Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a local shop that has pricing on cases of ammo similar to shopping the web or back of a gun magazine ????? I went shooting the other night and wanted to pickup 1000 rds of .40 ammo and found that the savings for a bulk purchase like that wasn't as good as I had been told it should be. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dave,

Four Seasons in Woburn has prices that are about equal to mail order (when you include shipping). They also run frequent "Internet Sales" at lower than store-marked prices . . . all you need to do is tell them you want it for their Internet Sale Price. They are also great people to do business with.
www.fsguns.com

Second choice is Wal-Mart. They carry 100packs in Win White Box. Decent plinking and target ammo for cheap prices. Many stores don't carry much of it, but the price is right. [From memory, 100 .45ACP was $19.xx and I think that 100 .40S&W was $16.xx.] Wal-Mart doesn't give price-breaks for case lots, but Four Seasons usually does.

Also you are going to learn real fast that almost nobody will ship ammo to MA. The AG has threatened many out-of-state dealers and the word got out (like an IRS audit, one audit scares 50 people straight) so that most have over-reacted and will refuse to ship almost anything here.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
www.camfour.com in West Springfield will sell directly to departments. They are a VERY large distributor that sells to gunshops in the NE...

www.amchar.com
In NY is the same as above and will sell directly to departments.

Lastly Wlamart...depending on your walmart they will order for you or you have to take what's in stock. I actually purchase in bulk from a walmart in VT because they will order and they also have a certain kind of ammo that I have difficutly getting anywhere else.
Also note that if you order case lots, many of the walmarts give you 10% off...the one near me looks at me like I have three heads when I ask..but the one in VT does it automatically.

Sniper said:
Anyone have a local shop that has pricing on cases of ammo similar to shopping the web or back of a gun magazine ????? I went shooting the other night and wanted to pickup 1000 rds of .40 ammo and found that the savings for a bulk purchase like that wasn't as good as I had been told it should be. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
SOT_II said:
Lastly Wlamart...depending on your walmart they will order for you or you have to take what's in stock. I actually purchase in bulk from a walmart in VT because they will order and they also have a certain kind of ammo that I have difficutly getting anywhere else.
Also note that if you order case lots, many of the walmarts give you 10% off...the one near me looks at me like I have three heads when I ask..but the one in VT does it automatically.
Very interesting! A clerk in Wal-Mart in Hudson, NH mentioned that a case discount may be available, that I should talk with the manager when I ordered. Of course the manager was not in the day I tried to verify the info and they didn't have any quantity of .45ACP in stock anyway.

When I asked the sporting goods manager in the Walpole, MA Wal-Mart about a case lot discount he damn near bit my head off! He got downright nasty, plus said NO!

So, YMMV!

·
Registered
56 Posts
SOT_II said:
www.camfour.com in West Springfield will sell directly to departments. They are a VERY large distributor that sells to gunshops in the NE...

www.amchar.com
In NY is the same as above and will sell directly to departments.

Just an FYI, Camfour is in Westfield, just off IC#3 from the Pike

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Yeah never hurts to ask... you have got to wonder though, why it's one way at one place and not like that at the other...maybe it's the local staff, maybe it's store policy for the individual stores? It's odd.

LenS said:
Very interesting! A clerk in Wal-Mart in Hudson, NH mentioned that a case discount may be available, that I should talk with the manager when I ordered. Of course the manager was not in the day I tried to verify the info and they didn't have any quantity of .45ACP in stock anyway.

When I asked the sporting goods manager in the Walpole, MA Wal-Mart about a case lot discount he damn near bit my head off! He got downright nasty, plus said NO!

So, YMMV!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I live just south of Boston and I actually already deal with Carl at Four Seasons. I buy all my stuff from him usually. I called last week and I asked for him. I was told he was busy so I asked the kid who answered the phone for a bulk ammo price. He told me the only discount that applied was if you buy 500 or 1000 rds they take one dollar off of each 50 rd box. I have a friend who buys his ammo online and he says it is MUCH cheaper that way. I haven't visited the site yet but he says he gets his from www.cheaperthandirt.com . Check it out. I'm gonna try to peruse the site tonight. Later guys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sniper said:
Thanks guys. I live just south of Boston and I actually already deal with Carl at Four Seasons. I buy all my stuff from him usually. I called last week and I asked for him. I was told he was busy so I asked the kid who answered the phone for a bulk ammo price. He told me the only discount that applied was if you buy 500 or 1000 rds they take one dollar off of each 50 rd box. I have a friend who buys his ammo online and he says it is MUCH cheaper that way. I haven't visited the site yet but he says he gets his from www.cheaperthandirt.com . Check it out. I'm gonna try to peruse the site tonight. Later guys.
Good luck with CDT. Here's a quote from an ammo page on their website:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=201006&sku=AMM%2D407&imgid=&mscssid=PQH07SMCMHE79JPE2E3BCT7RPQRE8SB0

"We do not sell ammunition to Hawaii, Alaska, Massachusetts; New York City; Washington, DC; or Cook County, Illinois."

As an example for CDT: Win White Box .45ACP 230gr FMJ is $10.93/box of 50 rds + $3.00/order "handling fee" for all orders of ammunition. Wal-Mart is $19.95/box of 100rds everyday! I fail to see the "deal" on mail-order. Besides I don't trust CDT on their shipping! I see they claim to have gone to a flat rate, but a few years ago they had a "good deal" on ammo cans so I bought ~8 .50cal cans along with a bunch of other stuff. I got a call that the normal S/H fee wasn't "adequate" because the cans are "heavy" . . . they charged me an ADDITIONAL $40.00 for shipping (NOTHING was noted on the catalog page about "additional fees for the cans")!! It was a big order of all sorts of stuff and I didn't want to screw around so I said OK, but they raped me on the S/H and I've never ordered anything from them since.

BTW, Four Seasons has Win White Box 9mm for $129.99/case of the 100rd boxes. Not a bad price at all. CDT shows the exact same item for $15.15/box of 100rds.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=201020&sku=67851&imgid=&mscssid=PQH07SMCMHE79JPE2E3BCT7RPQRE8SB0

This why I stopped price shopping mail order for ammo. Carl fairly prices his ammo, no hassles with who will/won't ship here, no surprises on boosting shipping prices. And we're supporting the local guy so that he'll be there when "we need it now!"

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sniper,

Glad to help.

BTW, when buying case lots at FS best to talk to Carl directly. If any adjustment to prices can be made, only the owner can do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts