Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to keep up with the MPTC’s zoom meetings, confusing documents, rumors and such- however this one has never come up.. for Full Time Officers who work at a State Hospital for the Dept Mental Health and don’t drive cruisers or carry firearms- if they qualify for the Post Adademy will they be required to complete the week of firearms & week of evoc? I understand the police reform wants everyone to be trained the same, but can’t imagine anyone going through all the extra work to get certified to make $16/hour just to watch patients and occasionally serve legal papers..

·
Registered
378 Posts
Been trying to keep up with the MPTC’s zoom meetings, confusing documents, rumors and such- however this one has never come up.. for Full Time Officers who work at a State Hospital for the Dept Mental Health and don’t drive cruisers or carry firearms- if they qualify for the Post Adademy will they be required to complete the week of firearms & week of evoc? I understand the police reform wants everyone to be trained the same, but can’t imagine anyone going through all the extra work to get certified to make $16/hour just to watch patients and occasionally serve legal papers..
Yes, you’ll either be POST-certified (including firearms and EVOC), or you won’t be POST-certified.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So a chief would theoretically have to obtain a cruiser and firearm just to send his officers to the Bridge?
he could solicit MPTC for a hardship for the cruiser. Supposedly there are spares.

Firearm? Not sure how that would work… If DMH is aware of the POST / Bridge Academy issue, they should be trying to figure out how to proceed. Unless they intend on eliminating the PD?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just show up, tell them you identify as a cruiser, make woowoo noises, pass class.
Tell them you carry less lethal, make Pewpew noises with index finger extended, hint: use left hand as they can’t touch you for being handicapped, pass class.
If they say ”No”, sue them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he could solicit MPTC for a hardship for the cruiser. Supposedly there are spares.

Firearm? Not sure how that would work… If DMH is aware of the POST / Bridge Academy issue, they should be trying to figure out how to proceed. Unless they intend on eliminating the PD?
Just show up, tell them you identify as a cruiser, make woowoo noises, pass class.
If they say no, sue them.
Haha isn’t that the way in 2021…

·
Registered
378 Posts
So a chief would theoretically have to obtain a cruiser and firearm just to send his officers to the Bridge?
Yes, the same as they did before. Several agencies that are/were unarmed sent people to the FT academy (Boston School Police for example), and they still had to pass firearms.

I was at training last week at the MPTC in Randolph, and the new MPTC director spoke. Starting in 2022, the MPTC will have their own cruisers assigned to each academy, in case an agency would be strapped if they had to have a cruiser dedicated to EVOC.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tell them you carry less lethal, make Pewpew noises with index finger extended, hint: use left hand as they can’t touch you for being handicapped, pass class.
If they say ”No”, sue them.
That's pretty much what I do daily, They had me go speak to a counselor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts