Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By LARA JAKES JORDAN and DAVID DISHNEAU, Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON - A top U.S. biodefense researcher apparently committed suicide just as the Justice Department was about to file criminal charges against him in the anthrax mailings that traumatized the nation in the weeks following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to a published report.
The scientist, Bruce E. Ivins, 62, who worked for the past 18 years at the government's biodefense labs at Fort Detrick, Md., had been told about the impending prosecution, the Los Angeles Times reported for Friday editions. The laboratory has been at the center of the FBI's investigation of the anthrax attacks, which killed five people.
Ivins died Tuesday at Frederick Memorial Hospital in Maryland. The Times, quoting an unidentified colleague, said the scientist had taken a massive dose of a prescription Tylenol mixed with codeine.
Tom Ivins, a brother of the scientist, told The Associated Press that another of his brothers, Charles, told him Bruce had committed suicide.
A woman who answered the phone at Charles Ivins' home in Etowah, N.C., refused to wake him and declined to comment on his death. "This is a grieving time," she said.
A woman who answered the phone at Bruce Ivins' home in Frederick declined to comment.
Justice Department spokesman Peter Carr and FBI Assistant Director John Miller declined to comment on the report.
Henry S. Heine, a scientist who had worked with Ivins on inhalation anthrax research at Fort Detrick, said he and others on their team have testified before a federal grand jury in Washington that has been investigating the anthrax mailings for more than a year.
Heine declined to comment on Ivins' death.
Norman Covert, a retired Fort Detrick spokesman who served with Ivins on an animal-care and protocol committee, said Ivins was "a very intent guy" at their meetings.
Ivins was the co-author of numerous anthrax studies, including one on a treatment for inhalation anthrax published in the July 7 issue of the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
Just last month, the government exonerated another scientist at the Fort Detrick lab, Steven Hatfill, who had been identified by the FBI as a "person of interest" in the anthrax attacks. The government paid Hatfill $5.82 million to settle a lawsuit he filed against the Justice Department in which he claimed the department violated his privacy rights by speaking with reporters about the case.
The Times said federal investigators moved away from Hatfill and concluded Ivins was the culprit after FBI Director Robert Mueller changed leadership of the investigation in 2006. The new investigators instructed agents to re-examine leads and reconsider potential suspects. In the meantime, investigators made progress in analyzing anthrax powder recovered from letters addressed to two U.S. senators, according to the report.
Besides the five deaths, 17 people were sickened by anthrax that was mailed to lawmakers on Capitol Hill and members of the news media in New York and Florida just weeks after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The victims included postal workers and others who came into contact with the anthrax.
In the six months following the anthrax mailings, Ivins conducted unauthorized testing for anthrax spores outside containment areas at USAMRIID - the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick - and found some, according to an internal report by the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, which oversees the lab.
In December 2001, after conducting tests triggered by a technician's fears that she had been exposed, Ivins found evidence of anthrax and decontaminated the woman's desk, computer, keypad and monitor, but didn't notify his superiors, according to the report.
The report says Ivins performed more unauthorized sampling on April 15, 2002, and found anthrax spores in his office, in a passbox used for moving materials in and out of labs, and in a room where male workers changed from civilian clothing into laboratory garb.

Ivins told Army investigators he conducted unauthorized tests because he was worried that the powdered anthrax in letters that had been sent to USAMRIID for analysis might not have been adequately contained.
In January 2002, the FBI doubled the reward for helping solve the case to $2.5 million, and by June officials said the agency was scrutinizing 20 to 30 scientists who might have had the knowledge and opportunity to send the anthrax letters.
After the government's settlement with Hatfill was announced in late June, Ivins started showing signs of strain, the Times said. It quoted a longtime colleague as saying Ivins was being treated for depression and indicated to a therapist that he was considering suicide. Family members and local police escorted Ivins away from the Army lab, and his access to sensitive areas was curtailed, the colleague told the newspaper. He said Ivins was facing a forced retirement in September.
The colleague declined to be identified out of concern that he would be harassed by the FBI, the report said.
Ivins was one of the nation's leading biodefense researchers.
In 2003, Ivins and two of his colleagues at the USAMRIID received the highest honor given to Defense Department civilian employees for helping solve technical problems in the manufacture of anthrax vaccine.
In 1997, U.S. military personnel began receiving the vaccine to protect against a possible biological attack. Within months, a number of vaccine lots failed a potency test required by federal regulators, causing a shortage of vaccine and eventually halting the immunization program. The USAMRIID team's work led to the reapproval of the vaccine for human use.
The Times said Ivins was the son of a Princeton-educated pharmacist who was born and raised in Lebanon, Ohio. He received undergraduate and graduate degrees, including a Ph.D. in microbiology, from the University of Cincinnati. He and his wife, Diane, owned a home just outside the main gate to Fort Detrick.

Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Anthrax suspect commits suicide

US anthrax suspect kills self: report

4 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AFP) - A US government scientist who helped law enforcement search for the 2001 anthrax killer has apparently committed suicide just as he was about to be charged with the attacks, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.
Bruce Ivins, 62, had not been publicly named as a suspect in the case of anthrax-laced letters sent to officials and high-profile journalists that sparked widespread fear in the wake of the September 11 attacks.
But the Times reported that Ivins had been informed of "impending prosecution" in connection with the case, citing sources familiar with the FBI investigation.
The FBI had no immediate comment.
"We are not making any official comment or statement at this time," Debbie Weierman, spokeswoman for the FBI's Washington field office, told AFP.
Five people died after handling the tainted letters in the deadliest bio-terrorism attack in US history.
Ivins worked for 18 years the US biodefense research laboratories at Fort Detrick, Maryland, preparing anthrax formulations used in vaccine experiments, the daily said.
He even helped the Federal Bureau of Investigation analyze one of the envelopes filled with anthrax spores sent to a US senator's office in Washington.
His death, with no mention of suicide, was announced to his former colleagues in an email, the Times reported.
"People here are pretty shook up about it," said Caree Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the agency where he worked.
A friend told the Times Ivins died of an overdose of prescription Tylenol mixed with codeine and a former coworker said he had been treated for depression and had threatened suicide.
Ivins's death comes a month after the government paid a former "person of interest" in the case, Steven Hatfill, almost six million dollars in a settlement over the FBI's public pursuit of him.
Soon after the settlement, Ivins's access to sensitive areas at work were limited, the Times reported, adding that he was to be forced to retire in September.
One of his two brothers, Thomas Ivins, told the Times he was not surprised by the suicide.
"He buckled under the pressure from the federal government," Thomas Ivins said, adding that FBI agents came to Ohio last year to question him about his brother.
"I was questioned by the feds, and I sung like a canary" about Bruce Ivins' personality, Thomas Ivins said.
"He had in his mind that he was omnipotent."

FBI = Fuck up Basic Investigations
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.