Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any ANG Security Force members here? If so what can you tell me about it. I am considering joining specifically for this MOS. Any and all info would be appreciated (training, drills, deployments etc.). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey john77, I was a Security Police Officer in the Air National Gaurd. However I satarted out as an Army MP, and then trasfered. That being said, I could not tell you much about the Air Force training, except what I heard. Allthough I can tell you that being an Air Force SP is a very cool job, and the Air Force is a great branch of the Military. If you want to get treated like a grunt then join the Marines or the Army like I did. If you want to eat good, and get nice clean sheets then join the Air Force for sure.

NARC

·
Registered
109 Posts
OH I almost forgot, monthly drills ussually consisted of two 8 hour days, and you can go home at night. If you join the Army, you are looking at a full weekend in the woods without a break. Also You may want to find out how the possible closing of Otis AFB will effect you getting the MOS you want though. Remember regardless of what your recruiter tells you they are going to have to find a home for the 150 or so SP's at Otis. Just something to consider.

NARC

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NARC. Yeah the closing of the base may be an issue. I don't know if they actually have SF at other bases besides Westfield. With the base closing not happening for another year or few I am hoping that I can get in either at Otis or Westfield now and then deall with the closings when/if they occur.

·
Registered
109 Posts
john, I really would not worry that much about the base closing. The jets at Otis protect the entire East Coast. It is just a question you want to find out before you sign your life over to Uncle sam. Just find out where they would send you if the base closed. Good luck buddy.

NARC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Accually if you are at Otis you might get deployed for Homeland Security, but that is probably it. The jets are here to protect the East Coast so they generally stay here, so the SP's do to. Now if you are an MP, you might as well get fitted for you desert gear as soon as you enlist.

NARC

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
John 77,

Words of advice concerning the Air Force / Air Guard etc. I'm looking at the tail end of my year in Iraq. I have both MP's and SF who work for me, active and reserve component.

While I agree with the other writers that the AF is an overall outstanding gig (If I could do it over again)! If you are remotely worried about being deployed, do not sign up! Your chances are high that you'll go somewhere. Yes you could go someplace "cool" on Homeland Security or to the relatively safe area of Kuwiat etc. You could also end up here in Mosul, you'll have noticed it is not a quiet corner of Iraq.

Basically, look hard before jumping man!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not concerned about deploying, wherever it may be. That's not to say I want to be deployed to Mosul, but then again I don't think most people want to be deployed there. I have been thinking long and hard about this and I do believe it is something I really want to do, but I still have questions that I need to have answered. So I will be sitting down with my recruiter in the next week or so and hopefully get it all hashed out.

I appreciate everyones input and would encourage you all to keep it coming (good or bad).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question for those of you that know.

What is the difference between Security Forces and Security Forces-Combat Arms?

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
I'm going back a few years *ahem* but if I remember correctly the AF divided their security components into Air Base Ground Defenders and Law Enforcement. ABGD counted rivets on planes and screwed w/ maintenance personnel on the flight lines and LE were "cops". So your Security Forces-Combat Arms are the rivet counters and Security Forces are LE.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Combat Arms Training and Maintence (CATM) section of an Air Force Security Forces Squadron are firearms instructors and maintainers. The tendency for some people to call CATM "combat arms" confuses people who do not know much about what they do. So, in a nutshell they are a group of Air Force cops who went to an extra school to learn how to be firearms instructors and how to repair and maintain weapons.

John77 - Being a Security Policeman in the Air National Guard is a good gig but, I need to warn you that while law enforcement is a big part of the Security Forces career field but, the Air National Guard Bases here in Massachusetts do not have much of a law enforcement mission so they concentrate mostly on base security. Example: On a military base most of your police work comes from situations in base housing, the club on base, shopliftings at the exchange, etc. At Otis the housing area, club, and exchange are managed by the Coast Guard which employs a rent-a-cop security company to "Police" their areas. This translates into a lack of law enforcement activity for the Otis SP's. It is even worse at Barnes ANGB in Westfield. They are a tenent at a small municipal airport, not much police work to be done there. Westover ARB does have a law enforcement misson, but by far the best law enforcement mission for Air Force SP's in Massachusetts is at Hanscom Air Force Base. Hanscom is an active duty base and about 30,000 people work at Hanscom, mostly civilians. Additionally, Hanscom has a housing area, exchange, club, etc. Hanscom is not the crime capitol of the Air Force by any means, but you will do more police work at Hanscom then at any other Air Force installation in Massachusetts. If you are interested in Hanscom you will need to see an Air Force Reserve recuiter. There is one in Braintree in the basement level of the south shore plaza. Tell hime you are interested in the IMA program and that you want to be a cop at Hanscom. He might try to talk you into Westover ARB but it's your choice. Also, the IMA program is a bit more selective so unless you are prior service military you may not be selected, in that case one of the other bases may be your only option and then you can transfer after a few years. Maybe sooner if Otis does end being selected for closure.

Deployments - Most deployments for AF reserve and Air National Guard cops are currently being filled by volunteers. Also the standard AF deployment is anywhere from 3-6 months. Not bad compared to the Army's one year or more deployments.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks militia_man, great information. Do you mind if I pick your brain a little more?

What is the average day/drill like for a SF at one of the "base security" installations? Is it just checking peoples ids at the gate or is there more to it? Is it patrol based or fixed positions?

How about at Hanscom?

Thanks for your help.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
John 77.

No offense ment at all by my earlier and best of luck to you! Now, try to join in MA or CT (RI's tuition assistance is a joke) if you go the ANG route, 100% tuition at state schools!!

In dealing with a recruiter, treat them as if your buying a car. Tell 'em what you want, it's a buyers market as the services are not making mission with new folks coming in. They can't get you everything but..... "shop around!"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
redpara,

No worries, no offense taken. I agree it seems like the recruiters will tell you whatever you want to hear, but the one I am working with now seems to be OK. I have pretty much made up my mind to go ahead with it, but I still have a few more questions.

I am 27, is that old, young or middle of the road for ANG? How about for SF specifically?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SPINMASS I just PM'ed you. I don't think it went through though, because I forgot to put a subject. Let me know whether you got it or not so I don't double up.

Thanks

·
Registered
715 Posts
John77 - At 27 you will be one of the older guys in basic training and tech school but once you are back with your unit you will find a wide range of ages from fresh out of high school to people in their 50's. National Guard and reservists on average are older than the active duty force because the retention is much higher in the National Guard and reserve.

As for a typical drill day at Otis, all of the squadrons in the fighter wing drill on the same weekend. The SP's generally train in the basic fundamentals of the Security Forces career field. If no training is scheduled then you may end up working duty flight. This would be anything from riding on a base patrol, working the gate, response team member, or flightline security. A few of the duties are static posts but most of them are in a vehicle. Sometimes during a drill weekend when there is not much training scheduled there is a lot of down time and you may find yourself not doing anything at all but hanging out.

Now about Hanscom. Hanscom is an active duty base and the SP's at Hanscom have only one mission at home station, law enforcement. You would not find yourself working the gates too much because a civilian contract company works the gates. Although as a new and low ranking troop if they did need to put an SP on the gate with a civilian then you would be the most likely to be put on the gate. Gates are not bad at all if you enjoy interacting with the public, not to mention you get to see all of the attractive women that pass through the gate. Most Hanscom cops on duty flight end up riding on a law enforcement patrol. Hanscom does not have a lot of crime compared to larger bases but incidents do happen. Hanscom also has a small correctional facility for short-term inmates and this is staffed on an as needed basis.

Bottom line, if you want to do 100% police work try to get a slot at Hanscom. If you don't mind pulling security duties then go with the Air National Guard at Otis or Barnes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.