. ICS -200 Will be taught at most of the In-Service programs this year. 200 includes a few table top exercises and planning sessions. Have fun!

·
1,334 Posts
I'll be at in-service next week at the Boylston Academy. To my horror there are three days of incident command scheduled. Pretty bad when CPR/First Aid is the highlight of the week. If I am not still sleeping for weeks afterwards I will post on how it is (or isn't). Three days of "how to talk/act like a fire fighter" basically. Lets all remember, FEMA does not want us talking in codes anymore, there are not too many acronyms in this "ICS" training.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you guys(police officers) have to take the NIMS training too? I just took it a few weeks back and be prepared to sleep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
popo said:
What, $125K base with Master's Degree. Take it!! :NO:
I'd be stuck on last-halfs for the foreseeable future, and I told my wife she wouldn't want to be married to the person I'd become if I had to work that shift.

Any patrolman on my job at top-step with a Master's degree that doesn't come close to 100K every year is either lazy, or avoids OT/details like the plague.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
frank said:
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=51&content=3423

I think there's a newer version of that manual though (that is, if anyone cares)...
Great....more useless crap that we'll never use.

I'm really getting tired of paying my own way for useful training like the Calibre Press Street Survival Seminars. When is the state going to wake-up, and provide some real-life training that we can actually apply on the street??

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
The National Incident Management System (N.I.M.S.) is a vaporware program that will eventually mandate even what generator you can buy to handle a long term incident. They will tell you what, where, and how much. The class is an 8 hour block that the nuts and bolts can be taught in two hours. As an instructor, It is mind numbing to have to teach and/or read through the course material.

Delta, I wasn't suggesting that you try to get promoted, just that the nonsense the promotional books spew, is worlds better than going to a N.I.M.S. class.

P.S. Lt. Santoro hasn't sent you to N.I.M.S. training yet? Good thing I'm not a rat. Cause you'd be on the N.I.M.S. fast track if he ever found out. The whole dept. has to be trained in it in order to recieve ANY federal money after Fiscal 06. Be advised.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to the day in-service in August. A lot of NIMS. It did drag badly after a while but the instructors were honest with us explaining they need to document a certain amount of training hours in order to qualify for federal grant money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
danforth said:
I went to the day in-service in August. A lot of NIMS. It did drag badly after a while but the instructors were honest with us explaining they need to document a certain amount of training hours in order to qualify for federal grant money.
I have yet to see any federal grant money benefit me in any way. It always goes towards cookouts for criminals, or other equally useless, feel-good bullshit.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Delta784 said:
I have yet to see any federal grant money benefit me in any way. It always goes towards cookouts for criminals, or other equally useless, feel-good bullshit.
Come On Now Delta,
They gave EOPS a nice wide screen flat television so they could watch and view the next terrorist attack closer on television:icon_hum: Oh ya they gave assault weapons to State Troopers at the airport so that they can shoot down planes I guess:rock:

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
frapmpd24 said:
I'll be at in-service next week at the Boylston Academy. To my horror there are three days of incident command scheduled. Pretty bad when CPR/First Aid is the highlight of the week. If I am not still sleeping for weeks afterwards I will post on how it is (or isn't). Three days of "how to talk/act like a fire fighter" basically. Lets all remember, FEMA does not want us talking in codes anymore, there are not too many acronyms in this "ICS" training.
Speaking as one of the CPR/First Responder instructors it is a unique change of pace to have our segment of inservice be the highlight of the week.:uc:

(frapmpd24 see you thurs pm for CPR)

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Well how was the inservice at Boylston.??????

·
1,334 Posts
texdep said:
Well how was the inservice at Boylston.??????
Good instruction, I like the addition of Jeopardy in the beginning, have to keep it interesting. Hey, I even answered the Paramedic question right... only for 100 points, which like the Drew Carey show "Who's Line is it Anyway"... don't really matter. Plus your real life example, speaks for itself and glad to see everything turned out alright.

Although the videos after lunch on a full stomach... :sleep: . I wonder why they have not made some geared more toward law enforcement instead of a hospital setting.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
I hear ya but, the videos are better then hearing me talk after lunch.

The videos are by the American Heart Association and Cops were not the major audiance.

However, the Regional AHA committee (which I'm a member of) has a group working on a AED video with a cops only focus. That's about 5-6 months out so next years in-service should have it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts