Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the board. I have been a reserve in Florida since 2001 and I may be relocating to Mass. I read through many of the posts and threads and came across several possible Aux. departments that would interest me. Somerville is one of them.

Here in Florida a volunteer is either an Auxiliary or a Reserve. Our Aux's attend a small 200+ hour academy, carry the same equipment as full-times but cannot ride solo or make arrests solo. I attended a police academy and passed the state exam. If I have to move to Mass. I am hoping to find an Auxiliary position that is not just about OC and batons.

Anyone with current info on this department (or others) such as equipment, duties, etc. is appreciated. I read a post back in 2005 stating that after 1 year an Aux. Officer may be able to carry a firearm for Somerville. What about now?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is ok, I prefer that anyhow. In Florida I ride solo so I have court and depos to attend to if I make arrests or write citations. As I volunteer I would rather be an Auxiliary, just not an unarmed uniformed auxiliary.

Jeff

·
1,952 Posts
Here is their current website: http://www.sapdonline.com/

They are uniformed and you always have a partner. You are unarmed during "probation" but are with someone that is. After a year, it is a determination of the supervisors etc if you can carry a firearm. That is, unless they changed their policies in the last 4 years...

You do, I think, 3 nights a week, per month and a few meetings/training/inspections a year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts