Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a law enforcement technology magazine that many west coast police departments have obtained thermal imaging cameras through federal grants. The cameras are similar to FLIR and the portable heat detecting units that many fire departments have. It helps police to quickly find culprits that flee into the woods, alzheimers patients, lost children or hikers, measure fresh skid marks at serious accident scenes, etc... supposedly much more effective than K9's - do you know of any New England police departments that have these units ? where i work each of the 8 fire stations have one but we don't - just curious what police departments have them around here ...

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
EVERY fire department in the state of massachusetts has at least one TIC. Many departments now a days have 2 or 3. Alot of police departments borrow them for the mission.

The main reason is cost. TIC's cost 10-20 thousand a piece. I see it being more economical for the police to borrow it from the fire dept. that use's it all the time and keep it maintained and charged than have the police use it once every so often and to have a 20k piece of equipment sitting in the station or a supervisors car all the time.

IMO

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
Newton has a Raytheon unit on one of their cruisers. I don't know what cruiser# or what section it works in but i see it every now and then.

My friend used to work at FLIR and he showed me alot of the kind of stuff that they have. They are Located in Billerica. It's pretty amazing technology.

Scott :pc:

·
1,334 Posts
The department I work for does not have them in the cruisers, but If needed we have the fire department dispatched. The imager has ended a few foot pursuits so it has been useful when called for.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I saw some thermals being used in an all black suburban on Wed. night. They were looking into the always dark Fenway right across from Simmons College. Seems like it worked a lot faster than sending a car through with searchlights.

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
North Andover used to have one mounted on the roof of a cruiser. I dont know what happened to it. Methuen PD has/had a hand held unit similar to the FD

·
Registered
74 Posts
We are using a FLIR Systems unit that looks like a Streamlight flashlight.
It has a small screen mounted to where the normal lighthead would be. I've used it a couple times and to tell you the truth, I was not impressed. It is much easier to carry than a Bullard, Scott or Carins model that the big red trucks use, but I think those units outshine this one by a long shot; screens are bigger, easier to see, ect.

As for how we received this item... tax break for FLIR under a economic growth area contract with the Town.

·
Registered
689 Posts
DoD here just purchased a 3 million dollar system. It has two TI within the system. it's awesome. If you want to pm me I can give you the contact person info. He's our Force Protection/Anti-terrorism guru.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts