Amtrak Police? | Page 2 | MassCops

Amtrak Police?

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by 6083, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

The Amtrak officers are very nice. Feel free to talk to them. The MBTA police on the other hand (no fault of their own) I never see, so I have never talked to an MBTA Officer before.

2. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

Yea it is what it is. It is alright, pros and cons like every job, and it is a start and a foot in the door. Just have to make the best of it and make it work for ya. Railroad retirement is very good. The downside is you have to do 30yrs on and have to be 60 yo, but then you get the average of the top 3 years...whatever percent of that..not too sure..and then your spouse gets half of what you get also. You make 100K and get 80% then your spouse gets 40% on the top of that. Works out pretty good

Hiring consists of a written test,oral interview backround, oral and written psych test, and whatever states there is a poly, you have to take a poly also, not in MA and RI :).The test is like a standard police test. Memory section, reading and grammar I beleive. It is a pass/fail so you dont have to get a 100.
    There is actually no PAT right now. There will be one in the near future, they are working on it now.
    The academy is down at FLETC and it is 3 months in the "dirty south", Southern Georgia. There are more than 80 agencies down at FLETC. Top notch, and second to none training. ATF has there academy right on base. USSS and US Marshals train there as well.

You have noticed too. But like it was said, it is no fault of their own.

Yes that is correct. The T has some really good guys, but there are a few, like every department, that you just can't talk to.

3. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

SSPOs can enforce Ch 90 as long as its a criminal offense.

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

They have the authority to enforce any traffic offense. What they can do in practice is limited to what their access to the magic paper (citation books) is.

5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

There's always a hearing at the Registry. I've never tried it, but as I understand it, if you write a well written letter explaining the infraction and why you wish a hearing, and put it on DEPARTMENT letterhead, it's more often than not granted.

It's actually more of an inconvenience for the person than a cite since they GOTTA GO!

Again, I've never done this, but I hear it works well.

This forum is primarilly about the Amtrak Police, right?

6. 6083

6083 New Member

wow no PAT yet. i imagine that will change extremely soon tho. seems like everyone has one nowadays. gahhh guess ill have to add that amtrak hiring tab right next to the mass state police tab which is currently located next to the mass civil service tab on the top bar on my homepage everytime i turn this damn internet on hahahahaha

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Come now Kilv, you know that any discussion that isn't about town, city, or state police in Massachusetts will eventually devolve into a debate about Chapter 90 authority.

After all, isn't that what being a "real cop" is all about? :rolleyes:

8. dark horse

dark horse MassCops Member

I worked for Amtrak Police several years ago. We didnt do any motor vehicle in the Boston /Rhode Island area. We worked the stations, rode the trains and patroled the property along the line.

It was a pretty good job then and from what I hear its better now because they are more proactive.

9. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I think they might even have a dog now.

10. VincentA66

VincentA66 New Member

They Are Only Hiring In California......everyone Just Stop Asking About Them

11. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

4 dogs

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Is that why the Amtrak jobs website states they are recruiting police officers "nationwide" in big red letters?

13. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Well...
    The other half to that is they usually devolve into anti-sheriff bashing.

14. misconceived

misconceived is Goin down the bah

You forgot to capitalize the E in everyone.

15. cmmccambly

cmmccambly New Member

They are based out of South Boston on Frontage Rd. Small force maybe 10 Officers at most locally in Boston. Federally funded. I believe they are also a part of Homeland Security.

16. cmmccambly

cmmccambly New Member

They do have Chapter 90 powers. I have personally seen them stop and arrest drivers on Dorchester Ave and Frontage Rd. I have personally towed some cars for these guys.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

There's a multitude of reasons why a police officer would stop a car and arrest the operator, that don't involve traffic offenses.

18. GD

GD MassCops Member

I took the test 10yrs ago and it was very political!!!:ninja:

19. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

Pretty sweet gig if you know someone who can get you the job. The guys I've met are good guys. I went to firerams instructors school with a K9 officer from there. Hey Spike, you on this forum? :)

20. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

No Spike is not, I will tell him that you were asking for him.

21. POPCOP

POPCOP MassCops Member

Per Federal Law a RR Polcie Officer is cerified through their primary state of jurisdiction and retain those powers through every state that the rail line occupies. They have the same powers in that state as State Troopers, however, may not always exercise those powers. Under Section 1704 of the U.S. Crime Control Act of 1990, provides that: "A railroad police officer who is certified or commissioned as a police officer under the laws of any one state shall, in accordance with the regulations issued by the U. S. Secretary of Transportation, be authorized to enforce the laws of any other state in which the rail carrier owns property." It is important to note that Section 1704 also states that this police authority is to "the extent of the authority of a police officer certified or commissioned under the laws of that jurisdiction".

22. Blivid316

Blivid316 MassCops Member

yes APD has right of arrest anywhere in MA and RI (where they hold state commissions) and nationally where ever amtrak goes ON amtrak property with right to pursue if a crime happens on property and has to pursue off property.
    No chapter 90 which is stupid.everyone cop in a marked cruiser should have at least some form of it... no citation books for parking enforcement etc.
    again, around the stations amtrak runs out of, they (ok we) should have right of vehhicle stops and the right to issue tickets but we dont.
    it is an OK job. could be A LOT worse. we could do more police work but right now amtrak is worried about terrorism (much like all feds) and wants to prevent it on the rails. Hence the doggies and mobile security teams.
    We do very little patolr work which is a shame because we have A LOT of territory to cover. We get a lot of help from the locals (which they hate being busy themselves) but it's the nature of the beast right now.
    Basically, if you've done your 20 on the beat, apd is for you. a nice retirement job. The guys that work there are all (mostly) great guys. stupidvisors, nuff said.

23. LAWPD79

LAWPD79 MassCops Member

"Basically, if you've done your 20 on the beat, apd is for you. a nice retirement job." Except if you have to watch a prisoner at NEMC ER right Blivid!!!!

24. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Blivid316!

New hires are rare due to budget right? As I understand it, Amtrak has never operated in the black. In addition you're a Quasi-federal agency like the Post office right? It's not like regular fed civil service. So how does anybody get on?
    :-k

25. 6083

6083 New Member

yea im pretty interested.