Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon!

My boyfriend is officially getting out of the marines in a few days and is moving back up to the Plymouth, Ma area within a week. He's looking for a job in the security field. He's planning on something full time for about 6 months before he starts school and then taking the civil service test as well.

If anyone knows of any companies that are hiring within the month of October of 2008, please let me know!

Thank you!

·
Registered
354 Posts
tell him to go to the Jordan Hospital in Plymouth and check the security dept there to see if they are hiring. Also the area stores also have loss prevention in them usually the bigger stores. The big companies like Securatas, and Allied Barton have jobs around the area. Tell him to check those out too. Any other help or information you can pm me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember applying to Securitas about a month ago, got a phone call the next day, had an interview 2 days later. Interview went good and said he would be more than happy to hire me when a full-time position opens up. Yeah, still waiting:rolleyes:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Research a company called MVM, I believe their district office is in NH somewhere. I believe they have all the FPS contracts in this region. The guards in my building (not in MA) make $20+ an hour, are very squared away, most have at least a part-time academy plus military experience, and two of them have gone on to Customs in the last few months. If I were to ever recommend any company, it would be those guys, MVM. I know they had some Boston area FPS contracts as of about a year ago, but I haven't been in that area lately.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Somewhat off topic but I was in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and I was watching their security guy play with the security cameras and I'll be damned those things are cool. He was zooming right into peoples hands and watching them when they pick something up and every move they did afterwords.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Security Companies are a revolving door and they dont pay shit.

Tell him to look on USAJOBS.COM and try to get a Federal gig. I have friends who are vets, who are still waiting to get hired from the test a year ago. Too many people not enough spots, now even less with 3 less academies to put them through.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Speaking of USAJOBS.COM, ICE finally posted the new positions at midnight; some should be non-competitive/open to the public. If you have any questions, PM me, as most of the new fresh talent is coming to assist my office (can't wait!!)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Negative, the last round of open applications for those ended earlier this month. I would not expect more until March of next year, of course, the new fiscal year begins tomorrow, so anything could happen.

If you applied to FPS within the last open period, expect a call soon, the process is being expedited according to my sources.

G

·
If he's only looking to work six months or so, I wouldn't recommend he apply to one of the "high end" jobs like nuke security or a federal contract unless he can stay part-time when he starts school. No sense in burning bridges or creating bad feelings by leaving in less than a year from a nice job.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Negative, the last round of open applications for those ended earlier this month. I would not expect more until March of next year, of course, the new fiscal year begins tomorrow, so anything could happen.

If you applied to FPS within the last open period, expect a call soon, the process is being expedited according to my sources.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info.

·
Banned
159 Posts
I have worked for South Shore Security in the past. Small company, nice guys, always looking for new people. They have a lot of accounts in and around Boston.

Currently with AlliedBarton. Not a bad company, though balancing school with their schedule has been very tough. Not a ton of flexibility. Good pay though.

Neither company has the highest standards for basic security officers (many that I've met in both companies can't speak English), so an ex-marine can get in easy. I am sure he could move up the chain fast.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Well if its anything like where I work, I wouldnt say " easy job "...I dont want to create another back and forth with these comments but I had 4 months of training including 160 hrs at Sig Arms before I was signed off..The firearms quals are pretty hard and you have to pass, once you get on your right decent money for what you do....long hrs, mandated overtime, all in all thankful to even have a job right now..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts