Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scoured CH 140 of the MGLs and have not been able to find any provision that defines open carry as illegal in MA. I do not intend to, nor do I suggest, that anyone actually do this (other than on duty officers of course), however I am just looking for actual proof that it is in fact illegal. If anyone knows of a Chapter, Section or Case that addresses this I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your LTc warrants you to carry a concealed weapon, and I would assume your badge warrants you to brandish it. back me up here anyone, but that would be my understanding. That's why plainclothes keep their badge on their belts or around their necks. Here are some great references to answer ALL your MA ltc questions. I reccomend all to take a look.

http://www.montague.net/police/page4.html

www.goal.org

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The language in the LTC laws though say nothing about carrying concealed, other than a LTC B is not permitted to carry concealed.

Excerpt of MGL Ch 140 sec 131:

Chapter 140: Section 131 Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

[ Text applicable as provided by 1998, 180, Sec. 80.]

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

That is why I was looking for specific information that would be more explicit. thank you for the links though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is NOT illegal to open-carry, but in PRM you WILL get unwanted attention. This is NOT a gun-friendly state and when someone sees you with a gun and no badge readily visible, they WILL call the PD who will respond. This aggravates the PD and you "may" get a warning the first time, but subsequently the responding PD will likely contact your issuing authority and "suggest" that perhaps you are NOT a "suitable person" and your LTC may likely be revoked.

The above is precisely what transpired in a discussion that I had with Chief Ron Glidden and how (he tells me) he handles the average one call/week from The Factory Outlets in Lee, MA ("man with a gun" calls). I admit that I was a little surprised that it would cause a stir in the hinterlands of Western MA, but apparently so.

If you want to ask further, I suggest (if you are in Eastern MA) that you try to attend the MA Firearms Law Seminar (free, BR&P is picking up the tab as a public service) at Braintree R&P on Sunday, May 1st from 9AM to 12Noon where Chief Glidden will address these issues. See http://www.masscops.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7422 for more details on this event.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you LenS. I do plan on attending the seminar (assuming work is not an issue). As I said, I am sure that it would attract unwanted attention and in no way do i plan on carrying openly, just curious about PRM's wording of laws and the actual enforcemet of said laws.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts