Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a very interesting piece.

Beaudet ran the segment during last night's newscast. It had some excellent footage of the cell blocks, the TRT, and the cadets as well.

Some of the weapons seized were astonishing.
They had a spike that I tell you looked like a friggin railroad spike!

Knives, wires, razors, 4" bolts, it was horrifying to think of what could have happened to an officer on the block if one of those implements were used against them.

Seeing the cadets in action was cool! They interviewed one cadet who I tell you, had to be at least 48-50 years old.
THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR ME YET!! :D

Now, let's hope we see a shakedown soon at Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center & MCI - Cedar Junction. I'd LOVE to see that footage..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Related News Article From Boston.Com:

Corrections searches MCI-Concord for drugs, makeshift weapons
June 14, 2005

MILFORD, Mass. --A tactical response team searched MCI-Concord on Tuesday for makeshift weapons and drugs after contraband was discovered at the prison through random checks over the last two weeks.

The Department of Corrections said 100 members of the tactical response team and 44 recruits from the DOC Training Academy conducted the facility-wide search.

MCI-Concord is the reception center for all men coming into the state's prison system, so taking in men directly from courts or the street can make the facility more susceptible to inmates trying to smuggle contraband.

Officials said that over the last two weeks, eight makeshift weapons have been found during regular daily searches and five inmates have tested positive for controlled substances during random testing.

"These are serious incidents that require immediate action," Commissioner Kathleen Dennehy said in a statement.

DOC spokewoman Diane Wiffin said the sweep had turned up a few items but declined to elaborate until it was completed.

[hr:aa89a65315]

A few items?
Superintendent Peter Pepe, interviewed on the Fox25 Report had at least a dozen to 15 various weapons on display that were seized on Tuesdays shakedown. Is this Wiffin character an imbecile, or just trying to downplay the realism of how perilous working conditions really are in the DOC…
:?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kozmo, that sounds about right for the DOC. Down play everything. A "few" things turns into a make shift armory for inmates.

I missed that FOX 25 report. From what you said, it didn't sound anti CO. Glad to hear.

FYI, there is no age limit for starting the DOC.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GateKeeper";p="67060 said:
...I missed that FOX 25 report. From what you said, it didn't sound anti CO. Glad to hear.
No, Quite the contrary GK. The officers looked very professional and squared away.
Not too mention the cadets really appeared to know what they were doing.
A very positive reflection of the instructors at the academy.
They showed one IPS Officer giving a con a good looking over for contraband. Mouth, hair, sit in that chair that detects contraband, etc…
A really impressive piece, a plus to the officers of the department.

GateKeeper";p="67060 said:
FYI, there is no age limit for starting the DOC.
I know, its just at 40, the thoughts of starting over (career) from the bottom rung is intimidating, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it next exam go around.
Stay Safe Pal…KK

BTW: Keep those posts coming boys!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kozmo,
Excellent pay and benefits but take it from someone who worked 10 years in a high security DOC facility - it is painfully boring !!! Very long days watching inmates watch t.v, walk around, maybe play basketball... ho hum.. A C.O. nowadays needs to call in the therapists for virtually everything. Watching paint dry is more exciting. Very tedious and boring with an occasional, rare exception. As long as you treat the inmates with a modicum of respect, you are in very little danger - most of their beefs are with other inmates - statistics prove that big time. Most beefs that C.O's have are with other C.O.'s - unfortunate but true ..Most inmates want easy time - your pen, not your size or toughness, intimidates them. I did the job, I know first hand. By far, my safety has been jeapordized more often as a police officer. Being a middle aged guy will give you the maturity and life experience to make you very successful as a C O. It's the young guys that think they need to "prove themselves" who have a tough time being a C O.- Personally, I liked and respected most of the guys I worked with but found the job to be unchallenging - just my opinion from first hand experience. If you don't mind boredom , go for it - good money for what you do. Like most occupations, they try to put on a good "show" and look busy when a camera is filming. No different than the Cops show. (being a police officer is far more interesting though - it is not a controlled environment, you are usually alone and you often must act immediately without the option of consulting with therapists and supervisers( an objective opinion from someone who has done both jobs for many years.)( There are many full time police who were c.o's, very few c.o's who were full time police.. ). The bottom line is your interest - great money, benefits (if State DOC) and excruciating boredom or decent pay, benefits, freedom and frequent challenges as a cop. Self actualization is what it's all about Kozmo. Follow your dreams.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jasper";p="67077 said:
Kozmo,
Excellent pay and benefits but take it from someone who worked 10 years in a high security DOC facility - it is painfully boring !!! Very long days watching inmates watch t.v, walk around, maybe play basketball... ho hum.. A C.O. nowadays needs to call in the therapists for virtually everything. Watching paint dry is more exciting. Very tedious and boring with an occasional, rare exception. As long as you treat the inmates with a modicum of respect, you are in very little danger - most of their beefs are with other inmates - statistics prove that big time. Most beefs that C.O's have are with other C.O.'s - unfortunate but true ..Most inmates want easy time - your pen, not your size or toughness, intimidates them. I did the job, I know first hand. By far, my safety has been jeapordized more often as a police officer. Being a middle aged guy will give you the maturity and life experience to make you very successful as a C O. It's the young guys that think they need to "prove themselves" who have a tough time being a C O.- Personally, I liked and respected most of the guys I worked with but found the job to be unchallenging - just my opinion from first hand experience. If you don't mind boredom , go for it - good money for what you do. Like most occupations, they try to put on a good "show" and look busy when a camera is filming. No different than the Cops show. (being a police officer is far more interesting though - it is not a controlled environment, you are usually alone and you often must act immediately without the option of consulting with therapists and supervisers( an objective opinion from someone who has done both jobs for many years.)( There are many full time police who were c.o's, very few c.o's who were full time police.. ). The bottom line is your interest - great money, benefits (if State DOC) and excruciating boredom or decent pay, benefits, freedom and frequent challenges as a cop. Self actualization is what it's all about Kozmo. Follow your dreams.
Jasper,
It is like you said. It can be very boring but the bennies are pretty good. I work at a level six facility where did you work? Walpole? Sometimes we have to make quick decisions without guns or batons as you know. Sometimes we do have time to have someone try to talk them into compling. It is not as controlled as you know having worked high security. In fact it can be very dangerous even deadly. In seven years I have seen numerous stabbings, assaults on staff and a murder. As far as I am concerned ,I have come to realize that this is it for me. To old to do anything else (37). I like the people I work with and even though I get pissed off at the bull%$^# I like the job in general. I have seen allot of decent people get hoodwinked.
Koz,
It is not unusual to see recruits shake a institution down. In fact it is part of the academy at least one shake down. I noticed the recruits in Kakis it reminded me of my classes shake down at Walpole. They must be in the early weeks because they will get issued blues after three weeks. They ussually don't go to institutions until after they are issued BDUS. So they blend in with officers and don't have to hear the grief and cat calls myself and others that post here did.We were not allowed to wear the uniform until graduation day. Anyway got to run see you guys later.JGH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.