Amtrak Police? | MassCops

Amtrak Police?

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by 6083, Oct 17, 2008.

1. 6083

6083 New Member

Anyone have any details on these guys? I see them at south station all the time, sometimes with working dogs. Jurisidiction? Pay? Academy? etc....

2. Wiggum_1

Wiggum_1 MassCops Member

I might be wrong, but I think Amtrak is subsidised by the Fedreal Gov't, so they might have jurisdiction all over the place.

I've seen them down in Washington DC at Union Station.

3. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

4. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

I used to know an Amtrak PO but it's been about 10 years since I've seen him. Things there were pretty quiet at that time and he would regularly visit us to kill some time. His dispatcher was operating out of Philly PA and I believe he went to the Glynco Fletc Academy. I couldn't tell you anything specific about what the pay is but at the time it was considerably lower than what the MBTA PD was making.

5. USMC1978

USMC1978 New Member

The wife's little brother is on Amtrack PD. Really enjoys it. They work all over the place. Interesting stories.

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I listen to them on occassion and yup, nights at least, the dispatcher is indeed in Philly.

7. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

I thought I heard starting was at 32K.

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

9. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Just trying to translate... Would 22c-51 entitle them to Ch.90?

10. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

HELL NO!!!!!!
    CH22C (sspo) does NOT confer any CH90!

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Motor vehicle law is not some sort of sacred cow that only certain types of police officers are empowered to enforce. Any SSPO has the authority to enforce traffic laws, it's just they usually don't have access to citation books which makes civil infractions impossible and criminal matters difficult to process.

Remember the definition of "police officer" according to 90C-1; any officer, other than an investigator or examiner of the transportation division of the department of telecommunications and energy, authorized to make arrests or serve criminal process....

Anyone with a SSPO commission satisfies that requirement.

12. DC10

DC10 MassCops Member

Amtrak Police is quasi-federal, meaning federally funded but still a private corp. They recently got a big pay increase, start about 41K, but I believe they gave up quite a bit to get it.

From some other forums, morale could be better as well as mngt. They do train at FLETC but you're limited to the train station, track lines and you do ride trains.

Sounds like it could be an interesting gig. Keep in mind some areas have a highturnover....

13. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

K-9's are big now. They are sent to LAckland airforce base in TX and in Alabama. Starting pay is 44K to start in the academy. After academy 46K, and top pay is 72k without the % increases for the next couple years. Top step does take 26 years to reach. No chapter 90 in MA except for at the RR crossings, but do have full MV powers in CT and in RI. Attended full time federal academy in Glynco, GA. OT comes and goes. Concurrent Jurisdiction with the T, except for Federal stuff. Work out of South station in Boston as well as Providence RI. A lot of territory to cover but you are able to move around alot. Retirement plan is very very good.

Did give up a lot in the contract..no seniority, bid jobs, have to pay for medical now. Morale is very low, and most of the officers have 30+ years on the job between Boston and Providence, so they dont want to do anything. Do have to ride trains when the stupidvisors are around, but can make it work for yourself. South Station does have 10's of thousands of people passing through it daily, so there are a lot of people to watch and a lot of people to deal with. Have a constant homeless, drunks and drug user problem between the train and bus station, so you are constantly running into people who are up to nothing good.

14. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Sweeeeeeeeet....

15. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Bruce,
    You're the man, but your technically wrong here for several reasons;
    1. Many of SSPO's jurisdictions don't have any public ways.
    2. The statutory authority conveyed within CH22C does not, on it's own, refer to Ch.90, or traffic control etc. like CH 73/s.18 State & Community,
    CH75 UMass, or CH15A/s22 laws do.
    3. As you stated earlier, most SSPO's can't get Uniform Citation books for technical reasons, and so in addition, you're wrong from a practical perspective as well.

I'm only saying I strongly disagree with you in the narrow context of SSPO's having CH.90 authority. Again, with exception of Sheriff Powers, town special appointment or whatever, SSPO's don't have CH.90
    ;)

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That's irrelevant.

41-98 makes no reference to motor vehicle law or traffic control either, so I guess I don't have Chapter 90? :cool:

That has no bearing whatsoever on their legal authority to enforce motor vehicle law. The fact they don't have access to pieces of paper to enforce those laws is a foolish technicality of 90C-1's definition of "police chief".

As a matter of law, you're simply incorrect. I understand you don't like SSPO for state colleges & community colleges, and while I agree with you there, until the legislature changes the wording of 90C-1 for the definition of "police officer", SSPO's most certainly do have the authority to enforce motor vehicle law.

17. GD

GD MassCops Member

It is very political to get a job at Amtrak!! I took the test in 1999 and there were 500 applicants. Only 50 took the test and it was pass/fail!!

18. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

where do they post their job openings and does anyone know when the next test for them is?

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

http://jobs.amtrak.com

20. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Well, it looks like there's an opening in Los Angeles.

I feel that when it comes to info on Amtrak PD, ride1620 seems to be the authority. The job seems to have it's good and bad like all jobs.

Pay appears good and no doubt there's a railpass for employees. My Grandfather and Uncle had one when they worked for the railroad as did my Dad when he worked for them YEARS ago. Small perk, but it's something to consider when travelling.

21. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

no seniority, bid jobs, have to pay for medical now

YIKES ! when you say pay for medical , is that like 25% or something ?

and what's up with the seniority ? can they just transfer you from Boston to L.A. ?

22. ride1620

ride1620 MassCops Member

According to the contract there is no seniority but they try to do things somewhat based on seniority for the most part. OT is still called out based on seniority and some other things, but if there is a gripe of something that is seniority based, there can't be a grievance filed because there technically is no "seniority".
    Didn't have to pay for medical up until july07 and now it is around $40/week, with no cap on the limit for the future.
    Techincally they can assign you anywhere they want in the district. The district up here consists of from Boston to New Haven, CT. So they can tell you that you have to report to New Haven tomorrow for your shift and you can't do anything about it, but they would never ever do that. With no bid jobs, they can move your shift around to suit the stupidvisors needs, and to cover some shifts that need to be covered. On an upside, they are very lenient if you have something going on and need to move your hours around.

23. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

not a bad gig , too bad the contract language went out the window for the pay increase.

sounds like your good if in the bosses good graces on the other hand sounds like if you step in the s**t there's not much left to fall back on.

what kind of retirement ?

24. a76589

a76589 MassCops Member

Amtrak had openings in Boston last year. They have been hiring a lot lately, mostly out West and in the DC area. They have had many more officers in Boston over the past few years. I have seen them at South and North Station often, many times more than the MBTA police.

25. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

What does their hiring process consist of?

Hows the test...What the PAT like....

How long is their academy, and which academy do they goto, I know they goto FLETC, but theres like50 different agencies that have academies down there....