Amtrak Police? | Page 3 | MassCops

Amtrak Police?

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by 6083, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Blivid316

Blivid316 MassCops Member

Hahahaha yeah I've done a few of those. Not too many thankfully.

New hires are rare due to the fact that the powers at be are OK with being short staffed and having 2 patrolman on a shift. Realistically, we should have 3-4 patrolman plus 1-2 k-9s. When we ride trains(short distance), we leave no one to handle our calls (if/when we get some). Mentality of stupidvisors is let the locals handle it if something comes up. That sucks because then what is the point of us? Once some of these sups go, I think things will change for the better, at least a little bit. I mean they have to right?
    We are indeed "Quasi-federal" but what's it matter? we get rail road retirement (though our union is supposedly fighting for federal leo retirement) and we dont qualify under h.r. 218 (yet). Amtrak doesnt want us but congress says they have to keep us (we loose them money). Amtrak makes money and plunty of it BUT it doesnt cover the cost of running a rail road (so you're right they are always in the red or break even but they have debt like any one else so they loose $). 100% funded by us, the american tax payer.
    How does anyone get on? much like any other PD. Sign up and take the test. It is a bit different, however, in that you have to send your resume to Amtrak human resources and not the PD itself. If one qualifies for the test (dont ask what the qualifications are because if you have a pulse, you have a shot), you'll be notified of a test date whenever it is the pd tests. from there, it is like any other process. of course it pays to know someone, but you dont have to. I didnt know anyone when I took the job. When I got hired in 07, they wanted to hire 12 guys but only 3 accepted the job as the starting salary was so low. Now that we got the raise, I think it is a bit more sought after. It is definitely easier to get hired at amtrak then say usss or capital pd etc. one thing we dont have yet, but when stuff gets straightend out in the union, is a PAT. The new hires are going to have to take it prob. within the next 6-12 months. Trust me, the standards arent even as bad as ma doc. pretty easy.
    Right now, the brass is conducting interviews but good luck to them as we are not hiring soon. just getting a list of candidates ready to go. I am sure they'll wait around forever for the apd to come-a-callin' haaaaaaaaaaaa right.
    Even tho it says they are not hring in boston, submit your resume and you'll get a letter in the mail stating if you qualify to take the test. Much like any other fed job, it is a long process. Mine from test-hire date was over 2 years.

2. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

At least they ride the trains. I here them all the time on the scanner. However that leaves busy rail stations uncovered. What I don't understand is at Amtrak PD HQ in Philadelphia 30th Street Station. I have been there before. It is like an Amtrak PD convention. More Sgts on duty then you can count. Then in NYC it seems to be less officers like in Boston.

3. 6083

6083 New Member

Any preference given to vets/disabled vets? also any other info would be helpful, this sounds like it would be right up my alley, especially if boston could happen

4. Blivid316

Yeah in Philly there is a lot of brass. They have quite a few cpt's and LT's and stuff. I think they have more than one sgt. per shift too. They do have waaaaaaay too many cpt's and deputy chiefs though. They have 3 that do different stuff...merge them into ONE and put on like 7 more patrolman and ya still wouldnt hit the 3 cpt's salaries! anyway NYC is "short" staffed. they have more fixed posts than anywhere else. Tunnels and egress/ingress points. Not sure where the brass is?

Not like civil service where you get points but hell it sure isnt going to hurt. if you are a vet or d.v, why the hell arent you a police in ma?

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Because the state and the municipalities are broke.

6. 6083

6083 New Member

haha that is correct. i also have to wait until i am released from active duty in about a month or so and i have to wait to take the exam in a couple months. then comes the phase of the plan i am already quite familiar with...."hurry up and wait"....

So i'll finish up my bachelor's in CJ while I wait on Amtrack, and MA lol....

7. Ilyas

Ilyas New Member

The Amtrak Pd is currently hiring New Orleans area.
    Check out this link
    www.amtrakfop.com

8. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

Hmm it says in big red letters Amtrak is currently recruiting Police Officers nationwide...but there is only a listing for New Orleans :confused:

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Recruiting and hiring are two different things....they can recruit to have a pool of interested applicants when it comes time to hire.

10. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

From what I was told when I called Amtrack HR regarding that announcement, I was told to send a resume and cover letter to the Boston HR office on Summer St. and it would be forwarded to the Amtrak PD who will be contacting qualified applicants when the funding for the positions comes through.

11. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

Hmm think I will send my resume/cover letter for the hell of it. Seems like a good gig.

12. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

you can always say no if it's not what you really want.

13. zuko

zuko MassCops Member

I was a Police Officer with Amtrak in Boston, several years ago. I enjoyed it very much, I made a lot of arrests. However the "bosses" did not like arrests, or being proactive. I was spoken to several times about being proactive and making arrests.

There is plenty of opportunites to make arrests and to be proactive.

The pay sucked and the moral was low.

Last time I was in Boston, I spoke to one of the guy's I use to work with. He said it has got better, however it till could use a tune up.

I worked with a bunch of good guy's and I miss them a lot.

I hope things have changed for the better there.

14. BSP1

BSP1 New Member

Does anyone have the fax number for the Boston office

15. davejoyce2000

davejoyce2000 MassCops Member

Will Amtrak hire you if you don't have previous police academy training? It says it is preferred but are there anyone who was hired without having any previous police background or academy training?

16. Blivid316

YES. When I was hired in july 07, there was a feller who had no police experience, no security related experience and worked at jordans furniture. that was back when APD would hire anyone they could (PS he is a k-9 now and is a great worker). Now that the pay increased, amtrak is more selective.

It is a good time to go through the process. I'd venture to guess about 40% of the dept. nation wide will be hanging up the (large) gun belts soon. A lot of them have been arround since the start of the APD circa 1976. Submit your stuff to the Boston HR office:
    Boston HR Office:
    Amtrak Human Resources
    253 Summer Street
    Suite 204
    Boston, MA 02210
    617-345-7608

Probably going to be hiring 2-4 in Boston in the next year or so.
    Good money, good bennies. Boring ass job most of the time due to what they have us doing. The bosses need to go to. They are hanging around because they got a HUGE ass raise and dont do anything so why would they retire? Some stuff sucks but that’s like any place.
    I think things will get better once a few of these clown supervisors go...ohhh cant come soon enough.

17. 6083

6083 New Member

comin off active duty, seems like a great way to get a k-9 CERT. you guys have any kind of federal quinn bill? i might wait a couple years til i finish school

18. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

Whats APD carry for a their firearm?

19. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

:p That armorer needs to get over to my dept ASAP!

20. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

:DShe can help me shoot things anytime she wants. I thought I was too old to change jobs, but now I'm thinking, you're as old as you feel!

Oh shit, I'm WAY too old to change jobs.:(

I'll still take the help from the range instructor/armorer. I doubt there's any chance of a misfire with help from her! ;)

21. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

From reading some of these posts about Amtrak PD it seems like they have to do a lot of driving around New England. Do they have take home cruisers?

22. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Sounds like MassPike and MassPort as they are both quasi-government agencies (hence still private entities), until the state full changes it. And they both fund MSP for patrols.

23. dsm290

dsm290 New Member

From what I saw from the Amtrak website, they are not hiring in MA.

24. 6083

6083 New Member

When i was talking to one of their officers, he informed me that if you go K-9 then they'll provide a take home SUV w/ cage and credit card for expenses for vehicle and dog.

25. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

I talked to a classmate of mine from Firearms Instructor school. Not much in MA right now. Great job, good pay, good bennies. Take home car if you are K9. He LOVES the job and the guys he works with. Even says the bosses are pretty good. That's a HUGE plus! He highly recommended it to me. Just an FYI. If you can relocate that seems to be the key with all the fed jobs.