Amazing Pursuit Video and OIS (ATLANTIC CITY) | MassCops

Amazing Pursuit Video and OIS (ATLANTIC CITY)

Discussion in 'War Stories' started by Hush, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

This video was released this week...by far one of the most entertaining pursuit videos I've seen so far. Let's open it up to discussion on tactics, pursuit policies, and anything else you see.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Holy sympathetic fire!

Unmarked car should not have been involved, or should have assumed a backup role and not a primary.

BxDetSgt likes this.
  3. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

69 shots fired. Hit him 45 times. They thought he was wearing SBA. He wasn't but had PCP in his system.

And yes, he shot first. Colt 45 with an extended mag. One round left (malfunction)

Good All day long.

4. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Good pursuit. Good shooting. 2 questions.
    1. Why did that guy NEED to be in front of pursuit. It is not a race, don't try and pass other units. He goes wrong way around rotary just to get back in lead.
    2. Why so many plainclothes before uniforms. In any situation like that plainclothes should let uniforms handle to avoid mistaken ID.

Goose likes this.
  5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

This does seem to typify the "East Coast vs West Coast" way of doing things. How would LAPD have handled this? I'm sure LACOPPER is eager to pick this apart.

6. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

LAPD would still be following the guy with no lights or sirens and four helicopters and five AWAC planes.

BxDetSgt and Goose like this.
  7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My goodness, that was interesting to watch. First, I'm glad no officers or civilians were hurt and only the bad guy was. That being said, there are a number of learning points with this one. While the pursuit and OIS are each valid for sure, there are issues with both. I'm guessing this was sorta kinda a "suicide by cop" type situation.

The speeds on city streets, especially through red lights seemed excessive. You're right about one thing Truck, we definitely would've had an air unit over this one for sure.

The first officer is following far too close during the chase, especially at those high speeds, which is why he got caught up behind the two cars at the red light and then got all pissed off about it. That was his fault. If he had more distance behind the suspect's car, he would've been able to go around with no problem. Once that happened he went kind of crazy and obviously "lost it."

He really drove way too fast at that point, through several red lights, around other patrol cars, and then as Bx said, around the rotary the wrong way to pass everyone to become primary again. He would be in "a bit of trouble" for several of these things with my department and rightfully so. As long as we get the bad guy, it shouldn't matter who the primary unit is, we're all on the same team.

Since there were two different agencies involved, I wonder if they could communicate with each other? If they couldn't, then the sheriff vehicle should've dropped out.

At the end of the pursuit, even though he knew the suspect had a gun, the officer still left cover (with a Blue Tooth in his right ear, which I find strange while on patrol) and started to approach on foot. Big mistake. He's lucky he wasn't shot.

Then as others have mentioned, that was obviously contagious fire at the end. That was a heck of a lot of rounds, especially towards the end. I can't speak for New Jersey but we have to account for every round fired and I can't see how they can account for that last bunch.

Also agree regarding the plainclothes guys approaching, especially the way they did. it didn't look like they had any kind of plan, they just kind of went up as a crowd rather than a stick with a plan.

Interesting how the suspect never dropped the cigarette in his left hand. It remained between his index and middle fingers the whole time. Kinda weird.

Thanks for posting this Hush. This is the kind of thing we should be talking about on this site as there are always things to learn: good and or bad.

Goose likes this.